Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 03:26 PM   #14621
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It makes no sense that fans of this team want to hand out big money long term deals for players who average .5ppg and will be over 30 for 80% of the contract. All we heard this year on this forum is how the Flames do not have enough high end talent so it makes no sense to me we would spend valuable cap space on another middle 6 player.
If you can achieve change, and net positive assets, why not?

Unless you believe there is a massive difference between Backlund and Danault (IMO the former is a bit better offensively, the latter a bit better defensively, but overall a wash). You get 3 years younger and a fresh face coming off an actual winning situation.

RW (especially RHS) seems to actually be a harder slot for us to fill than 2-3C.

If you could move Backlund (or Monahan) for a pick and RW, couldn't we kill several birds at once? Maybe a Silfverberg or Rakell?Arvidsson? Bryan Rust? Kapanen? NTC probably precludes it, but I'd even take TJ Oshie+futures (and move on from Gaudreau).

I know these options are crap...but that's pretty much what we're looking at.

Who do you feel more confident in? Danault or Armia? It's slim pickings...Chiasson, B Sutter, Hinostroza, Gusev, Bobby Ryan, Hoffman, Palmieri, Saad, Perry (not likely we land any of the italicized)
Old 06-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #14622
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
As someone who absolutely hated the Tanev signing and was praying Seattle would take his horrible contract off our hands, there is absolutely no way we can expose him after the dominant season he had.

He was by far our best defenseman and very possibly the best defensive defenseman in the entire NHL.

He dominated every time he was on the ice and that was despite playing with broken ribs and a torn pectoral for the last months of the season.

Based on the horrible division they're in and with a full season of Darryl Sutter behind the bench, there's actually a better chance the Flames get home ice advantage in the first round of the Playoffs rather than missing the Playoffs altogether.
And what is looking like a very interesting case example on the importance of where a player plays and who he plays with when it comes to underlying stats.

Everyone had Tanev heavily on the decline and the Flames crazy for giving him four years.

Instead he "fixed" Hanifin, turned Giordano's season around while his old partner in Vancouver cratered completely.

xGA60 last year ...

Quinn Hugues 19th worst at 2.50 (out of 156 defensemen that played at least 600 minutes).

Tanev ... 1st at 1.47

I'm a big fan of analytics, love the way we can drill into players and get a better understanding. For the most part they seem to fit what I see ... but every once in a while we get a case in point where they don't have all of it figured out.

Reminds me of a few years ago when everyone was drooling over the shrewd Islanders robbing the Senators of Shane Prince ... analytics community had him as a hidden gem. Out of the league in four years.

Or Kris Russell. Warrior for blocking shots at the rate he does, but is he creating the need to block the shot? Kind of like calling a guy a hero for putting out a house fire when in actuality he's the arsonist.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #14623
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

My theory is Flames fans judged Tanev by his long hair and missing teeth and figured he was a slow, old-school hack. Where in reality he’s a smart, smooth-skating shutdown player. He just doesn’t look the part.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2021, 04:05 PM   #14624
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
My theory is Flames fans judged Tanev by his long hair and missing teeth and figured he was a slow, old-school hack. Where in reality he’s a smart, smooth-skating shutdown player. He just doesn’t look the part.
Or, he was a Canuck made of glass. Whichever lol.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:19 PM   #14625
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Or, he was a Canuck made of glass. Whichever lol.
No, you're thinking of Tanner Glass.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #14626
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
No one knows anything about how he feels about being away from his family. So calling it a "bluff" is ridiculous.

Maybe it wont bother him, maybe there is no chance he leaves his wife for that long alone with children. I certainly understand both sides of that coin.

Also, there is little chance Seattle is anymore a SC contender than Calgary, so any incentive that way doesnt exist.

Francis as a long time player like Gio, certainly would also have the understanding of not wanting to move if such a move isn't wanted.

all this is just speculation though.

My guess is that Gio makes it known he would rather not go, BT makes a small side deal with Francis to not select him and Seattle takes someone else.
But Why????

What does Gio give us that is worth paying any pieces to protect, so that Seattle takes another piece instead? Gio struggled with the pace last year, doesn't appear to be motivating anyone, and likely won't be attractive to any team at the deadline. Seattle is hoping for deals from teams to protect pieces that they weren't going to take anyways. We are a divisional rival. If we aren't exposing something they can use, they would much rather pick something they have no interest in using than do something that gives us cap space. That's not just a Gio contract more for us to spend on the same pool of FA's they will be looking at, but a Gio contract less for them to spend.

Likewise to those who are holding out hope that they take Looch, or in the bizarro-world that is Edmonton fandom, Seattle taking Neal, is just not going to happen, why would they help their opponents clear up cap space.

Seriously though, what is wrong with some Oilers fans? Had one tell me that Seattle is so convince they are the fresh start Neal needs that they will give up acquired prospects to Edmonton to leave him exposed.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:39 PM   #14627
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

"likely won't be attractive to any team at the deadline".

I disagree entirely. He will be on an expiring deal and is still a quality dman.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2021, 05:03 PM   #14628
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
"likely won't be attractive to any team at the deadline".

I disagree entirely. He will be on an expiring deal and is still a quality dman.
Don't get me wrong, I like Gio, its just that the teams that might feel he gives them that bump in experience and leadership to go all the way probably won't have the cap space, and will want to unload bad salary back this way. Teams with cap space at the deadline are probably sellers, or will be interested in a flashier piece. I don't see a team willing to give us anything that will be worth more than what we pay as "protection" to keep Seattle from taking him. Especially since I don't think he is a piece they will be interested in, which means anything we pay to keep him is unnecessary.

Historically here, we covet an asset as way more valuable than it is, hold it past it's prime value has expired, and then trade it at the deadline for later round picks.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:08 PM   #14629
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostCookie View Post
But Why????

What does Gio give us that is worth paying any pieces to protect, so that Seattle takes another piece instead? Gio struggled with the pace last year, doesn't appear to be motivating anyone, and likely won't be attractive to any team at the deadline.
Why? He was still the team leader in TOI and although he struggled when paired with Andersson, he was pretty damn good once Tanev was moved to his pairing. You dont think he will have value at the TDL? Yeah...he will have LOTS of value at the TDL.

Quote:
Seattle is hoping for deals from teams to protect pieces that they weren't going to take anyways. We are a divisional rival. If we aren't exposing something they can use, they would much rather pick something they have no interest in using than do something that gives us cap space. That's not just a Gio contract more for us to spend on the same pool of FA's they will be looking at, but a Gio contract less for them to spend.
I have no idea what you are trying to say here, but if you are saying they wouldnt select Gio over Kylington, i believe that to be completely false.

Quote:
Likewise to those who are holding out hope that they take Looch, or in the bizarro-world that is Edmonton fandom, Seattle taking Neal, is just not going to happen, why would they help their opponents clear up cap space.
Seattle, wont be going with just cheaper younger guys. They will need some veteran leadership and toughness. Not saying they will take Lucic unless incentivized to do so. And even then they may not want to, but never hurts to have that conversation.

Quote:
Seriously though, what is wrong with some Oilers fans? Had one tell me that Seattle is so convince they are the fresh start Neal needs that they will give up acquired prospects to Edmonton to leave him exposed.
Well....first of all.......they are Oiler fans.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:09 PM   #14630
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1410360756919541770
Old 06-30-2021, 05:13 PM   #14631
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
Will sign in Boston im guessing.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:25 PM   #14632
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That kind of stinks for Detroit ehh?
Old 06-30-2021, 05:40 PM   #14633
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have no idea what you are trying to say here, but if you are saying they wouldnt select Gio over Kylington, i believe that to be completely false.
Rumblings are they want to draft the absolute minimum possible salary ($48.9M IIRC) to keep their extortion options wide open.

It isn't really a case of Gio vs. OK. It's Gio vs. other high AAV's available [vs. their alternative young options]
Old 06-30-2021, 06:00 PM   #14634
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostCookie View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like Gio, its just that the teams that might feel he gives them that bump in experience and leadership to go all the way probably won't have the cap space, and will want to unload bad salary back this way. Teams with cap space at the deadline are probably sellers, or will be interested in a flashier piece. I don't see a team willing to give us anything that will be worth more than what we pay as "protection" to keep Seattle from taking him. Especially since I don't think he is a piece they will be interested in, which means anything we pay to keep him is unnecessary.

Historically here, we covet an asset as way more valuable than it is, hold it past it's prime value has expired, and then trade it at the deadline for later round picks.
Each deadline is different but you don't need a ton of cap at the deadline - as if you have space it builds up. The Flames could also choose to retain. Nick Foligno netted a 1st at the deadline and I think Gio could do the same.
My concern though is that the Flames may not be fully "out of it" at that TDL to make that move.

But I think he's worth a late 1st at the deadline next year.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:05 PM   #14635
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
That kind of stinks for Detroit ehh?
Yzerman played GM on the “easy” mode while in Tampa where all the players wanted to sign.

Now he’s playing GM at “medium” difficulty level in Detroit.

Maybe one day, he can GM the Flames, Jets or Senators for a real challenge.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:14 PM   #14636
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Rumblings are they want to draft the absolute minimum possible salary ($48.9M IIRC) to keep their extortion options wide open.

It isn't really a case of Gio vs. OK. It's Gio vs. other high AAV's available [vs. their alternative young options]
They are still going to want to be competitive and yes it depends on who else is available and chosen..obviously.

Though i dont think anyone other than Francis and Leiwike has a clue on their strategy.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:11 PM   #14637
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They are still going to want to be competitive and yes it depends on who else is available and chosen..obviously.

Though i dont think anyone other than Francis and Leiwike has a clue on their strategy.
Yes. They can also only retain on 3 players at a time, and I imagine ownership would prefer to retain on back-diving deals if possible

McDonagh/Cernak
Skjei/Gardiner/Bean
Dumba
Chiarot/Edmundson
Ekholm/Fabbro (though they may go 4-4)

COL and several other teams may expose a very good D

Of course we have no idea who will/won't be exposed.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:20 PM   #14638
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Tanev is exposed in the expansion draft, who would Seattle pick if not him?

Tanev would be 100% picked. Seattle would either keep him or trade him for a bunch.

Ask Quinn Hughes and Noel Hanifin how good he made them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2021, 08:32 PM   #14639
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If Tanev is exposed in the expansion draft, who would Seattle pick if not him?

Tanev would be 100% picked. Seattle would either keep him or trade him for a bunch.

Ask Quinn Hughes and Noel Hanifin how good he made them.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:36 AM   #14640
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Canucks moving on from Nate Schmidt?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1410645210267279361
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread