Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 12:58 PM   #14261
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
“Saying “hearing” is a little different, no? Now you get the question - hearing from who?

We tend to lump a whole bunch of different stories into “trade rumours”. There are some obvious speculation/armchair GM - just a pundits opinion of what they think would work. Some are actual reporting on what insiders in various clubs have said. Some are planted by agents or GMs. And some is just very waffle stuff intended to get clicks and to make it appear the reporter is on the job.
My sources.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #14262
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“Saying “hearing” is a little different, no? Now you get the question - hearing from who?

We tend to lump a whole bunch of different stories into “trade rumours”. There are some obvious speculation/armchair GM - just a pundits opinion of what they think would work. Some are actual reporting on what insiders in various clubs have said. Some are planted by agents or GMs. And some is just very waffle stuff intended to get clicks and to make it appear the reporter is on the job.
For most of them even when they are saying that they are “hearing” something, they are just speculating and trying to make it seem more than that. In my opinion of course. I believe most rumour mongers are full of it.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:15 PM   #14263
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
For most of them even when they are saying that they are “hearing” something, they are just speculating and trying to make it seem more than that. In my opinion of course. I believe most rumour mongers are full of it.
Some of the “hearing” is probably just from other rumour mongers. And it gets morphed. Pundit A says “here’s a deal that would make sense”. Pundit B says “I’m hearing that a deal could work this way”. Pundit C says “I’m hearing this deal is being discussed “. Reader says “wow there’s a deal in the works”.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 01:16 PM   #14264
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
My sources.
Still not doing it right, unless you actually have sources. Read Friedman - he’s pretty careful to distinguish between speculation and sourced stuff, but you have to look carefully. People don’t and that’s why he gets huffy, though in fact it’s all part of the game.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #14265
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Still not doing it right, unless you actually have sources. Read Friedman - he’s pretty careful to distinguish between speculation and sourced stuff, but you have to look carefully. People don’t and that’s why he gets huffy, though in fact it’s all part of the game.
Yeah, well the reference point isn't Friedman, it's Eklund, so...
Old 06-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #14266
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The voices in my head are telling me that a hockey player will be traded before the draft....now they're telling me to set a bunch of things on fire. Can we discuss the possible trades so I don't start lighting fires?
Old 06-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #14267
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can start making up rumours if you'd like.

Hearing Calgary, Buffalo, and the Rangers are discussing a three-way trade that could see Reinhart and Lindholm both move. Please discuss.
That is what this whole thread is. Speculation much of it made up from the minds of fans. You could say “what do you guys think of trading Lindholm to the Rangers to get Reinhart, and the Sabres get futures?”

I get people don’t like Eklund but BY FAR the most irritating thing regarding him is the countless posts that follow that call him a fraud or whatever. Just scroll past and move on. I won’t lie I see something on that site flames related that hasn’t been posted in a SPECULATION thread I might share the info. I don’t even give the guy clicks by posting a link just mentioning what he is peddling we can talk about that or not.

Unless Bingo and the Mods decide posting anything Eklund related is a bannable offense it is going to get posted on here. Just scroll past and move on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 01:53 PM   #14268
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Unless Bingo and the Mods decide posting anything Eklund related is a bannable offense
I vote for this.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #14269
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eklund was one of the first guys to use the internet effectively to spread NHL rumors. So, I think even though he is worthless as an insider, you have to respect the hustle of getting there first.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #14270
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Eklund was one of the first guys to use the internet effectively to spread NHL rumors. So, I think even though he is worthless as an insider, you have to respect the hustle of getting there first.
That's the same reason I only use AltaVista for all my web searches.

Hit me up on Friendster, yo!
Old 06-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #14271
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is what this whole thread is. Speculation much of it made up from the minds of fans. You could say “what do you guys think of trading Lindholm to the Rangers to get Reinhart, and the Sabres get futures?”

I get people don’t like Eklund but BY FAR the most irritating thing regarding him is the countless posts that follow that call him a fraud or whatever. Just scroll past and move on. I won’t lie I see something on that site flames related that hasn’t been posted in a SPECULATION thread I might share the info. I don’t even give the guy clicks by posting a link just mentioning what he is peddling we can talk about that or not.

Unless Bingo and the Mods decide posting anything Eklund related is a bannable offense it is going to get posted on here. Just scroll past and move on.
The Eklund bashing is the only thing I like about people posting his made up BS. Why would I want to scroll by and miss that?

Almost all speculation gets twisted into rumours. For one, even when sources say they “heard” something, they know they will never have to prove it.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:20 PM   #14272
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Friedman is also often very cryptic and beats around the bush enough that I think that message gets lost. It’s hard to tell sometimes with him. It’s like he wants some ambiguity, but also the safety net of being able to go back and claim it was just speculation. It’s perfect actually as he can’t lose.

He’s really good at saying a lot without actually saying much.

“I’ve heard rumours that some are speculating that so and so may be traded and the team that would be interested is Calgary...”

“It’s quite possible that Calgary might want to trade Bill Bumface, so I would not be shocked at all if rumours regarding that start surfacing more as the season approaches.”

Obvious not quoting Friedman verbatim, but just an example of how insiders purposely try to make things muddy.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-23-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #14273
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“It’s quite possible that Calgary might want to trade Bill Bumface…”

Obvious not quoting Friedman verbatim, but just an example of how insiders purposely try to make things muddy.
Obviously! Everyone knows Bill Bumface plays for the Banff Fighting Squirrels. The only way he's ever leaving there is if he gets claimed in the expansion draft by the Ottumwa Hog Stompers.

(Sorry if I'm outing you, Bill. I assumed it was common knowledge.)
Old 06-23-2021, 02:58 PM   #14274
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My sources.
The voices in your head are not reliable sources, Pep!
Old 06-23-2021, 03:19 PM   #14275
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Friedman is also often very cryptic and beats around the bush enough that I think that message gets lost. It’s hard to tell sometimes with him. It’s like he wants some ambiguity, but also the safety net of being able to go back and claim it was just speculation. It’s perfect actually as he can’t lose.

“I’ve heard rumours that some are speculating that so and so may be traded and the team that would be interested is Calgary...”
I think a lot of the speculation Friedman indulges in is based on scuttlebutt from genuine NHL insiders - agents, team execs, etc. It’s still speculation, but its proximity to people who actually know what’s going on behind closed doors gives it more credibility than the typical rumours, which aren’t much more than journalists picking up on speculation by other journalists and running with it.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #14276
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

It's not that serious. Just funny. I was making a joke, like, if you just want something Eklundish to discuss, I also can provide that because we have similar sources and a similar track record. A joke. A haha. I don't find Eklund nor the posts trashing him irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
The voices in your head are not reliable sources, Pep!
Yeah, that's what some of them keep saying to me, "we're not reliable sources!", but those ones are too crazy not to trust.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #14277
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Trade Tkachuk because he probably gets you the best return and he in no way is worth $9m.

Trade Monahan because he can’t skate.

That would shake up the core and either leave you with a ton of cap space (especially if Gio gets picked by Seattle) or with a new group of top level forwards.
There is the possibility to sign Tkachuk to another contract before the 9M qualifying offer, and that number can be less than 9M. Say a 7x7.5 contract extension.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:30 PM   #14278
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

“It’s quite possible that Calgary might want to trade Bill Bumface, so I would not be shocked at all if rumours regarding that start surfacing more as the season approaches.”

I know. It’s funny how bent out of shape he got a couple years ago when people misconstrued his precise words into something stronger.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:34 PM   #14279
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown75 View Post
There is the possibility to sign Tkachuk to another contract before the 9M qualifying offer, and that number can be less than 9M. Say a 7x7.5 contract extension.
The 9 mill QO was likely the primary provision that Tkachuk wanted out of the last deal.
He's not going to just throw it away when he can make 7 mill, then 9 mill, then be a UFA at 25 when the cap is no longer flat. This is Tkachuk we're talking about.

7.5 would be miles out of the question. Maybe an 8.8 x 5 could be possible. But I think Tkachuk would be able to get over 9 mill AAV when he's a UFA at 25. The cap will likely really go up at that point. And he'd be young enough that no one cares about the effects of aging.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 06-23-2021 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:08 PM   #14280
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
The 9 mill QO was likely the primary provision that Tkachuk wanted out of the last deal.
He's not going to just throw it away when he can make 7 mill, then 9 mill, then be a UFA at 25 when the cap is no longer flat. This is Tkachuk we're talking about.

7.5 would be miles out of the question. Maybe an 8.8 x 5 could be possible. But I think Tkachuk would be able to get over 9 mill AAV when he's a UFA at 25. The cap will likely really go up at that point. And he'd be young enough that no one cares about the effects of aging.
Depends, if he has another subpar season, no one signs him at nine. He could sign 8x8 this summer and doesn't matter if he sucks.
Closed Thread