Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2024, 01:12 PM   #1401
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Was at selhurst a couple months ago. It's such a fantastic place with a lot of soul... they've upgraded the corporate facilities and amenities a bunch over their decade in the prem and added a fan zone so you can get that type of experience with all the amenities if you want it pre-game, but once you get into your seat in the stadium it feels like going back in time and has a fenway pre-renovation feel. The close quarters and the grassroots connection feeling of the local working class people who come out for me is something that's been lost at a lot of the big money clubs where they've built these uber modern mega stadiums with insane ticket prices. And the walk up is great coming through all the brick houses in Croydon and with the pubs nearby.

The new stand is badly needed and is going to give them a ton of needed new revenue to compete at the highest level but will be a bit sad to see the old main stand gone even if it is too small and dated. At least the Holmesdale and the Arthur Wait aren't being changed. The whitehorse can get demolished immediately for all I care it's a dump built on top of a Sainsburys.
I'd love to see photos if you have any.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:59 PM   #1402
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who needs two halves? Just the second please.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-21-2024, 02:15 PM   #1403
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'd love to see photos if you have any.
Will DM you a short vid
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 02:56 PM   #1404
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Will DM you a short vid
Oh that looks alright! Thank you sir!

Old 02-21-2024, 02:56 PM   #1405
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Porto scores in the last minute of stoppage
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 03:04 PM   #1406
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Oh that looks alright! Thank you sir!
No worries, it was a blast! If you do get the chance to go down the road and want to chat about stands and pregaming let me know.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:13 PM   #1407
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No worries, it was a blast! If you do get the chance to go down the road and want to chat about stands and pregaming let me know.
Ahhh....I wish my Father-in-Law was still alive, I'd totally have taken him to a match. Alas, the timing just never worked and my mother-in-law has no interest.

And if I couldnt get my wife to go with me to Paris I dont think she's going to up and go to Croyden.

Old 02-21-2024, 03:32 PM   #1408
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Ahhh....I wish my Father-in-Law was still alive, I'd totally have taken him to a match. Alas, the timing just never worked and my mother-in-law has no interest.

And if I couldnt get my wife to go with me to Paris I dont think she's going to up and go to Croyden.
Yeah a football centric trip is a tough sell for most guys wives ... next year I want to try to swing a guys trip and do a football and breweries week in London.... an EPL game and maybe a championship or lower league game the other day each weekend and squeeze in a midweek champions league game. Loftus Road, Craven Cottage and Selhurst are the main places I'd want to hit. Maybe the Bridge too. Some of the new stadiums (other than West ham) are really nice to look at and make money but I don't find it as fun, though reserve judgement on the new Spurs stadium it looks much nicer than the others.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:37 PM   #1409
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah a football centric trip is a tough sell for most guys wives ... next year I want to try to swing a guys trip and do a football and breweries week in London.... an EPL game and maybe a championship or lower league game the other day each weekend and squeeze in a midweek champions league game. Loftus Road, Craven Cottage and Selhurst are the main places I'd want to hit. Maybe the Bridge too. Some of the new stadiums (other than West ham) are really nice to look at and make money but I don't find it as fun, though reserve judgement on the new Spurs stadium it looks much nicer than the others.
Just watch out for the Seat Heaters, apparently they'll weld your ass cheeks together.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:53 PM   #1410
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife isn't a sports fan in general, and she's come to Spurs with me a couple of times. She had a blast! I guess it depends on where you sit, and what kind of fan you are. I think a lot of her enjoyment was taking videos of me singing and drinking, etc.

I think if I could pick a time to go and try to stack up some games though, I'd want to be there for that first week in January and see some FA Cup matches. You might get to see a more eclectic group of teams and a couple fun games that way.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 10:56 PM   #1411
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That depends, Darwin also came off injured, but they said that was 'precautionary' so if its not so bad I could see him getting the Lion's share of them.

Otherwise? Gakpo. I'd like to see Gakpo get more minutes but he's constantly getting hurt too.
Kinda forgot about gakpo

Those eredivisie buys have busted more than boomed lately

At least hes not Antony
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:57 PM   #1412
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
My wife isn't a sports fan in general, and she's come to Spurs with me a couple of times. She had a blast! I guess it depends on where you sit, and what kind of fan you are. I think a lot of her enjoyment was taking videos of me singing and drinking, etc.

I think if I could pick a time to go and try to stack up some games though, I'd want to be there for that first week in January and see some FA Cup matches. You might get to see a more eclectic group of teams and a couple fun games that way.
I'm guessing she prefers the new stadium over WHL?

When the game is less important I'm sure the amenities make a big difference
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 04:24 AM   #1413
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Kinda forgot about gakpo

Those eredivisie buys have busted more than boomed lately

At least hes not Antony
He should get that tattooed across his back...or his face!

"At Least I'm Not Antony!"

Gakpo is pretty good I find and I think he's just going to get better and better. His issues are:

- Injured very regularly
- Lack of a run of match time

He needs to stay healthy and be started for a number of games in a row. Honestly, I find that he and Diaz are really starting to find some chemistry.

Gravenberch is another one, he seems like he's just on the cusp of finding his feet and getting used to the PL but again, he needs a run of games.

Which is going to be tough because, if I'm honest, Klopp has thrown these Academy kids in and they look like they're veterans. Thats some hard competition for spots.

Its probably the only time I'll say a good thing about the availability of 5 subs. Its nice to be able to give Academy kids a run-out.

Old 02-23-2024, 06:17 AM   #1414
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Liverpool assistant manager Pep Lijnders has said he is hopeful Mohamed Salah will be fit for Sunday's Carabao Cup final against Chelsea, but said his participation remains in doubt.

Both Salah and Darwin Núñez missed Wednesday's match against Luton Town after featuring for Liverpool at Brentford last weekend.

Ljinders confirmed the absences of Curtis Jones, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Alisson and Diogo Jota for Sunday's final but threw his backing behind the club's academy players to step up in their place.

Academy graduates Caoimhin Kelleher, Jarell Quansah and Conor Bradley, who all started in Liverpool's win over Luton Town on Wednesday, have played key-roles for Liverpool this season. The win over Luton also saw academy-players Bobby Clark, Jayden Danns and James McConnell come off the bench.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/...juries-pile-up

Welp. It looks like its going to be Chelsea vs. Liverpool's Academy for the Cariboo Cup.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 08:07 AM   #1415
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are we watching this morning? I'm following Palace/Burnley.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:47 AM   #1416
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am watching the same match. Terrible pass from Trafford to put Brownhill in a position where he had no choice but to take a straight red. These guys are one of the worst teams in Premier League history. They jettisoned over half their squad despite running away with the Championship last season, and brought in a ton of expensive young players who are just not good enough.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 08:52 AM   #1417
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
I am watching the same match. Terrible pass from Trafford to put Brownhill in a position where he had no choice but to take a straight red. These guys are one of the worst teams in Premier League history. They jettisoned over half their squad despite running away with the Championship last season, and brought in a ton of expensive young players who are just not good enough.
We have a Motto here in my office.

"Dont F### around with it in front of your own net!"

Trafford should have just put his foot through that. He was in trouble and he knew it.

He sold Brownhill out.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:18 AM   #1418
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far so good. Now we see how the rest of the day plays out.

Old 02-24-2024, 12:11 PM   #1419
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Watched same game... Palace getting 3 goals and 3 points with Eze, Olise, Guehi and Doucoure out was huge. Burnley look absolutely terrible front to back. It's wild to see them buying and playing such a young squad, they really seem content to try to build some value in their players, bank the money and go down this year. Imagine their financial accounts will be ridiculously strong heading into the champ next year - same as the blades, barely spending any money and just pocketing the TV money and parachute payments. Also Palace seem to have a next crop of good youngsters coming in Wharton and Franca, those are two very good players - I think Wharton just had a bday but seeing teenagers play in the prem and impact games is pretty impressive.

Now watching City - Bournemouth... pretty dour game so far but the Cherries are performing way better than I expected. City really seem to be laboring lately and just are not playing great. Always feels like I am watching an FA cup tie when there is a premier league game at Dean Court... 11,000 fans at an EPL game is kind of ridiculous even and it has that passionate feel of watching a big club drawn away to some northern town where the fans go crazy for a big FA cup tie like Hartlepool.

Bournemouth have Sheffield, Burnley and Luton in their next 3 games after this, has to be the best 3 game scheduling stretch for any premier league club all season - they should be safe after that. Pretty impressive keeping a club that small up as long as they have.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:34 PM   #1420
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man City have really become a bit of a slog to watch now. Not quite Mourinho levels of terrorism, but just not as much fun anymore. Those early teams with Aguero, Sane and Sterling up front and David Silva, De Bruyne and Fernandinho behind them produced some of the most enjoyable football the PL has ever seen. Now they are mostly a choke teams out kind of team, which, given that they are going for four in a row and back to back trebles, shows it's working.