Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 04:49 PM   #14081
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Huge pet peeve.

Its getting out of control now.

Two completely different words and meanings.

I may go on a mission to point it out moving forward...bothered me for years and years.
Irregardless, there the same thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #14082
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
As well as teach the difference between THEN and THAN.

Sorry, English is actually my second language. love to see the guys on here who get worked up about spelling start writing in a second language and not have a spelling mistake or use words in the proper context.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pickle Juice For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 05:59 PM   #14083
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Juice View Post
Sorry, English is actually my second language. love to see the guys on here who get worked up about spelling start writing in a second language and not have a spelling mistake or use words in the proper context.

Actually, people use English as second language would be more accurate on spelling and proper usage of words in general. They would make a conscious effort to make sure they are correct because it's their second language. I'm an immigrant myself and English was my second language as well.

After all that, I've seen plenty of English as first language people have spelling mistakes, could not differentiate between then and than, or it's just carelessness.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #14084
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Actually, people use English as second language would be more accurate on spelling and proper usage of words in general. They would make a conscious effort to make sure they are correct because it's their second language. I'm an immigrant myself and English was my second language as well.

After all that, I've seen plenty of English as first language people have spelling mistakes, could not differentiate between then and than, or it's just carelessness.
That last paragraph is a nightmare.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #14085
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Trade Rumors = Good
English Teachers = No Good
Old 05-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #14086
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why?

Brodie will fetch a 1st and second likely oh his own.
Jankow is good for a late first early second
Plus our first this year

2 firsts and 2 seconds for him is hardly laughable to the point of hanging up the phone.

Equivalent to what got a us a young Dougie Hamilton and I would argue defenceman are worth more in trades than pretty much any other position.
I'm not sure Brodie is worth that much.
He certainly has value, probably a late first, but I don't think a first and second. Jankowski is probably worth a project back; someone who used to be a good prospect, but hasn't really lived up to their promise.
I'm my opinion of course.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #14087
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
Trade Rumors = Good
English Teachers = No Good
Then learn the language.

Jokes aside, anyone making the effort to type in a second language deserves all the benefits of the doubt.

Bad grammar is only a problem in posts that are confrontational anyway. If you're making an argument and use there instead of their, only a psycho would say something about it.

If you're calling someone out on the internet, have the good sense to spell check your work, and don't get pissy when the other person calls you out for being a sloppy bitch.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 05-22-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #14088
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sean Couturier For Jankow Brodie and our first.

Johnny Couturier Lindholm

Chucky Money Neal

Bennett Backlund Dube

Mangiapane Ryan Reaves

Frolik flipped for a pick than pick flipped for Reaves

Couturier has more trade value than any single player on the a Flames.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #14089
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I'm most interested in trade ideas that involve Brodie, since I think he's probably getting moved. At least he should.

But I don't think he's worth more than a late first.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #14090
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames arn't in a position to target other teams best players. They are going to have to target either someone who is blocked on a teams roster, or take advantage of a team in some serious trouble with the cap.

No Crosby's, Couturier's, or the like will be had this offseason.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #14091
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Why?

Brodie will fetch a 1st and second likely oh his own.
Jankow is good for a late first early second
Plus our first this year

2 firsts and 2 seconds for him is hardly laughable to the point of hanging up the phone.

Equivalent to what got a us a young Dougie Hamilton and I would argue defenceman are worth more in trades than pretty much any other position.
People's expectations about Brodie's return are WAY out of whack. It's like they believe that 30 other GMs didn't watch the 5 playoff games against the Avs, or the preceding 25 regular season games.

Flames will be happy getting a 3rd round pick for him. A 2nd, and they will drive him to the airport today.

Boomer and Warrener were speaking a couple weeks back (just after elimination) about the perception on Brodie, and how people are going to be disappointed with the return. They speculated at the time that a 3rd or 4th would be the high end of the return.

I would bet $20 to the first comer on this board that there is no 1st round pick in return of a Brodie-for-pick deal. Who's in?
Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #14092
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
People's expectations about Brodie's return are WAY out of whack. It's like they believe that 30 other GMs didn't watch the 5 playoff games against the Avs, or the preceding 25 regular season games.

Flames will be happy getting a 3rd round pick for him. A 2nd, and they will drive him to the airport today.

Boomer and Warrener were speaking a couple weeks back (just after elimination) about the perception on Brodie, and how people are going to be disappointed with the return. They speculated at the time that a 3rd or 4th would be the high end of the return.

I would bet $20 to the first comer on this board that there is no 1st round pick in return of a Brodie-for-pick deal. Who's in?
Hate to say it, but I largely agree with you. I think a late first is actually a pretty big stretch.
But he's way too productive, and plays too many minutes, to only fetch a 4th.

Brodie is good at skating the puck into the zone - for this reason he has been fairly effective in overtime. He's pretty good at stretch passes (which the team doesn't do as much of anymore). He's bad at keeping the puck in zone during powerplays, and his shot is overrated. Other teams always seem to capitalize on his frequent mistakes.

Overall, I don't think the Flames lose much by trading Brodie. But I do think he's a top 4 defenseman, and he should fetch more than a 3rd round pick.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 09:02 PM   #14093
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’ll take that $20 bet all day that Brodie brings back a first.

Kris Russel brought back a second, a prospect and a player. And that second was close to becoming a first. Defensemen are expensive.

Although it’s more likely there are other pieces involved in a trade or Brodie gets traded for a forward

Treliving won’t trade Brodie for a low pick.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:04 PM   #14094
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

I dont think he is dealt for a pick...but in a package for another player.

But in what world is a guy who played top pairing all year on the 2nd best regular season only worth a 3rd round pick?

I would think ideally you want him on your 2nd pairing but holy smokes, he isnt Oscar Fantenberg level of player.

I mean Fox just went for a 2nd AND a 3rd and has never played a game.

Lovejoy went for a player AND a 3rd.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:08 PM   #14095
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

McQuaid and Petrovic got more than people think Brodie can fetch lol

Talk about sky is falling
Old 05-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #14096
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

How about William Karlsson? Lots of rumours out there he might become available?

What’s it going to take to get him?
Old 05-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #14097
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’m not the biggest Brodie fan, but Boomer and Warrener are idiots if they think he would only fetch a 3rd or 4th round pick.

He will easily fetch a 2nd minimum.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #14098
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Couturier has more trade value than any single player on the a Flames.

Well this isn't true...still the offer would need to be more
Old 05-22-2019, 09:15 PM   #14099
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

So the team comes in first in the West.
Gio playing with Brodie doubles his production to become point per game and the Norris favourite.
Meanwhile, Brodie himself gets almost the same number of points Gio got last year, good for 34 (43rd in a 31 team league, without PP1 time. Tied for 22nd in even strength points) and is +29 (good for 9th in the league).
28 years old, in his prime, and a friendly 4.65 M cap hit

And he is going to get only a 3rd or 4th?

Tre should back up his truck full of lower round draft picks, find a few other Brodies out there, and build the best blue line in the league.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #14100
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Well this isn't true...still the offer would need to be more

Yeah it is.

He’s young, signed to a great contract, has back to back 76 point seasons and is elite defensively.

He’s everything we dreamed Monny would be and is the Philly’s best player.

He is their Toews, Bergeron or Kopitar.

Closed Thread