Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #121
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Google Music really is an extension of the 'Nexus' phone. Once you use it you'll understand why they don't offer a microSD slot.
Having music in the cloud is the killer app for mobile listening.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #122
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've come across a couple comments, not only in this thread, about wanting to have "all my music" on my device as a reason 16GB's are not enough. I'm wondering what most peoples entire collections are?

At some point 16/32/64 you're going to have to make a choice, it's really only a debate about when I have to start managing my music. Even at 64gb I'm still managing which music to put on my phone. 16GB just makes it more of an effort but even at 32 or 64 I'm still making choices, no way could I have all my music.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #123
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well my 'collection' is probably up to 90GB or so, so there is no possible way I can get all that on a phone, SD card or not. I do have a 80GB iPod Classic that has most of my songs on it.

But, I only use that for working out these days. Most other days I listen to Pandora.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #124
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

My music collection is pretty massive, but I think 20,000 songs via Google Music is plenty enough for every day listening. I do prefer iTunes Match for a few reasons, but Google Music is still great, especially for the price. You can even use it on an iPhone.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #125
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have about 50GB of music, but I don't sync all of it to my iPhone. I just make playlists with the new music that I find each month, so in theory, the 16GB Nexus 4 should be good enough.

Right now, my 4S (32gb) is full of:
- 6.5GB of audio
- 0.6GB of video
- 9.2GB of photos
- 4.5GB of apps
- 1.05GB of other

Seems like photos take up the most space. Is there a good service to offload these? I tried the automatic upload to Dropbox, but I only have a 5GB account.

I still want to try stock android since I'm so entrenched in Google services (Gmail, Calendar, Docs, etc.)
Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #126
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Google+ has an automatic upload feature with unlimited storage. All my pictures are instantly on my profile which I have set to not share with anyone. Easy to access, easy to use, easy to delete, etc, etc.

I'm not sure if it is unlimited storage, but it is a lot if not unlimited.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #127
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Here are some sample images taken with the Nexus 4
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ab5wp888xshck5q
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?oqrb32zcabuzp3y
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?dqr2jpcvaqd9ww7
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #128
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Yeah I think it is unlimited storage. And the photo interface on Google+ is pretty amazing.

I just went through my pictures again. Everything is just 'there.' Just like my music. It is just 'there'....whenever I want it. And my email, my contacts, my calender, my docs.....

I don't even have Google Now yet, so add that and it becomes even more impressive.

So to be completely honest, I have no idea why someone would not get the new Nexus phone.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #129
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

T-Mobile in America is offering the Nexus 4 for 199 on a 2 year contract or 499 outright.

Yikes.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #130
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
T-Mobile in America is offering the Nexus 4 for 199 on a 2 year contract or 499 outright.

Yikes.
Holy highway robbery batman! $200 profit or near pure profit contract. Hm.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #131
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How did Canadian carriers get glued to 3 year contracts, while it's 2 years in the states? I'd love to have my contract expire every 24 months.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #132
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
How did Canadian carriers get glued to 3 year contracts, while it's 2 years in the states? I'd love to have my contract expire every 24 months.
Because they are limited by government to a maximum 2-year contract length. UK banned 3 year contracts last year, hopefully Canada follows shortly after.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #133
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Having music in the cloud is the killer app for mobile listening.
Yeah, except there are people like me who do most of their music listening while not in places with WiFi. Streaming from Google Music would eat up my data plan, so an SD card makes more sense for now.

That being said, it looks like HTC will be releasing a Nexus phone in the near future with similar specs to the Nexus 4 and an SD slot.

http://androidcommunity.com/htc-nexu...r-lg-20121017/

EDIT: I'm also with the others who've had bad experiences with LG electronics. I have no desire to own anything of theirs again.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #134
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Have you seen the starting price of a Verizon smartphone plan?

Besides if you're with Telus you can cancel at 24 months and you pay device subsidy/3+$50, or with Rogers its subsidy/3+$12.50.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #135
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The new camera is pretty slick I must say. The sphere option is really cool and fun to play with. Takes a bit of playing to get a well stitched photo but not to bad. Worth checking out anyways.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #136
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
The new camera is pretty slick I must say. The sphere option is really cool and fun to play with. Takes a bit of playing to get a well stitched photo but not to bad. Worth checking out anyways.
Sorry, which new camera?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #137
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Sorry, which new camera?
This he means the photo sphere app in the new jellybean build.

Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #138
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes, the new releases' camera it's on XDA or Android Central. Some new cool features in the editor as well.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #139
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Have you seen the starting price of a Verizon smartphone plan?

Besides if you're with Telus you can cancel at 24 months and you pay device subsidy/3+$50, or with Rogers its subsidy/3+$12.50.
Yup, compared some of the prices on AT&T and Verizon last night for for basic talk, text and anywhere from 1GB of data to 4. Easily 90+ per month. People who bitch about States having lower monthly plans are just plain lying.

On topic, flashed the new stock android keyboard. The large words that pop up letting you know what you're swiping is handy and auto correct isn't bad. Still not as good as Swype or Swiftkey but a great starting point for new android users.

Sent from my GT-I9100
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #140
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Engadget has their reviews for both the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 up. I haven't had time to read the full reviews so I'll just take on the Wrap ups here at the end.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/nexus-4-review/
Quote:
The idea that a Nexus quad-core smartphone is hitting the market with a starting price one dollar shy of $300 is simply stunning. Even more so is that it's available without any contract or carrier locks, which means you can use it virtually anywhere in the world. Adding yet another layer of amazement is the fact that this particular device will always be among the first (if not the first) to get the latest version of Android for the foreseeable future. What once was a smartphone series designed for developers has been decked out with top-notch features and priced so attractively that consumers will take notice of it; there's nothing comparable that comes close to it in that price range. This is a smartphone that we'd normally expect to be much more expensive unlocked, but Google set a precedent by lowering the cost of the Galaxy Nexus, keeping the Nexus 7 at $200 and is now continuing the trend with the Nexus 4. The price of freedom has never been more reasonable.

Sure, the Nexus 4 is not without its hiccups, but none of its predecessors have been perfect, either. And given the boost in real-world performance, the better camera and various other new features, it's even more tempting than all those previous devices whose shoes it's trying to fill. In a case like this... you have our permission not to resist
Nexus 10
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/nexus-10-review/
Quote:
The Nexus 7 impressed us on nearly every front. What few flaws there were we more than forgave thanks to its bargain-basement price. At $400 to $500, the Nexus 10 is actually on par with many other 10-inch Android competitors -- even a little more expensive than some -- and, with average performance in most areas and sub-par battery life, it's relying on that incredibly high resolution and fresh Android build to set it apart. Sadly, neither is enough to distance this tablet from the competition.

The resolution is indeed quite nice but in many ways, the Super IPS+ panel on the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 is even nicer, and other than that new keyboard there's nothing much in Android 4.2 to get excited about right now. Of course, the true beauty of the Nexus line is that when 4.3 rolls around this slate will be the first to get it, and that is certainly worth something. But is it worth enough to make up for this tablet's other shortcomings?