Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2019, 11:00 PM   #121
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I work downtown on the electrical system and the amount of needles around the Chumir that are dropped in man holes is staggering. We pick them up on a daily basis. Its horrifying to be working away, look up and notice a needle dangling off of debris/concrete inside a man hole or vault above your head.

This program puts me and my co workers at risk all so an addict can get their fix. They're ####ing given access to sharps containers too but not everyone chooses to use them. I'd hate to see a co worker get poked and diseased in the name of political correctness.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 11:21 PM   #122
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Evan Woolley has proposed a response to the issues around this place. Here's his Facebook note about it.

Spoiler!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 12:33 AM   #123
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like Provision (restaurant in Central Memorial Park) was a casualty. That's a shame - they've really had to bear the worst of it as far as businesses go.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #124
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Looks like Provision (restaurant in Central Memorial Park) was a casualty. That's a shame - they've really had to bear the worst of it as far as businesses go.
And unfortunately as these issues persist, and it gets more negative coverage, more people are likely to avoid the area, more business are likely to shutter and new ones are increasingly less likely to reopen in their place.

Calgary better get a grip on this, real quick, or we risk creating a giant dead zone in what should be one of the nicest parts of the inner city.

Last edited by you&me; 02-01-2019 at 07:30 AM.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:49 AM   #125
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Honestly that's calculus that our society refuses to ever look at anymore. Every life, no matter what is worth infinity tax dollars and any cost spread among the rest of the public to accommodate is zero. That's how we look at everything.
We don't like to acknowledge that trade-offs even exist, let alone take the next step and make tough decisions about those trade-offs.

In world with limited health care and police resources, it might be difficult to justify devoting increasing amounts to dealing with someone's 4th or 12th or 20th overdose. But questioning that makes people feel heartless. Easier to pretend we have infinite resources and everything can be a win-win.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #126
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post

Yeah, they were one of the first ones to speak up back in July about it. They were shouted down by the "but this study shows there is no crime increase and something something nimby" crowd.

Frankly, I doubt much will happen. The NDP have already renewed their location even in the face of the public confirmation of the crime increase that they've been denying for a year. They'll discourage reporting or adjust stats to fudge and say: "See, crime has dropped 50% since yesterday and so much progress has been made & 800 more overdoses by the same 20 people have been prevented again".

People and businesses in the area will get fed up and continue to leave.

I've already stopped going into the area if I can avoid it. It's really disappointing to see it all happening in real time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/fallout-f...rant-1.4018895

The co-owner of Provision, a restaurant situated across the street from the SMCHC in Central Memorial Park, says his business has seen a steady decline in customers following the influx of visitors to the supervised consumption site.

“This is my last week of lunches here,” said Kirk Shaw on Wednesday. “Last summer I would have three waitresses and myself running flat out, doing 70 to 80 covers a lunch. I’m down now to one waitress doing maybe 20. We did nine last Wednesday.”

“I’m in the downtown core and I expect a certain level of this behaviour but the difference between this year and last year is like night and day. It’s been in effect for about eight months and we’re seeing absolutely, catastrophic effects of their public health policy.”

“The harm reduction strategy shouldn’t go away, it just has to be revamped. It really needs a hard, hard shakeup. It might be working for the junkies but it’s not working for anyone else in the neighbourhood.”

Last edited by chemgear; 02-01-2019 at 08:45 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #127
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lack of coordination between the province, the municipalities, community support and police is mind boggling on this issue.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #128
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Well, they just rubber stamped the renewal of the site for another year just today.
To be clear, 'they' means Health Canada. Not the City and not the Provincial Government. And the renewal is conditional on some issues being addressed and will be reviewed in four months.

While I'm generally in favor in principal I do wonder about how this facility operates. If it a supervised safe injection site then how are needles getting outside? Maybe start with changing how this facility operates and not allow needles to leave the building. When I see the word supervised I was assuming there were actually staff watching what was happening.

The crime part I see as a different issue than the littering and needs a different solution but I cannot see why the needle issue cannot be resolved fairly simply.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...site-1.5001457
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:25 AM   #129
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
While I'm generally in favor in principal I do wonder about how this facility operates. If it a supervised safe injection site then how are needles getting outside? Maybe start with changing how this facility operates and not allow needles to leave the building. When I see the word supervised I was assuming there were actually staff watching what was happening.
The site provides a safe place for consumption, and staff to help when/if they OD and all that good stuff...but they also give out needles that folks can take away and use. You don't HAVE to use the site. You can show up, ask for needles, walk a block away and shoot up. While it is a safe consumption site, those who go to it are not required to stay there and shoot up.

If the needles aren't allowed to leave the building (which I think is a good idea), then less people will use the site, and we're back to questioning it's worth in general.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #130
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And the renewal is conditional on some issues being addressed and will be reviewed in four months.
Given it was allowed to operate for more than a year without addressing the obvious escalating crime and continued neighborhood concerns I don't have much in the way of confidence in their review.

If the police hadn't finally released a report on the state of affairs and it being pushed in the news, the various levels of governance would still be doing nothing but patting their own backs on opening the injection site.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #131
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it a supervised safe injection site then how are needles getting outside?
I believe a part of the site is a handing out Needle Distribution program. Which makes the idea of a "bounty"/deposit of needles for money a literal Cobra Effect.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #132
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bunch of posts back, showed the needles and crime up in Edmonton. But I hadn't seen this article originally.

Interesting how they rammed this through without consultation and are now claiming that they did not need to consult, and that there is no crime. But even if there is an increase in crime, you can't close them because it'll hurt the people injecting.

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/201...-edmonton.html

Businesses and residents in Chinatown want two of the three supervised drug consumption sites in their area closed, claiming they weren’t properly consulted prior to the decision to open the sites.

Their argument, as well as that of the Access to Medically Supervised Injection Services Edmonton (AMSISE), is that consultation with third parties, like the Chinatown business association, was not outlined as a requirement when the legislation for applications of consumption sites was drafted by the federal government.

Edward Molstad, the lawyer representing the business association, counter-argued that legislation does require AMSISE to submit “expressions of community support or opposition” when submitting their applications. But he said the Chinatown community was not consulted properly, mainly due to what they claim is a language barrier, where many members of the community only speak Chinese.

“You can’t have community support or opposition without talking to the community,” Molstad told the court.

He also countered the claim of an increase in crime, saying it is purely based on speculation and that no concrete data exists to prove it as an issue.

Elford told the court that if speculation on crime rates is the basis of the business association’s concerns regarding the consumption sites, then the process of approving such sites would be greatly derailed. “It’ll never get done,” Elford said.

“Now is not the time to re-argue,” Nathan Whitling, the lawyer representing AMSISE, told the court.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:43 PM   #133
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...y-hall-meeting

Desperate and angry residents who live near the city’s only safe drug-consumption site queued at city hall Wednesday to vent their concerns about rising violence and crime around the Safeworks facility at the Sheldon Chumir Centre.

“We’re basically at war right now,” said Murray Shuturma, president of the Park 300 condo. Shuturma said his building, which looks over Memorial Park across the street from the Chumir centre, is broken into on a daily basis. “Nobody is protecting us.

“We’ve had somebody chased with a shotgun in the building,” Shuturma said. “We have people shooting up (in) the vestibule of our building. People are afraid to come in and people are afraid to go out.”

Story after story at the emotionally charged meeting saw neighbours and business owners — some of them initially supportive of the supervised consumption site — describe increasing frustration with a perceived lack of concern from authorities.

Residents told stories about finding overdose victims in the street, aggressive encounters outside their homes and repeated thefts from vehicles and storage sheds. Several neighbours said their messages and phone calls to AHS have gone unanswered.

One incident required the replacement of a large double-pane window for $1,400: “They walked across the street, broke a window with a club that they took out of their jacket (and) grabbed a book and walked away,” Lawrence said, adding the store has since spent $7,000 on security cameras.

“This is no way to live your life,” said Coun. Evan Woolley, following an unsettling story about residents coming upon a woman in the throes of a psychotic episode in a blood-stained condo stairwell. “This is nerve-racking stuff.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ting-1.5018559

Calgarian Sherry Crawford told council she fears for her daughter and granddaughter's safety living in the area.

"Why should an addict's desire to take illegal drugs, often associated with criminal behaviour, take precedence over my daughter's desire for a safe neighbourhood in which to live and work and raise her children?" Crawford asked council.

Between the time the site opened in October 2017 and the end of 2018, it had responded to 802 overdoses involving 228 visitors, and saw more than 54,000 client visits.

Last edited by chemgear; 02-13-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:09 PM   #134
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Let's not forget the City Council meeting today where Sean Chu called addiction a "choice" and asked the public to show their hands for who wants a "shooting gallery". This in the face of Evan Woolley who lost his brother to addiction.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:00 AM   #135
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Let's not forget the City Council meeting today where Sean Chu called addiction a "choice" and asked the public to show their hands for who wants a "shooting gallery". This in the face of Evan Woolley who lost his brother to addiction.
I hate to generalize but sometimes the way different people look at this situation and epidemic is through their own cultural lens's. Right or wrong people of ethnic backgrounds or people who's parents are immigrants generally have a lower tolerance for this type of behavior. They take a more personal responsibility and a stance that this is the user's issue to deal with and figure out as opposed to the innocent victims who may be paying a higher price in terms of crime and social decay.

Regardless of the situation, the city, the province and the country need to deal with this entire drug epidemic better overall. People can suffer from addiction's issues and I really do sympathize with people's who's lives have been destroyed by drugs, I see it all the time as we have a family business in the Beltline but we also need to take into consideration the real destruction that is happening to the people and the business's there as well.

I read about the Councilor's brother and that sounds like a heart breaking situation, far too many lives are getting ruined and it's a shame.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #136
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh come on, Sean Chu was a cop. He should know better. No excuses for that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #137
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgarysun.com/opinion/colum...on-horror-show

A woman walks her daughter to the school bus in Calgary’s Beltline and they play a game.

Count the Syringes.

Images, nasty images.

Drugged-up lowlifes breaking into vehicles in the middle of the day. Buildings fortifying themselves with greater security.

There’s the nasty piece of work wielding a 10-inch blade, some guy with a shotgun chasing a citizen.

“These are people coming from across the street. We can see them migrating,” says Shuturma, speaking of the madness.

David Low is from Vic Park businesses.

Something was going very wrong last year but concerns were dismissed.

Open drug use grew, a restaurant at the park across from the Chumir closed.

Food trucks no longer compete for spots. Fewer kids play in a park where swastikas appear.

Property damage, break-ins, needles, folks threatened and intimidated. Working alone is no longer safe.

Multiple incidents of using human feces as a weapon.

Businesses and residents scared to speak out for fear of being labelled insensitive.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:30 AM   #138
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Drugged up low-lifes." Stay classy, Rick.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 04:55 AM   #139
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
"Drugged up low-lifes." Stay classy, Rick.
What would you call someone who is doing drugs and breaking into cars?

The first part of the sentence is 100% correct, they are drugged up.
And if the article was about random break ins and said “low lifes break into cars in broad daylight” I doubt you would have an issue

These are drugged up low lifes committing crimes . Have we swung so far in the opposite direction of acceptance we can’t even calls a spade a spade anymore
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #140
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Oh come on, Sean Chu was a cop. He should know better. No excuses for that.
I ask the following in the hopes of understanding the situation a little better. Don't most of these addicts start out by taking drugs by choice? Or are we talking about people who already had serious mental issues, and began to self medicate?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: