Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #13881
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1551391

The Score speculates where the top 10 trade targets go.

Flames related. Hoffman for 2020 2nd, Bennett, Andersson

Personally I would hate that deal
Way too much. I’d be more inclined to roll the dice on a deal where we assume some risk to minimize what we give up.

Brodie and Brouwer for Hoffman and Ryan. Flames kick in a conditional pick based on Ryan’s performance.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #13882
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair, almost all of the trades mentioned in that article are pretty nonsensical in terms of value.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #13883
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Almost every trade in that article was too rich in my opinion.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #13884
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Way too much. I’d be more inclined to roll the dice on a deal where we assume some risk to minimize what we give up.

Brodie and Brouwer for Hoffman and Ryan. Flames kick in a conditional pick based on Ryan’s performance.
I've been saying for awhile now that I'd be looking into a Melnyk money saving deal where we send them Brouwer and they send us Bobby Ryan with $2 million retained. Saves Melnyk $13 million. It usually gets crapped on pretty hard though. A healthy Bobby Ryan is still a 50 point player IMO, and a healthy Bobby Ryan playing sidekick to Johnny/Mony probably does better than 50 points. That'd be a steal on a $5.25 million cap hit.

I also like the idea of adding Brodie to get Hoffman as well.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #13885
Bongsong
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Brodie + Brouwer 2250000 retained

For

Hoffman + Ryan 2250000 retained

Saves Ottawa 17.5 mill I think
Old 06-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #13886
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongsong View Post
Brodie + Brouwer 2250000 retained

For

Hoffman + Ryan 2250000 retained

Saves Ottawa 17.5 mill I think
Very interesting deal. I don’t see a world where the Flames can carry Ryan’s full cap hit which still has 5 years at $7.25M. At $5M that is workable (dumping Brouwer makes the 2 years at full cap worth it and the Sens could probably flip
Brouwer who would be at 50% retention)
Old 06-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #13887
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Hope the Flames don't take on Bobby Ryan just to get rid of Brouwer. Let Vegas take Ryan when they get Karlsson.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #13888
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they get Ryan, they should go for Stone too.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #13889
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone else think they don't do anything until Tavares situation is done with?

Personally not keen on the idea of sitting back until one domino is done but cap space is key when you're trolling for big fishes.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #13890
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Does anyone else think they don't do anything until Tavares situation is done with?

Personally not keen on the idea of sitting back until one domino is done but cap space is key when you're trolling for big fishes.

I could still see Treliving adding a top 6 winger while dealing Brodie in the process, a move like that will pretty much equal the cap out. But I don't see them adding any significant salary until they see where Tavares ends up.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #13891
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t believe the Flames make a trade until Tavares declines or signs with them.

In regards to free agents I’m not sure. You risk missing out, but trades can wait (since they don’t have a first).
Old 06-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #13892
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
More bottom six scoring surely couldn't hurt. I'd go so far as to say that getting good production out of the third line could have a bigger impact than adding a RW on the top line.

I suppose one could do both by moving Ferland down if you added a Kessel, but unless the top RW scores more than 25, I think the difference is negligible on the top line.
I would move Ferland down to the 3rd line - Ferland-Janko-Bennett could be a very useful line. Decent speed, physical, lots of size, good skill.

The other factors here is Gaudreau. The Flames should assume he's going back to Philly if they don't do some major damage in the next four years. Right now, Gio is still a top defenseman worth every penny of that $6.75M, and Johnny is about to turn 25. Those stars aren't going to be aligned forever. Gaudreau and Monahan can look unstoppable with Jiri Hudler. Give them a talent like Kessel and they can win you a lot of games.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #13893
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Theoretically they could trade Hamilton for Nylander or Marner and open up more cap space for the time being. With Marner it would be a year of relief while Nylander would be their RFA and they could hammer out a deal after the Tavares stuff is settled.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #13894
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
More bottom six scoring surely couldn't hurt. I'd go so far as to say that getting good production out of the third line could have a bigger impact than adding a RW on the top line.

I suppose one could do both by moving Ferland down if you added a Kessel, but unless the top RW scores more than 25, I think the difference is negligible on the top line.
I'm actually working on a story that looks at the Flames from last season and how their forwards slot league wide.

Helps paint what they need to do to fix it up for next season both in terms of adding a player or improvement from within.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #13895
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I've been saying for awhile now that I'd be looking into a Melnyk money saving deal where we send them Brouwer and they send us Bobby Ryan with $2 million retained. Saves Melnyk $13 million. It usually gets crapped on pretty hard though. A healthy Bobby Ryan is still a 50 point player IMO, and a healthy Bobby Ryan playing sidekick to Johnny/Mony probably does better than 50 points. That'd be a steal on a $5.25 million cap hit.

I also like the idea of adding Brodie to get Hoffman as well.
Ryan is the antithesis of a speedy forward though and certainly not what BT has said he is looking to add.

Hope they stay far far away.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #13896
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah because thats what we're saying. Derek Ryan is THE solution.

Did you know Ryan's 38 points last year would have made him the 6th highest scoring forward on the Flames roster? 13 points ahead of 7th place too. His 15 goals would have been 7th highest goal scoring forward on the Flames last year.

The Flames bottom six was an absolute disaster last season. I'm all for acquiring top 6 players as well, that push guys down the line up. But it doesn't hurt to make improvements anywhere you can.
You can add to the bottom six literally whenever you want - everyone's got some veteran fourth liner you can have for a 5th Rd pick in November. Or you can make a shrewd waiver acquisition at the end of camp because you didn't give Derek Ryan money on Canada Day. Maybe you find another Paul Byron type.

Let's not pull a Boyd Gordon.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #13897
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You can add to the bottom six literally whenever you want - everyone's got some veteran fourth liner you can have for a 5th Rd pick in November. Or you can make a shrewd waiver acquisition at the end of camp because you didn't give Derek Ryan money on Canada Day. Maybe you find another Paul Byron type.

Let's not pull a Boyd Gordon.
Yeah 15 goal 38 point centers are easy to acquire whenever you want. Thats why we didnt snag any mid season last year with our bottom six players sucking and/or injured right?
Old 06-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #13898
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah 15 goal 38 point centers are easy to acquire whenever you want. Thats why we didnt snag any mid season last year with our bottom six players sucking and/or injured right?
Treliving didn’t want to move assets to try and push a floundering team into the playoffs.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #13899
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think at this point, if you're going to pick anyone up you have to let someone go. If it was as easy as just telling someone not to come back, things would be different but we're stuck with Brouwer and to a lesser extent, Frolik and Lazar in the bottom 6. I'm actually ok with Lazar as a 4th line guy and Frolik is a good utility player but those 3 players are almost $10 mil in cap space. The team has to add from within at some point but first they have to see what they have, it would suck to sign Ryan and then have no room for Dube and/or Gawdin to step up and earn a spot but not have one. It's a tough decision to give out a contract to a depth C at this point. Monahan, Backlund and Janko seem to be the guys they have now but if a miracle happens and they get Tavares, do they still go after Ryan? If JT takes his time and wants a few days, do they wait and maybe end up with neither?

Ryan would be a good 3rd line guy but I think Backlund is already an amazing 3rd line guy, the problem is he's playing on the second line. I think the team needs to pick up a top 2 center and make Backlund the third guy. As good as it would be to have better bottom 6 guys, the top 6 needs to be addressed sooner. The Flames have guys playing too far up the roster IMO and need to pick up skilled guys who can push those guys back down to a spot that better fits them. Backlund, Frolik and even Ferland* would all do better in lesser roles. *Ferland has chemistry with the top line so if they can't find anyone who can develop any chemistry with them, he could be a backup plan). The team really only has 3 legitimate top 6 guys in Monahan, Gaudreau and Tkachuck. Ferland is what he is so he's like a tweener but I think he'd do better on a lower line. Backlund and Frolik make up 2/3 of a really good third line. Bennett and Janko are huge question marks at this point and if they don't step up soon will put the team in a bad spot. This team needs to find a way to get more high end talent.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #13900
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Someone who scored 38 points for the Hurricanes at age 31 while playing with Jeff Skinner is not who we should be targeting in free agency. Certainly not early free agency. Treliving's worst moves have been overpaying for fringe players ie Raymond and Brouwer.

You should be a able to fill your bottom 6 internally. The fourth line shouldn't combine to make more than $5M. Giving plugs money they don't deserve is not a recipe for success.

Byron has nearly 50 goals as a Hab and makes just over a million. If Derek Ryan is coming at that price on day three, whatever. If we give him the 3x3 special, I'll be very irritated. May as well re-sign Stajan if you're gonna do that.
Closed Thread