Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #13721
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Ha ha ha this thread has gone full Oiler fan with the homerism. I’m out.

Translation: Ha Ha Ha people disagree with me and I can’t accept it. I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #13722
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Ricardow is doing what he always does: being obtuse to take indirect, trolling shots at the Flames and their fans.
Yeah, reading some of his posts almost makes me wish Moon was still our resident troll.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ignite09 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #13723
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Ricardow is doing what he always does: being obtuse to take indirect, trolling shots at the Flames and their fans.
I'm not sure he's purposely obtuse or trolling. I just think he's a weirdo.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #13724
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Darren Dreger

@DarrenDreger
Ilya Kovalchuk in California this weekend. Visited with the LA Kings yesterday and will meet with the Sharks tomorrow.

4:11 PM - Jun 9, 2018
481 people are talking about this
Really Kovy?

Get bent.

When are those California teams going to fall into the Pacific ocean?
Old 06-09-2018, 09:27 PM   #13725
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
"elite goal scorer"

was the argument...he obviously is

138 goals in his first 5 NHL seasons, far less than 50 active players can match that...maybe a handful
He’s 18th overall in goals since his draft year. That’s gotta be close to elite...

Last edited by IamNotKenKing; 06-09-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:16 PM   #13726
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Really Kovy?

Get bent.

When are those California teams going to fall into the Pacific ocean?
You thought he was going to Western Canada?
Old 06-09-2018, 10:21 PM   #13727
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Translation: Ha Ha Ha people disagree with me and I can’t accept it. I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why the point is being rehashed. No need to pile on. Disagreements happen but the pilling on gets pretty disrespectful at times.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #13728
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
You thought he was going to Western Canada?
No I thought he was going to the eastern US. Would be nice if he'd stay off our ####ing division rivals.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:03 PM   #13729
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It seems pretty clear to me from multiple interviews that Treliving was very reluctant to fire GG, that he thought a big part of the problem was with how the players responded to adversity. His comment that this team is too young to lead itself wasn't so much a denunciation of GG as a criticism of a core group that he expected more out of.

I expect him to move a core piece and send a message to the team that he isn't farting around anymore - they better get onboard with that the next coach is selling.
Yeah but maybe that’s part of the problem. Do you honestly think last season is on the players? I guess if that’s Treliving’s position I strongly disagree. And I’m usually first to blame the player and not the coach as after all- they played the games. But how does one look at the numbers put up by these players and say hey Johnny we need 10 more pts or Monahan we need 10 more goals?

Why can’t we just call a spade a spade? Last season the majority of fans were calling out coaching from like November and you know what? They were right.

It’s true, systems and coaching matters in the NHL. A lot, actually.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 11:10 PM   #13730
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least if Kovy goes to a California team I hope it's an absurd overpayment with huge term.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:39 AM   #13731
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Yeah but maybe that’s part of the problem. Do you honestly think last season is on the players? I guess if that’s Treliving’s position I strongly disagree. And I’m usually first to blame the player and not the coach as after all- they played the games. But how does one look at the numbers put up by these players and say hey Johnny we need 10 more pts or Monahan we need 10 more goals?

Why can’t we just call a spade a spade? Last season the majority of fans were calling out coaching from like November and you know what? They were right.

It’s true, systems and coaching matters in the NHL. A lot, actually.

At least as much as the coaching...without question.

There were multiple long stretches when this club simply didn't care enough to do what was asked of them to even have a chance to be successful. That's on them, regardless of how they are being coached, and the most disconcerting thing about it all was that these are mostly younger guys who shouldn't have some sort of entitlement issue at this point.

It's why BT said what he said at years end and why I expect there will be a blockbuster/massive move or more this summer. There is an entire culture change needed and it begins and ends with those who take the ice each day.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #13732
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It seems pretty clear to me from multiple interviews that Treliving was very reluctant to fire GG, that he thought a big part of the problem was with how the players responded to adversity. His comment that this team is too young to lead itself wasn't so much a denunciation of GG as a criticism of a core group that he expected more out of.

I expect him to move a core piece and send a message to the team that he isn't farting around anymore - they better get onboard with that the next coach is selling.
That's just lip service and maybe Treliving's way of letting the players know that they have to accept some responsibility as well. Burke said himself Gulutzan had to be fired and I'm sure plenty in the organization saw it that way. The only reluctancy Treliving had was to fire him at the right time. Even if Peters isn't available there's no way Gulutzan was coming back. Everyone in the city including probably the owners could see he was not working out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #13733
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A repeat of ROR/Dreger speculation, but also on what it would take to land Kessel and a ridiculous idea for a Patches sign and trade. All the old chatter is made new again due the end of the playoffs, but the prices don't seem all that exorbitant.

On ROR from Bob Macenzie
Quote:
the Hurricanes had interest in the Buffalo center, suggesting the Sabres could be looking at Hurricanes left wing Jeff Skinner
And on Kessel from Jonathan Bombulie
Quote:
asking price could be a two-way, top-nine left wing, a middle-pair defenseman and maybe a prospect.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/n...71q6f1ahumfnce
Old 06-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #13734
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
At least as much as the coaching...without question.

There were multiple long stretches when this club simply didn't care enough to do what was asked of them to even have a chance to be successful. That's on them, regardless of how they are being coached, and the most disconcerting thing about it all was that these are mostly younger guys who shouldn't have some sort of entitlement issue at this point.

It's why BT said what he said at years end and why I expect there will be a blockbuster/massive move or more this summer. There is an entire culture change needed and it begins and ends with those who take the ice each day.
Agreed. Particularly when this team couldn't beat the worst in the league during that stretch in January (or maybe it was February). From the cheap seats, the only 4 top notch players on the Flames who showed me they care were Monahan, Tkachuk, Smith and Giordano. Anyone not on that list can be shipped out in some sort of blockbuster shake up as far as i am concerned.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #13735
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rory Boylen (sportsnet) and his Buyout candidates list....

Does anyone have any insight on Brandon Dubinsky? If it turns out that he is simply the whipping boy of Torts, that might be an interesting bad contract for bad contract possibility. If the Jackets would match the contract totals and hold back 1.35M per. Dubinsky has a NTC, but might be willing to waive to get out and not be bought out.

Bonus add on question... does a player waiving the NMC for a new team void the NMC stipulation for expansion teams going forward?
Edit : I answered my own question. His contract turns into a Modified NTC this year. Its all good.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 06-10-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #13736
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Rory Boylen (sportsnet) and his Buyout candidates list....

Does anyone have any insight on Brandon Dubinsky? If it turns out that he is simply the whipping boy of Torts, that might be an interesting bad contract for bad contract possibility. If the Jackets would match the contract totals and hold back 1.35M per. Dubinsky has a NTC, but might be willing to waive to get out and not be bought out.

Bonus add on question... does a player waiving the NTC for a new team void the NTC stipulation for expansion teams going forward?
NTC's weren't upheld for expansion exposure, just NMC's were.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #13737
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

That kessel price seems tailor made for the flames.

Brodie+Bennett or brodie+frolik+kylington
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #13738
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Agreed. Particularly when this team couldn't beat the worst in the league during that stretch in January (or maybe it was February). From the cheap seats, the only 4 top notch players on the Flames who showed me they care were Monahan, Tkachuk, Smith and Giordano. Anyone not on that list can be shipped out in some sort of blockbuster shake up as far as i am concerned.
You left Gaudreau off your list? The one player who consistently generated 5v5 offense all season? Our leading scorer?

You’re saying he didn’t care?

What absolute rubbish.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #13739
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
But how does one look at the numbers put up by these players and say hey Johnny we need 10 more pts or Monahan we need 10 more goals?
It's about more than numbers. In big, important games, the team didn't show up. Whenever faced with adversity, the team folded. There was no pushback, not rising to the occasion in last year's Flames. The rumours of management being very unhappy with the culture of the team has come from too many sources to be media fabrication.

When fans here talk optimistically about a team like the Avalanche turning things around in a hurry, and maybe the Flames can follow suit, we should acknowledge that the biggest change in the Avalanche was team culture. Addition by subtraction. It wouldn't surprise me to see something similar happen with the Flames this off-season.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #13740
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's about more than numbers. In big, important games, the team didn't show up. Whenever faced with adversity, the team folded. There was no pushback, not rising to the occasion in last year's Flames. The rumours of management being very unhappy with the culture of the team has come from too many sources to be media fabrication.

When fans here talk optimistically about a team like the Avalanche turning things around in a hurry, and maybe the Flames can follow suit, we should acknowledge that the biggest change in the Avalanche was team culture. Addition by subtraction. It wouldn't surprise me to see something similar happen with the Flames this off-season.
There is just so much wrong with this foregone conclusion you've arrived at and the subsequent drum-beating you've been doing about it for months.

It's worth remembering that for the most part this is a very young team. Outside of Gio and Smith (both who I wouldn't accuse that of for a second) the core players are all young and still learning how to deal with the ups and downs of the NHL.

In addition to that, I think it would be extremely disingenuous to suggest the removal of Deuchene was the sole reason for the Avs turning it around. That was all on MacKinnon, who had a breakout season. He literally carried the Avs on his back to that finish.

What held the Flames back last year was zero depth and scoring from our bottom six and relying just about completely on our top line for offense. The notion it was all on some lackadaisical lack of caring is a product of your negative outlook embracing an Eric Fancis click-bate headline. Remember when he determined Monahan was a key member of that movement? Must have been a bad case of indifference that fractured his wrist and gave her several hernias.
Closed Thread