Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #1281
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
What exclusives are there to tempt people to Xbox One? Forza 5 and Killer Instinct I can definitely see, but Dead Rising 3 looks like an unfinished mess and by all accounts Ryse is nothing more than a glorified tech demo.
I'm starting to warm up again to KI. That dojo feature in Killer Instinct looks damn good. Like a monster feature for me. I think it should be added to every fighter from now on - would be great for veterans and newbies alike. I just wish it would have started development sooner and had more than just 6 fighters - give it a year or two I guess.

It's in that Giantbomb quick look I posted a bit back.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #1282
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Funny you mention this after so many Sony fanboys declared Sony the winner at E3 and the war essentially over. So you can only declare a loser when it suits your favorite console? It's here just go back to the beginning of the thread.

Now you are seeing things the way I originally said months ago in that it's a marathon not a sprint.
Because it was essentially over at E3. Only after Microsoft changed their mind on some of their ridiculous anti-consumer policies did this become an interesting competition.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #1283
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
In any of the reviews does it mention what happens when you plug your Xbox 360 in the HDMI in?

Edit: Well here's a whole article about that...http://kotaku.com/you-can-play-an-xb...-an-1467884928
Admittedly this is kinda cool. I have limited HDMI inputs on my tv, so being able to run my old system through my new system would be pretty cool.

In the same vein of things-that-are-useless-but-cool, I've been watching some friends live stream their gameplay. It works so much better than I anticipated. I don't exactly see the purpose, but it's pretty surprising that it just works so well right out of the gate.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #1284
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Forza is sitting at 82 on Metacritic with the lots of gripes about the content lacking in comparison to previous versions. I kind of think that Forza is getting good reviews for being a prettier Forza 4, but am concerned that there is less content and the career mode is not as deep.

Regardless XBox One easily has the better Day One Launch exclusives.

Forza: 82
Dead Rising: 78
Ryse: TBD

vs.

Resogun: 83
Killzone: 73
Knack: 56
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #1285
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

BestBuy.ca has a Xbone game sale. Buy two and use "gamerspromo1119" for $20 off.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #1286
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What exclusives are there to tempt people to Xbox One? Forza 5 and Killer Instinct I can definitely see, but Dead Rising 3 looks like an unfinished mess and by all accounts Ryse is nothing more than a glorified tech demo. In the future you have a new Halo (a franchise past it's time now that Bungie isn't making it), Titanfall (which will have the better version on PC), and a bunch of games that we don't know much about yet

For the PS4 exclusives you get a generic-but-pretty FPS in Killzone at launch, so it's definitely lacking there. But in the future is a new Gran Turismo, Tekken, and Infamous, 3 big name franchises. Past that all of the most highly anticipated games are muti-platform (Watch Dogs, The Division, MGS V), which the PS4 wins because of better hardware

So unless you absolutely need a great racing or fighting game right now or are a diehard Halo fan, there doesn't seem to be much to get excited about with the Xbox One. I'm going to wait and see how their living room component comes along before deciding if I'll get one, as that's the only thing that really interests me about the console
That's not true. As developers optimize the games for the consoles, the difference will be negligible at best. Games looked better on XB360 than they did on PS3 and PS3 had what 9 cores and was a hardware behemoth...then u guys bring up the point about x86 architecture being the same but thats going to be moot point.

the real question is this...xb1 and ps4 can both play games very well..

what else can they do?

once you get your head out of the sand and consider that...then the future is pretty clear that the xb1/microsoft has chosen a better path.

anyway games like killzone and gran turismo arent even worthy of wearing halo and forza's jockstrap....let alone buying a whole console because of them.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #1287
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be honest, when I get an Xbox One (and I'm pretty confident I'll get one eventually), I'll probably be turning most of the voice activation and motion control stuff off. Maybe it's me, but I feel kind of dumb talking to a machine.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #1288
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
That's not true. As developers optimize the games for the consoles, the difference will be negligible at best. Games looked better on XB360 than they did on PS3 and PS3 had what 9 cores and was a hardware behemoth...then u guys bring up the point about x86 architecture being the same but thats going to be moot point.
Difference was last generation the PS3 was arguably the better hardware but was more difficult to optimize and develop for so the XBox had the advantage until people figured it out.

This generation it appears that the PS4 is the stronger hardware and is easier to develop for.

It will be interesting to see how this goes but the story isn't the same as last generation.

In terms of games Sony has had the best exclusives for the last 3 generations (outside of the regular Nintendo games) and I really don't see that changing due to their broad first party network.

XBox will have to hope that their positioning as a "Media Entertainment Center" opposed to a traditional gaming system pays off in attracting the casual market because that really is there key advantage this generation.

I will have both systems on Friday and will post my general impressions.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #1289
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first Xbox One game has been dumped

http://www.360crunch.net/forum/threa...as-been-dumped
Old 11-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #1290
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Difference was last generation the PS3 was arguably the better hardware but was more difficult to optimize and develop for so the XBox had the advantage until people figured it out.

This generation it appears that the PS4 is the stronger hardware and is easier to develop for.

It will be interesting to see how this goes but the story isn't the same as last generation.

In terms of games Sony has had the best exclusives for the last 3 generations (outside of the regular Nintendo games) and I really don't see that changing due to their broad first party network.

XBox will have to hope that their positioning as a "Media Entertainment Center" opposed to a traditional gaming system pays off in attracting the casual market because that really is there key advantage this generation.

I will have both systems on Friday and will post my general impressions.
I love how people keep spewing this as if it's a fact. If that were the case people wouldn't be buying MS systems for Halo, GoW, Forza etc. How do you judge best exclusives? Is it by sales figures? The best selling PS3 exclusive was GT5 which moved 10.59 units. Halo 3 moved 11.8. After that you have Uncharted 2 (6.24 million units). Halo Reach, Halo 4 and Gears of War 2 all sold more units than that. A lot of Sony's best PS2 exclusive brands became multiplatform last gen.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #1291
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
You're stuck in thinking that this generation is as different as the last in terms of hardware, but it's not. Xbox One and PS4 use the exact same architecture, but the PS4 has better components. Take a look at this article:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/15...-specs-compare

Both consoles have the exact same CPU, with slightly different clock speeds. They both use AMD GPU's, but PS4 has the more powerful version (by a 50% margin). The biggest difference though is the memory. Both consoles have 8GB, but the PS4 uses DDR5 which is over twice as fast as the Xbox One's DDR3

So basically both consoles are the same in terms of development difficulty, but the PS4 has more resources for games to tap into. So when you say that developers will optimize the Xbox One hardware (which they will), those optimizations will carry over directly to the PS4 as well. It will always have an advantage over the Xbox One regardless of what developers do with it

You're already seeing the evidence of this with cross platform launch titles that look better and run smoother on the PS4. You might see the graphics gap close, but the PS4 will always have the better Anti-Aliasing and framerate, which makes a big difference
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #1292
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I love how people keep spewing this as if it's a fact. If that were the case people wouldn't be buying MS systems for Halo, GoW, Forza etc
He's saying it because you just summed up Xbox's great exclusive games. Halo, Gears of War, Forza. There is no 'etc.' If you aren't into those games (or are sick of them because they've milked them) then the Xbox doesn't really have a lot to offer. Sony offers a broader range, more variety, and all at a very high quality.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #1293
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So basically both consoles are the same in terms of development difficulty, but the PS4 has more resources for games to tap into. So when you say that developers will optimize the Xbox One hardware (which they will), those optimizations will carry over directly to the PS4 as well. It will always have an advantage over the Xbox One regardless of what developers do with it
Not necessarily as the Xbox One has 32MB of embedded eSRAM which developers could leverage to increase memory bandwidth for certain tasks.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #1294
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbone shipped with tracking number via Bestbuy. FS still no info.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #1295
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Absolutely like I said before just look at the start of this thread. Although I expect the PS4 to outsell the XB1 this holiday season. Long term I expect things to change as I feel the XB1 offers more to casual gamers and will pick up a lot of that demographic that purchased Wii's.
I'm seriously thinking of buying the Xbox as the tv streaming thing has my interest piqued
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #1296
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Not necessarily as the Xbox One has 32MB of embedded eSRAM which developers could leverage to increase memory bandwidth for certain tasks.
There is actually a "layman's" thread about the eSRAM on Neogaf that is an interest read. The eSRAM is actually a big part of the problem:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707475
Old 11-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #1297
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You're stuck in thinking that this generation is as different as the last in terms of hardware, but it's not. Xbox One and PS4 use the exact same architecture, but the PS4 has better components. Take a look at this article:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/15...-specs-compare

Both consoles have the exact same CPU, with slightly different clock speeds. They both use AMD GPU's, but PS4 has the more powerful version (by a 50% margin). The biggest difference though is the memory. Both consoles have 8GB, but the PS4 uses DDR5 which is over twice as fast as the Xbox One's DDR3

You're already seeing the evidence of this with cross platform launch titles that look better and run smoother on the PS4. You might see the graphics gap close, but the PS4 will always have the better Anti-Aliasing and framerate, which makes a big difference
I'm not a tech expert at all but I've read enough articles from people who are and they do not make claims such as those that you are making.

In fact...I read an article where XB1 engineers figured out a way to run the memory or whatever faster than it is on the PS4....the number was like 792 vs 786 or something.

So i wouldnt read a whole lot into this media-posted specs as the XB1 has changed a lot since they originally announced in the way that it performs ... when it all comes down to it...it is the processor that is the most important component...

Microsoft engineers arent idiots...Microsoft has arguably the best engineers of any company in the world...they know the technologies better than all of us and all of the people that review the Xbox One product...Obviously they dont seem to think that their console is at a severe disadvantage to the PS4 over the next few years as you dont seem to see them running to change the parts...Microsoft could have easily put the same components as the PS4...its not that hard to put in a bunch of Hardware.....

Android phones have the best and the highest hardware specs...more than Apple..

Yet...Apple iPhones run at a higher efficiency rate than their competitor phones on the market....

If the OS of the PS4 and the XB1 were the same and how the 2 consoles allocate their resources the same then you could say that the PS4 will definitely be better. BUT...Ive also read an article where it says the Kinect uses a ton of resources on the launch system but once Microsoft gets it to use less...it will be perfectly fine...

only ppl who care about this kind of crap are gaming nerds. I feel kinda stupid arguing with people who have their head stuck in the sand.

It feels like Microsoft vs iPhone all over again.

Microsoft has learnt from their mistakes and Sony has now made a big one in the way they are marketing their machine and targeting their market.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #1298
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Xbone shipped with tracking number via Bestbuy. FS still no info.
Nothing from Futureshop for me either. I'm expecting the numbers to come in this evening.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #1299
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's cute that you guys argue about which suboptimal gaming platform is slightly less suboptimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #1300
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

End point is this...

PS4 is a glorified PS3 with updated hardware specs and multiple useless candy features...and trying to fix a controller that was pretty bad to begin with.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT?

oh you pay for PSN now....

Xbox Live has always and will always be better than PSN... Xbox Live will now start using Microsoft Server Farms and cloud computing and have dedicated server for their online games...

What has PSN done? yeah still stuck back in the PS3 world.

Have fun with that.

Last edited by robaur; 11-20-2013 at 02:40 PM.