Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #1281
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I'm hoping for a buy out. Neal or Koskinen would be nice. Koskinen buyout goes to 23/24 season and only saves them 2 mil this season. Neal buyout is on this books until Leon contract is up. I also expect they buyout to blow it on someone else. They won't be getting a good ufa so that means trade. They don't have very many good prospects or picks either so if they want someone good their first and Bouchard would have to be in play.

I would highly doubt they'd buy out Koskinen. He had a good regular season and bailed out the Oilers a lot, its not his fault that he developed PTSD from all the pucks flying at him during epic this guy scored style moments. Plus they're losing Smith and if they drop Koskinen what do they have in the chute?

Skinner was supposed to be the next big thing, but he barely looks like an AHL goalie and is far from ready. I guess they could go out and sign a free agent starter at 5 mil but then you need to add on Koskinens buy out and that's an expensive proposition.

As for Neal and the 20 goal thing. They're welcome to keep him, he can't be trusted 5v5 at all. Eventually the jerk that he is, well its going to explode in that dressing room.

He had a 4 goal game in October, and 2 goals the game before it. So out side of those two games he scored 13 goals, but wait he had a 3 goal game in December.. 12 of his goals were on the powerplay. So he had 7 5v5 goals and he was minus 20. Some players have warts. James Neal is a massive puss filled boil of 5v5 ineptness.

And a team that close to the cap really can't spend 6 million dollars a year to be a pp winger, that's just stupid spending. Like really dumb.

Again though, I doubt the Oilers buy them out, a team with almost 10% of its cap space spent in dead space is dead in the water.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 09-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #1282
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
unpopular opinion I'm sure, but maybe this thread should die until we can at least get out of the first round again?
This thread is monumentally better when posters can stick to the topic, and avoid tangents which detract from the fact that Edmonton is no good.

No. Not even Elkyiv's back-handed campaign to end "Edmonton is no Good" can save the Oilers.

No one can.

No one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 09-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #1283
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would highly doubt they'd buy out Koskinen. He had a good regular season and bailed out the Oilers a lot, its not his fault that he developed PTSD from all the pucks flying at him during epic this guy scored style moments. Plus they're losing Smith and if they drop Koskinen what do they have in the chute?

Skinner was supposed to be the next big thing, but he barely looks like an AHL goalie and is far from ready. I guess they could go out and sign a free agent starter at 5 mil but then you need to add on Koskinens buy out and that's an expensive proposition.

As for Neal and the 20 goal thing. They're welcome to keep him, he can't be trusted 5v5 at all. Eventually the jerk that he is, well its going to explode in that dressing room.

He had a 4 goal game in October, and 2 goals the game before it. So out side of those two games he scored 13 goals, but wait he had a 3 goal game in December.. 12 of his goals were on the powerplay. So he had 7 5v5 goals and he was minus 20. Some players have warts. James Neal is a massive puss filled boil of 5v5 ineptness.

And a team that close to the cap really can't spend 6 million dollars a year to be a pp winger, that's just stupid spending. Like really dumb.

Again though, I doubt the Oilers buy them out, a team with almost 10% of its cap space spent in dead space is dead in the water.
I 100% agree with you and if I was running this team I would be going with a patient approach. I'd probably trade Nurse and Nuge for youth and picks and try to build from within. But the issue with this is the Oilers have been doing this for 10 years and ownership and fans have had enough and the pressure to turn it around NOW is at an all time high.

I see a guy like Murray being available and I see the Oilers thinking he could be the answer. He likely gets 6+ mil. I also only see them having room for him if they buy out someone or dump someone like Nurse. Goaltending was a huge question mark against Chicago.

Then again so was their D. I see them dumping Nurse as he was the whipping boy after the Chicago series. But they need d so I can't see them dumping Nurse without adding someone back.

I fully expect the Oilers make a splash this summer and they need cap space to do it. I can't wait to see how they manage it.

Benning and AA need qualify offers or they become UFAs. That is about 5 mil of their 9.7 million cap space. I believe Benning is worth keeping but likely gets a cap around 3 million which could drive him out of Edmonton. AA cost them a 2nd so can't see why they wouldn't try to resign. Likely around $3.5 million. If they spend $6.5 on those 2 that leaves 3 ish. Still have Bear and Bear's numbers are comparable to Rasmus. They could sign him short term but likely at least $2.25 for 2 years.

Riley Sheahan was their best faceoff guy on the PK. Typically on their first PK unit. Hard to resign him for less than Archibald got. I bet they try and keep him and likely around 2 million.

All this adds up to over the cap by around $1 million. If they were to dump Nurse it gives them $4 mil to spend and 20 guys. Still not a lot to upgrade anywhere with $4 million and as much as I dislike Nurse he still a loss to their blueline.

Maybe Chaisson or Russell get bought out but that has little impact on what they can do and you still need a body at $700k at minimum to replace them.

They could also explore Neal and their first to get rid of his contract. But when you don't have a 2nd or a 4th once again that options doesn't look overly good either.

But they are desperate so I can't wait to see how this shapes up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #1284
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh...so many problems with that roster.

Boil it down though....McDavid and Draisaitl can paper over a lot of cracks.

But their defence is horri-awful. You're not going to get far having to constantly score your way out of trouble.

A stellar powerplay will help, obviously, but 5 on 5 they were a complete trainwreck. They barely have 3 NHL defencemen and their goaltending...well...

A solid goaltender and a #1 Dman and you can maybe start precariously treading water. But the holes on that roster are big enough to drive a Battleship through.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #1285
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
AA cost them a 2nd so can't see why they wouldn't try to resign. Likely around $3.5 million.
*AHEM* ...

TWO second-round picks.

Edmonton is no good.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #1286
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lol still with this? Neal is a liability....20 goal scorer on the top line maybe but I doubt that even now. If he was an actual 20 goal scorer they could trade him easily
Not sure how you missed the dripping sarcasm. That post was soaked in it.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:29 PM   #1287
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
Looks like Oilers are to incur cap overage penalties of about 670k for next year due to bonuses for Smith, Haas , Jones and Bear
A bonus to Smith. I love typing that so I'll do it one more time. A bonus to Smith! That is beautiful!

Smith was 55th in the league in Save % in the regular season!

Did he make a full game in the Qualifying round? One, i think.

Edit: Right. That's beautiful too. He was pulled in Game 1 after allowing 5 goals on 23 shots and never got back in the net for the series.

Last edited by schteve_d; 09-01-2020 at 03:43 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 04:06 PM   #1288
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
A bonus to Smith. I love typing that so I'll do it one more time. A bonus to Smith! That is beautiful!

Smith was 55th in the league in Save % in the regular season!

Did he make a full game in the Qualifying round? One, i think.

Edit: Right. That's beautiful too. He was pulled in Game 1 after allowing 5 goals on 23 shots and never got back in the net for the series.
Da Na Na
Da Na Na
Da NaNa NaNa NaNa!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #1289
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
*AHEM* ...

TWO second-round picks.

Edmonton is no good.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Lol yes you are right. I forgot it was 2 2nds. The cost was much higher because he isn't a rental.

Off season comes they choose to not qualify him making him a UFA and a rental. They're a mess up there.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #1290
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

my favorite bonus could be Gaetan Haas' 200K plus for finishing a -1, as explained here deliciously below by Mr. Staples ( further comment by Looooob here: it is important to note he hits this bonus because Leon "MVP" Draisaitl and Connor "can't they share the MVP " McDavid finished well into the minuses. maybe Haas is truly heroic after all)

The bonus to Gaetan Haas was something of a surprise. He was eligible for up to three Schedule A bonuses of $212,500, but with his modest production numbers didn’t come close to most of the league-established targets. But he snuck under the wire for one, “Top three in +/- among forwards on team (minimum 42 games)”. His modest -1 was actually tied for sixth among Oilers forwards, but three of those ahead of them — Kailer Yamamoto (27 GP), Tomas Jurco (12) and Joakim Nygard (33) — pro-rated out below 42 GP. Same story for all three of the guys he was tied with, notably Markus Granlund (34 GP, pro-rates to 40). Bottom line, Haas made the top three by the skin of his teeth, and because he himself had played 42+ games, qualified for the full bonus.
The Following 67 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #1291
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Only in Edmonton.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #1292
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's amazing.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #1293
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting a bonus for being top 3 on your team as a minus player has to be first. That is 90s expansion team level bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #1294
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what is more just as funny is the RNH was first with a +1 and Kassian was 2nd with 0. Haas was a couple bounces from leading the team!

Do you know who has minus players in their top 3, the teams with the some of the worst records in the league.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #1295
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
my favorite bonus could be Gaetan Haas' 200K plus for finishing a -1, as explained here deliciously below by Mr. Staples ( further comment by Looooob here: it is important to note he hits this bonus because Leon "MVP" Draisaitl and Connor "can't they share the MVP " McDavid finished well into the minuses. maybe Haas is truly heroic after all)

The bonus to Gaetan Haas was something of a surprise. He was eligible for up to three Schedule A bonuses of $212,500, but with his modest production numbers didn’t come close to most of the league-established targets. But he snuck under the wire for one, “Top three in +/- among forwards on team (minimum 42 games)”. His modest -1 was actually tied for sixth among Oilers forwards, but three of those ahead of them — Kailer Yamamoto (27 GP), Tomas Jurco (12) and Joakim Nygard (33) — pro-rated out below 42 GP. Same story for all three of the guys he was tied with, notably Markus Granlund (34 GP, pro-rates to 40). Bottom line, Haas made the top three by the skin of his teeth, and because he himself had played 42+ games, qualified for the full bonus.
Quoted for Glory.

Its just so Oilers.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #1296
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Only in Edmonton.

Only in Edmonton can being No Good be so rewarding.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #1297
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
I just looked at the official Oiler site and it had this to say about Kevin Lowe:

Quote:
A new era in Oilers' history was ushered in when Lowe was named to the position of General Manager on June 9, 2000. With the announcement, the first-ever draft pick in Oilers' history replaced Glen Sather, who held the position since June of 1979. Lowe's appointment came a year after he was named Head Coach of the Oilers on June 18, 1999. Over those years the team's payroll was annually near the bottom of the league however the team was a league leader in dollars spent for points earned in standings including many playoff appearances. As GM, he became one of only 40 general managers in the history of the NHL to get his team to the Stanley Cup finals in 2006, losing in game seven to the Carolina Hurricanes.
This is just another level of incredible.

1)That Lowe writes his own bios. Given his massive ego, it shouldn’t be a surprise.

2)If this was a comment to this level of ridiculousness about some player on some schlub message board, that poster would be ridiculed into oblivion. Instead, this is on the team’s official site about an executive.

3)Literally nowhere in the history of stats or advanced stats has points per dollar spent crossed anyone’s lips, except Kevin Lowe in his bio (and, probably whoever will listen, and what he tells Katz) as some sort of meek justification. It certainly hasn’t held post 2006 either.

4)Literally nowhere in the history of stats has “unique GM” numbers been included. When the Caps and Blues won the last Stanley Cups, did CBC preface talking to MacLellan or Armstrong on the ice after the Cup win, by asking them how he felt to be the “55th unique GM to win the Stanley Cup.” ?

Truly incredible how that man’s ego and hubris knows no bounds.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #1298
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Have to give credit where credit is due ... great article by Staples buddy McCurdy today looking at the Oilers roster build vs the Lightning.

The gold standard of roster construction

Here is the quick analysis

Oilers crushed for value in the 2nd through 7th rounds and for their work in the trade market.

And for fun ... the Flames

Calgary's split is much closer to the Tampa split, but with the number one picks not having the same impact.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #1299
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's also missing from that comparison is the high first rounders Edmonton had and wasted (Yak, Hall, Eberle, Puljujarvi). Some of it is reflected in the trades (eg Larsson) but still...
Old 09-03-2020, 11:15 AM   #1300
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wow, I've always said that the biggest issue with the Oilers is that while they've racked up these high draft picks, they've also racked up high draft picks in the second round and beyond and really not gotten any value.

Maybe that's what happens when your scouting department is the Hockey News editorial staff and the son of the owners.

Even when you look at their first round picks, there's a major disconnect when they get beyond the easy picks.

I still have questions about Yamamto, he was a guy that looked underwhelming in the AHL, and he came up and got incredibly hot. Does that carry on?

Its funny that they'd done such a terrible job at drafting even in the first round with busts like Pool Party and Yak killing a valuable draft pick asset. Their Free Agent signings haven't worked out at all.

Worse yet, they seem to have a problem with coaches, Even Tippet couldn't get full value out of his lineup when the chips were down late in the season and into the playoffs.

As Darth Vader would say "Now their failure is complete"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Closed Thread