Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2024, 10:18 AM   #12461
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I had a fake ID. In the 90s they had these ALCB (Alberta Liquor Control Board) picture IDs for people to use to buy alcohol if you didn't have a driver's license. My brother had one even though he had his license. I looked similar enough to him so I borrowed it when I was 16 to get into a bar to see a band. I told him I lost the ID, so forever more my friends and I would use it to buy alcohol. I guess all 16 year old boys in my circle looked somewhat generic enough that the ID didn't once let us down. That little piece of plastic was a king maker.
Memories... I don't have an older brother, but was friends with a guy a couple years older and we looked similar enough that I could use his ID.

The kicker was that we had the same first name, which seemed like a golden ticket... I still remember bouncer's occasionally tripping someone up by addressing them by the name on their fake ID hahaha
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 10:30 AM   #12462
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I had a fake ID. In the 90s they had these ALCB (Alberta Liquor Control Board) picture IDs for people to use to buy alcohol if you didn't have a driver's license. My brother had one even though he had his license. I looked similar enough to him so I borrowed it when I was 16 to get into a bar to see a band. I told him I lost the ID, so forever more my friends and I would use it to buy alcohol. I guess all 16 year old boys in my circle looked somewhat generic enough that the ID didn't once let us down. That little piece of plastic was a king maker.
Ha, I had the same type. My brother in laws, similar story.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 10:42 AM   #12463
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liquor/drinking laws are so antiquated in Canada, and inconsistent from province to province. A guy on my beer league team moved here from Toronto, they had a 16 year old daughter. In Ontario a minor is allowed into pub style places if accompanied by an adult, not in Alberta (maybe due to the presence of slot machines?). They had their regular place in TO they like to go to so when they moved here there was a neighborhood pub they wanted to try. Of course they were refused entry due to her being a minor. Solution - they got fake ID for their daughter so the could go as a family.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 10:51 AM   #12464
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Liquor/drinking laws are so antiquated in Canada, and inconsistent from province to province. A guy on my beer league team moved here from Toronto, they had a 16 year old daughter. In Ontario a minor is allowed into pub style places if accompanied by an adult, not in Alberta (maybe due to the presence of slot machines?). They had their regular place in TO they like to go to so when they moved here there was a neighborhood pub they wanted to try. Of course they were refused entry due to her being a minor. Solution - they got fake ID for their daughter so the could go as a family.
Minors are allowed in most pubs in Calgary. I can take my kids to the Ship, Bitter Sisters, the 1600, craft breweries like Annex and Dandy. I’d guess the only places minors aren’t allowed is bars with VLTs. Which I don’t go to anyway.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 11:10 AM   #12465
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Dry January is already a thing. Now there’s a dry February too? But why?
February is the shortest month, so if your wife wants you to do a sober month it beats January or "sober October".

*Note its a leap year this year
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 11:18 AM   #12466
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I’d guess the only places minors aren’t allowed is bars with VLTs. Which I don’t go to anyway.

VLTs indeed will prevent a place from getting a Minors Allowed license.

They also need to maintain a minimum level of food service during all operating hours (so even if a neighborhood pub didn't have VLTs but wanted to stop food service at a certain time, they couldn't get a Minors Allowed license either).
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 11:26 AM   #12467
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just think North Americans are so uptight when it comes to alcohol. Like my son is 16 and I have zero issue with him having a drink or two. I’m not going to get him completely buckled, but then again it’s not like he’s not going to do that at some point anyway. I’d much rather he has a drink or two and I know what’s happening as opposed to skulking around drinking some kind of hooch that was a combination of liquors that he out together from booze we have around the house.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 11:44 AM   #12468
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Apparently you can change your cilantro dislike. Just eat more of it, and avoid the stems. I propose an experiment where all you cilantro haters try it for a month and see if you can be more perfect, like the rest of us.
My dad did this with the Swiss Chalet dipping sauce. Didn't like it at first, but kept on having it everytime he went (which was often, as they loved it and it was a cheap place to go for family dinners.) Eventually he got to the point where he loved it. Such an odd thing to be so determined about, but I respect the tenacity. We joke about it in our family often, so it definitely brings us joy in the end.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 11:49 AM   #12469
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I looked young for my age when I was in my 20's. So much that I was often asked for ID when I was out with the boys for a beer. I remember being in the Peanuts Pub in the Carriage House Motor Inn when I was 23. Bouncer comes up to our table and asks me for my ID. I show him my drivers license and he looks at me and says there's no way you're 23 years old, this must be a fake of some kind. So he takes me into the back room and asks who he could call to verify my age. I said he could call my Dad and I gave him his number. He dials and his face slowly turns red as he puts the receiver down. I asked what he said and he replies that if I didn't give you a beer he was going to come down there and kick my ass. We ended up getting a free pitcher of draft for that
Old 01-06-2024, 11:52 AM   #12470
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's for people who carry too much momentum from December, and February is a shorter month.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 11:53 AM   #12471
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I just think North Americans are so uptight when it comes to alcohol. Like my son is 16 and I have zero issue with him having a drink or two. I’m not going to get him completely buckled, but then again it’s not like he’s not going to do that at some point anyway. I’d much rather he has a drink or two and I know what’s happening as opposed to skulking around drinking some kind of hooch that was a combination of liquors that he out together from booze we have around the house.
Yeah, I grew up in a very lax attitude to alcohol, but my parents were pretty much the same.

I think its better to gradually learn about alcohol as you're young and what your limits and tolerances are before you hit 18.

I had a cousin almost die because her family was so strict. Zero Tolerance. No Alcohol until you're 18! We're not even discussing it!

She goes out on her 18th birthday and she knew nothing. No concept of shots, beers, nothing. Needless to say...that did not end well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 11:55 AM   #12472
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Minors are allowed in most pubs in Calgary. I can take my kids to the Ship, Bitter Sisters, the 1600, craft breweries like Annex and Dandy. I’d guess the only places minors aren’t allowed is bars with VLTs. Which I don’t go to anyway.
I can't be the only one surprised that Cliff's kids are underage, can I?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 11:56 AM   #12473
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why either of those months?

It’s the most miserable time of the year. Not the time to be giving up the things you like.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 11:56 AM   #12474
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's for people who carry too much momentum from December, and February is a shorter month.
One day longer, this year!
Old 01-06-2024, 11:59 AM   #12475
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My folks told me I'm allergic to alcohol, which worked as you expect. But I also grew up on an acreage and went to school in Cochrane, so underage drinking was a requirement.

But it turns out, there are certain types of drink that make me violently sneeze and get stuffed up, so they weren't totally full of it!
Old 01-06-2024, 12:06 PM   #12476
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently you can change your cilantro dislike. Just eat more of it, and avoid the stems. I propose an experiment where all you cilantro haters try it for a month and see if you can be more perfect, like the rest of us.
I have the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, so I've always hated it. But I married a Vietnamese woman and have done several extended trips to SE Asia, so it always finds a way into my food. I still don't like it, but it doesn't immediately repulse me anymore and I can eat food with cilantro in it without having to pick it out

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 01-06-2024 at 12:33 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 12:11 PM   #12477
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I have the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, so I've always hated it. But I married a Vietnamese woman and have done several extended trips to SE Asia, so it always finds a way into my food. I still don't like it, but it doesn't immediately repulse me anymore and I can eat foot with cilantro in it without having to pick it out
Sounds like you are halfway there!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 12:32 PM   #12478
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Attitudes in Canada around alcohol consumption have changed dramatically. We’re much more like Europe now than we were 20 years ago.

Like I said, I can take my kids into almost every pub I go to. That was not the case even 10 years ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 12:33 PM   #12479
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I can't be the only one surprised that Cliff's kids are underage, can I?
I’m in my early 50s. My kids are in high school.
Old 01-06-2024, 02:23 PM   #12480
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I went o my buddys hometown drinking festival in Germany years ago. Schutzenfest.

The beer gardens had a playground where the kids could play while the parents got gooned. People would write their phone numbers on their kids arms with a sharpie so if the parents got buckled someone could determine who they belonged too.

My Danish wife was blown away when it was frowned upon to leave your baby in the stroller sleeping g outside the cafe that were were dining in.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post: