Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2022, 11:02 AM   #1201
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
My youngest was at the bus stop for 20 minutes this morning and his bus didn't come. According to my wife he ran home crying. That's just not going to happen in +30 degrees.
Standing in one place for a long time in direct sunlight at 30-35 degrees is pretty unpleasant too. I was doing that waiting for a shuttle bus this summer and was desperately hoping it would show up soon because I had no shade.

I can add layers to stay warm. I can't remove more layers to cool off. -30 still sucks, though.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 11:11 AM   #1202
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I'm one of the heat seekers, but I don't have to plan to move to where that is. despite these dumb arctic vortexes, the heat is coming our way year over year and there's nothing the weirdo polar bear people can do about it.
Haha, this is the best one yet. Global warming is ****ing up our planet as we speak and there's nothing you losers can do to stop the awesome weather as result!!!!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #1203
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

+30 won't kill you unless you're outside for days without any hydration

direct sunlight is uncomfortable but in a city or near the mountains it's not like there's any shortage of shade

-30 could actually kill you and in a relatively short amount of time

a friend of mine actually froze to death in conditions like these. other factors may have been at play .. but consider me firmly on team +30
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:15 AM   #1204
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post

direct sunlight is uncomfortable but in a city or near the mountains it's not like there's any shortage of shade

a friend of mine actually froze to death in conditions like these. other factors may have been at play .. but consider me firmly on team +30
Yeah, no ####, but let's not pretend clothes don't exist.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 11:16 AM   #1205
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's always 21 if I stay inside away from the giant ball of fusion and the near absolute zero infinite heatsink of space.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:17 AM   #1206
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Why are +30 and -30 even the options? That makes no sense. It’s not like 0 is some perfect equilibrium of human comfort. Nor is it the most common average temperature in Calgary.

We should be comparing temps that occur with the same frequency. And we should also compare when they happen. Like it’s totally different for the low to be -30 at 3am than it is for it to be +30 from 11am to 5pm.

Comparing -30 to +30 as a binary choice is nonsensical.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:20 AM   #1207
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I went and updated this post based on the long-range forecast for the rest of this year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Your post made me curious so I went and checked the last 5 years of temperatures to see how often we hit +30 and -30 at any time during a given day. I added this year on just for fun. It looks like you'll only have to invoke the memory of hot days once or twice a year on average.

+30 Days
2022 - Jul 12/28/29, Aug 1/7/11/12/13/30/31, Sept 2/3/4
2021 - Jun 2/3/14/22/26/27/28/29/30, Jul 1/10/14/30/31, Aug 1/3/5/13/14/15
2020 - Aug 16/17/18
2019 - Jul 23, Aug 2/21
2018 - Jul 6/13/16/17/30, Aug 9/10/22
2017 - Jun 26, Jul 7/9/13/15/23/27, Aug 13/23/27/30, Sept 2/6/7

-30 Days
2022 - Dec 19/20
2021 - Feb 11, Dec 26/27
2020 - Jan 13/14/15
2019 - Mar 2
2018 - Jan 1
2017 - Feb 7, Dec 31
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 11:22 AM   #1208
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Why are +30 and -30 even the options? That makes no sense. It’s not like 0 is some perfect equilibrium of human comfort. Nor is it the most common average temperature in Calgary.

We should be comparing temps that occur with the same frequency. And we should also compare when they happen. Like it’s totally different for the low to be -30 at 3am than it is for it to be +30 from 11am to 5pm.

Anywhere from around +18 to +21 is the optimal temperature for human existence, that's why we keep our homes and buildings at that temperature.

As such, +30 is much closer to the optimal temperature than -30 is.

I think that's the only objective argument to be made.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 11:23 AM   #1209
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:

Because they're nice numbers away from 0. It's pretty simple instead of picking numbers you like more. You can compare +20 and -20 if you'd like. Someone who sets the air conditioning/heat to 18 degrees might have a different range they want to compare than someone who sets it at 23 degrees.

Lots of people in this forum live in a place where both +30 and -30 don't get hit too regularly so it's not unreasonable.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:24 AM   #1210
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't mind -30 if it's just me. I spent 40 minutes doing the walk, shuffling the cars around (had to park the truck in front of the house to plug it in, and the wagon in the alley in an attempt to protect it from the wind since it doesn't have a block heater) and it was so quiet and peaceful.

However, factor in the kids and I want to fire myself into the sun in -30 weather.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:25 AM   #1211
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd suspect room temperature vs -20 would be a very different conversation
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:28 AM   #1212
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

-30 obviously is worse. At -15 there is more of an argument - vis-a-vis what people enjoy more, but at -30, many things start closing down, so all the fun winter activities that 'team cold' enjoy are closed. No outdoor skiing/sports, etc. You can also die very easily. Look at heat deaths vs cold deaths in Calgary and its no contest, despite having more +30 days than -30.

Its not even a contest, we regularly have +30 and its nothing extreme. -30 sucks balls and much of regular winter life is restricted. Planes, cars, etc, are often impacted, etc. I could go on for days.

As long as its only our resident contrarian advocating for -30, we're okay. I'm not saying there is nothing to enjoy about -30, but you're lying if you said you'd take -30 forever over +30
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:28 AM   #1213
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post

+30 can kill people relatively quickly as well.

But again, as always, the argument seems to be “+30 isn’t so bad as long as you have shelter and hydration and shade! -30 is terrible because you have no choice but to be naked outside!”

It’s just not an even relatively meaningful comparison.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 12-19-2022 at 11:32 AM.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 11:31 AM   #1214
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Anywhere from around +18 to +21 is the optimal temperature for human existence, that's why we keep our homes and buildings at that temperature.

As such, +30 is much closer to the optimal temperature than -30 is.

I think that's the only objective argument to be made.
Right? The scale is way off.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #1215
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Its not even a contest, we regularly have +30 and its nothing extreme. -30 sucks balls and much of regular winter life is restricted. Planes, cars, etc, are often impacted, etc. I could go on for days.
Oh I used to love cold days like this for flying light aircraft. Crazy fantastic performance in that thick air, and usually perfectly smooth conditions. Now getting the plane ready in the cold sucked, but it was always worth it.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:33 AM   #1216
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Because they're nice numbers away from 0. It's pretty simple instead of picking numbers you like more. You can compare +20 and -20 if you'd like. Someone who sets the air conditioning/heat to 18 degrees might have a different range they want to compare than someone who sets it at 23 degrees.

Lots of people in this forum live in a place where both +30 and -30 don't get hit too regularly so it's not unreasonable.
Wait what? You are the one who literally posted the actual occurrences showing they don’t happen at anywhere near the same frequency thus supporting my point how bad of a comparison it is. But somehow you think it’s a good one?
Old 12-19-2022, 11:37 AM   #1217
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the cold because it brings in these nightly skiffs of snow. -28 and 2cms of snow turn the 6 traffic circles I have to navigate to get anywhere into Olympic quality short track speed skating rinks.
Barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:38 AM   #1218
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes - +40 to -30 is a more reasonable comparison, where at +40 it becomes just as difficult to do things comfortably and safely outside without dramatic measures taken. But it never gets to +40 here, so it's a tough comparison to actually think about in your head.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:38 AM   #1219
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious to see how next winter is too. Apparently we're about to come off a rare three-year La Niña cycle (ending in Spring 2023) which is helping to explain the abundant cold air and snow this season. Feels like we've been blasted with extremely cold temperatures way more than usual since November.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:44 AM   #1220
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, if 20 is optimal, and -30 is the benchmark, we should be comparing it to +70. 50 degrees either way from optimal is the only fair comparison. I'll take -30 over +70 any day.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote