Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2023, 05:18 PM   #11921
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Any insight you can offer about your lifestyle that may have helped you to this point?

You can't drop a flex like that on a thread full of ailing people and not offer a little wisdom.
I think a bit part has to do with genetics. My brother is a year younger than me at age 64 and has had a hip replacement and some knee operations. On top of that he has spinal stenosis and a degenerative back disease. At age 65 my hips and knees are working fine and I have no noticeable pains. Sometimes it's just bad luck.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:27 PM   #11922
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
... but you never scored the OT winner to put your team into the finals either.

I get to carry that along with my bad ankle.

#finewithit
Haha, I’m in the “played contact sports” category. I wouldn’t trade that to be able to do some lame gym exercises today!

It’s somewhat funny to me though, because some injuries I knew would come back to bite me and they have. Others seemed so minor back when I was 20 or whatever and they suddenly cause trouble now. Like I don’t really know how I banged up my ankle exactly, but it’s a problem at times!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 09:07 PM   #11923
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Any insight you can offer about your lifestyle that may have helped you to this point?

You can't drop a flex like that on a thread full of ailing people and not offer a little wisdom.
Clean living
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:14 PM   #11924
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m firmly on team Ibuprofen in my 40s. I’ve had fun though.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 09:23 PM   #11925
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Clean living
Insightful.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 08:07 AM   #11926
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm going to the doc next week. Pretty sure I have iPhone elbow. It absolutely kills. That or bone cancer I'm guessing from my WebMD searches.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 08:31 AM   #11927
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I'm going to the doc next week. Pretty sure I have iPhone elbow. It absolutely kills. That or bone cancer I'm guessing from my WebMD searches.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but is that an actual thing?

Or is this a euphemism?

The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 08:42 AM   #11928
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Clean living
yuck

not worth it

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 08:45 AM   #11929
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Haha, I’m in the “played contact sports” category. I wouldn’t trade that to be able to do some lame gym exercises today!

It’s somewhat funny to me though, because some injuries I knew would come back to bite me and they have. Others seemed so minor back when I was 20 or whatever and they suddenly cause trouble now. Like I don’t really know how I banged up my ankle exactly, but it’s a problem at times!
My son sees how rugby ravaged my body but he is dead set on it.

Old 12-15-2023, 08:45 AM   #11930
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but is that an actual thing?

Or is this a euphemism?

Its the wrong arm though. Like carpal tunnel but holding my phone like an idiot.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 08:49 AM   #11931
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
My son sees how rugby ravaged my body but he is dead set on it.
Well in all honesty, I 100% get it. I got banged up quite a lot playing rugby and I know full well that aches and pains today are from that. But, as you know, those are also the best times of your life! I would love to go back and do that all over again!
Old 12-15-2023, 08:51 AM   #11932
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well in all honesty, I 100% get it. I got banged up quite a lot playing rugby and I know full well that aches and pains today are from that. But, as you know, those are also the best times of your life! I would love to go back and do that all over again!
Who am I to tell him he can't.

He is bigger/stronger/faster/more skilled than I was at his age, 17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 09:12 AM   #11933
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Clean living
There’s probably a snark comment that could be made about elected officials having better benefits packages than the majority of people but we’re all gonna be grownups and not make that comment.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 09:14 AM   #11934
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll take the aches and pains I have now, I had a blast doing it. Beats having zero pain and doing #### all.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 10:05 AM   #11935
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I’ll take the aches and pains I have now, I had a blast doing it. Beats having zero pain and doing #### all.
A wise man once said if you ain’t given’er, you ain’t living’er.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 10:25 AM   #11936
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Haha, give up my thrice torn up knee, lacerated spleen, various stitches and hospital visits, bad back, concussions, etc. just to flex when I'm 70 about "clean living"? No thanks...I'd hate to look back and not think about all the skateboarding, snowboarding and general shenanigans over the years.

Hopefully you live a bit MoneyGuy. If you've made it this far unbroken, time to get the gang together, drop some shrooms and ride around in shopping carts or something. Don't go out like this, dude...there's still time.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 10:32 AM   #11937
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Haha, give up my thrice torn up knee, lacerated spleen, various stitches and hospital visits, bad back, concussions, etc. just to flex when I'm 70 about "clean living"? No thanks...I'd hate to look back and not think about all the skateboarding, snowboarding and general shenanigans over the years.

Hopefully you live a bit MoneyGuy. If you've made it this far unbroken, time to get the gang together, drop some shrooms and ride around in shopping carts or something. Don't go out like this, dude...there's still time.
Yeah dudes that celebrate easy lives confuse me.

What the point of having a body if you can't abuse it.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:37 AM   #11938
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
No, you don't. Look up some neck exercises and do some stretching through the day. Any real doctor worth their salt will tell you under no circumstances should you let a chiro manipulate your neck. My kinesiologist gave me some neck exercises. They are actually trained for this stuff...
I will offer an alternative opinion. Full disclosure my wife is a chiro. She graduated from the UofA with a physiology degree and attended the Canadian Chiropractic College in Toronto. All of her non-chiro classes were taught by faculty of the U of T med school. She has been practicing in Calgary for about 25 years. She has taken continuing education annually as well as additional courses such as graston technique, taping, etc.

To say she is not trained in manipulation or the mechanics and treatment of necks, the spine or the entire musculoskeletal system is simply ignorant and not based on the actual facts. I won't comment on the qualifications of a kinesiologist other than it only requires a 4 year undergraduate degree, is not a regulated profession and has a voluntary certification. If they wish to manipulate they can take additional courses, the same as a physio. Four years of daily hands on training or several weekends of courses. You decide.

Chiropractic is recognized by the Health Professions Act and is a regulated profession.

I know there is an incredible bias against the profession on this board against Chiro. None of the comments I have read over the years have been based in fact. Chiros treat and help millions of people a year whose ailments generally improve after intervention.

It doesn't help everyone, like most treatments.
Not all chiros are good. Some are better, some are worse. Some are simple grifters trying to get rich. Same as most professions. (except teaching. No one is getting rich teaching)

Sometimes people get hurt. That is sad but again, no different than any other treatment and much safer than some.
Chiro is not backed by science. This is simply not true. A simple google search will show the amount of research that has been conducted.

Anyways. I tend to turn the other cheek when this is brought up and don't wish to have a debate. I just tire of the drive by insults like the above that are not based in fact.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 10:38 AM   #11939
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Yeah dudes that celebrate easy lives confuse me.

What the point of having a body if you can't abuse it.
So you can be a ###### to people in pain. I guess?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 10:49 AM   #11940
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
I will offer an alternative opinion. Full disclosure my wife is a chiro. She graduated from the UofA with a physiology degree and attended the Canadian Chiropractic College in Toronto. All of her non-chiro classes were taught by faculty of the U of T med school. She has been practicing in Calgary for about 25 years. She has taken continuing education annually as well as additional courses such as graston technique, taping, etc.

To say she is not trained in manipulation or the mechanics and treatment of necks, the spine or the entire musculoskeletal system is simply ignorant and not based on the actual facts. I won't comment on the qualifications of a kinesiologist other than it only requires a 4 year undergraduate degree, is not a regulated profession and has a voluntary certification. If they wish to manipulate they can take additional courses, the same as a physio. Four years of daily hands on training or several weekends of courses. You decide.

Chiropractic is recognized by the Health Professions Act and is a regulated profession.

I know there is an incredible bias against the profession on this board against Chiro. None of the comments I have read over the years have been based in fact. Chiros treat and help millions of people a year whose ailments generally improve after intervention.

It doesn't help everyone, like most treatments.
Not all chiros are good. Some are better, some are worse. Some are simple grifters trying to get rich. Same as most professions. (except teaching. No one is getting rich teaching)

Sometimes people get hurt. That is sad but again, no different than any other treatment and much safer than some.
Chiro is not backed by science. This is simply not true. A simple google search will show the amount of research that has been conducted.

Anyways. I tend to turn the other cheek when this is brought up and don't wish to have a debate. I just tire of the drive by insults like the above that are not based in fact.
I wasn't suggesting a kinesologist should manipulate necks, I don't think anyone should, and that's what I've heard from doctors. I mean there are other things you can do to relieve pain and generally improve long term issues that don't involve the risk of a neck manipulation.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote