Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #1141
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

"A relative of a St. Louis Blues employee has tested positive for COVID-19, the team announced Sunday."
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...tive-covid-19/

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #1142
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Canadian Olympic Committee and Canadian Paralympic Committee say they will not send athletes#to compete in Tokyo#if the Games go ahead as scheduled, set to begin on July 24th.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/c...-ioc-1.5506291
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:28 PM   #1143
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
The Canadian Olympic Committee and Canadian Paralympic Committee say they will not send athletes#to compete in Tokyo#if the Games go ahead as scheduled, set to begin on July 24th.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/c...-ioc-1.5506291
If this is happening, surely we should expect an announcement of season and playoff cancellation from the NHL soon?
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:29 PM   #1144
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think if things get better...we see playoffs in empty stadiums. It's better than nothing.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:36 PM   #1145
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know. With some NHL players and staff testing positive, I would not be surprised if more cases pop up in the next few weeks. If only one player has it, it could easily spread to others. The NHL would look terrible if they started the playoffs only to have players get sick and have to cancel again.

I think announcing the season is over, is just a formality at this point. There is no reason to rush a decision though.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:57 PM   #1146
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
This could make for the best summer of sports ever.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:35 AM   #1147
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Obviously there is going to be a HUGE amount of pressure from pro sports leagues to restart, and with the disproportionate amount of teams in the tire fire to the south, there will be tremendous pressure on Canada to adopt the standards adopted by the Americans.

Knowing what we know now and the massive steps that have been taken thus far to combat this virus, it is difficult for me to imagine where the regulatory threshold to allow multiple 20 000 seat venues to come back online is met. i think it's optimistic to believe 10 months from now there is any pro sport being played.

The longer we go without them, the harder it will be to restart IMO.

I'm not predicting the NHL will go away, but I think a league wide contraction is certainly not out of the realm of possibility in a situation where a team like the florida panthers goes a year without revenue and can't get any profit sharing from the rest of the league.

Arenas and stadiums need anchor tenants to be sure, but I truly wonder how long some of these teams can hold out, even without much in the way of overhead.

IMO, I think it really puts the arena deal in Calgary in jeopardy as well.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:41 AM   #1148
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just don't see how the NHL and other professional teams can actually restart their operations with this outbreak being still an issue. These players fly all over North America, stay in countless hotels and ride how many buses in a season? They are eating and drinking at a whole host of restaurants and generally speaking interact with how many people on a regular basis.

The superstars of sport attract fans everywhere you go and I don't know how you completely stop those interactions? Sure players can say no and take precautions but there literally is NOTHING to stop people coming up to other human beings anywhere and saying hello or asking for a pic.

What happens if an outbreak occurs during the playoffs? A specific team and coaching staff being destroyed by this virus and having players and coaches in isolation. Who want's to win that way?

I will be the first to admit I would not want to watch the Flames in the cup finals vs a team that isn't fielding a proper team. I wouldn't be thrilled and clapping loud and proud if we beat an eastern club that's missing 10 key players and their coach and an asterisk next to our engraving. It's not a worth it.

We may be getting ahead of ourselves as the financial ramifications of all of this are becoming boarderline unthinkable. This has and will make the 2008 financial crisis look like a summer picnic in the park with a group of Supermodels drinking champagne while feeding you grapes and massaging you.

We literally have some of the largest, most stable and vitally important companies in the USA burning through cash at an insane rate. Their survival is in questions!! The cash burn combined with them drawing down on emergency credit lines is going to have even more concerns for the financial markets.

If some of the largest, wealthiest and most powerful companies in the US are wondering how they will make payroll, what makes us think that individual sports owners will? Look at the Canadian dollar. A $82 million cap is $120 million Canadian. It's a gong show all around!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:49 AM   #1149
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

IIRC, in the 1986 SC Finals, wasn’t there a viral illness running through the Flames?
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #1150
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Australia has joined Canada in saying they won't be sending athletes to Tokyo for the Olympics if they are held as scheduled in July.

The UK is expected to follow suit soon.

I expect this will begin to snowball this week and the Games will officially be postponed. Australia has apparently told their athletes to start preparing for a summer 2021 Olympics.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:02 PM   #1151
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Olympics officially postponed

https://twitter.com/user/status/1242140684301328391
Old 03-23-2020, 12:15 PM   #1152
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder with all these 10 minute Covid-19 tests that are being produced if that will open the door to the NHL to play in empty arenas.

Everyone entering the building must be tested in a location outside of the arena. If they pass they can then enter the building.

Of course there needs to be an excess of these tests because nobody would want a limited supply wasted to just test NHL players and staff.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #1153
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assuming the NHL doesn't resume, and it's almost 100% it won't imo, but opens for 2021 on time.

What are implications for draft?
What are implications for trades that occurred?
What are the implications for cap?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #1154
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Bob Borgen
@BobBorgen

Replying to
@GlobeKPD

Remember how Bobby Orr used to practice social distancing while ragging the puck during penalty kills?
Old 03-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #1155
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
What are implications for draft?
What are implications for trades that occurred?
What are the implications for cap?
I'm assuming a flat cap, and I'm also assuming that the draft will be based on the standings or some version of them (points percentage maybe) to calculate the lottery odds.

However, the trades thing is what gets me - what do you do about conditional trades? I.e., a 2nd that becomes a 1st if the team makes the playoffs? Did the teams in a playoff position "make the playoffs" for purposes of those trades? And if they do come back and do some zany 24 team tournament, does that qualify as "making the playoffs" for those purposes?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:21 PM   #1156
FlamesAreOne
First Line Centre

Exp:

CHL cancelled.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #1157
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

CHL announcement regarding the cancellation of the Memorial Cup...

Last edited by getbak; 03-23-2020 at 04:32 PM.
getbak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #1158
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

North Korea will win all medals.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #1159
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Major sports leagues will follow suit promptly I imagine.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:32 PM   #1160
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1242174286607114243
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote