Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2024, 11:57 AM   #1141
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
But when you already have Solovyov, Grushnikov, Kuznetsov, Miromanov, Pachal, Poirier, Jurmo, and Brzustewicz? Just feels extraneous. I could see them losing him on waivers within a couple years.

As for timbit's question about DeBrusk ... I wouldn't give him any more than 3-4 years, although I'd probably be willing to offer him more $$$ than any other team would have room for, given the Flames' overwhelming amount of cap space. Flames need guys to play in this transitional period who they can flip down the line. Similar to when they signed Hudler to a four-year deal in 2012. I don't see any way Mangiapane stays in Calgary (I think they should trade him at the draft) and DeBrusk would offer some continuity there -- and I'd be curious to see what he could do in a bigger role.
I think DeBrusk is redundant.

And the argument you used for him also applies to Okhotiuk - they need defensemen for the Flames and Wranglers. Some of the guys you mentioned may become NHLers, some won't. But more young cracks at it is better than less.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 12:01 PM   #1142
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Debrusk doesn't move the needle for me, even as a potential show & trade piece.

I think there'll be other, more interesting, higher ceiling players to look at on short contracts to either groom into core or support players, or more likely flip for picks/prospects at the deadlines the next few years.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:05 PM   #1143
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I wonder if Conroy is just setting us up on this one. Talking about being a player in free agency only to do what the Flames did around 2013. Sign guys like Raymond, Jones, etc. guys to have round your youth. In this case it would be someone like Barrie.

Though I could also see him moving someone like Mangiapane, retained, and our 2nd 1st round pick for Chabot.

What he should be doing is taking on bad contracts for picks.

But what do I know.
I don't think he's 'setting us up' when he talks about being active in free agency, but I do think that he is not intending on big game hunting. There is simply no point. But there is a need to round out the roster a bit.

I think he tries to find a defenseman for the top 4. Not a Hanifin-level guy, just someone who can take on decent minutes each night, until some of the young guys start pushing for more ice time.

I also think he looks for a C. They can be harder to find though. And if he can't find a C, Duclair would be a pretty reasonable option.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 12:16 PM   #1144
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think he tries to find a defenseman for the top 4. Not a Hanifin-level guy, just someone who can take on decent minutes each night, until some of the young guys start pushing for more ice time.
Yeah, I expect we'll end up getting a Dumba or Myers (heck maybe we see Brodie back).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:20 PM   #1145
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is pretty funny

https://twitter.com/user/status/1772667284416238009
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 12:22 PM   #1146
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Yes, Mr. insider... It's the guy you love to hate on.

If the Flames are mathematically eliminated with 5 games remaining I don't see why he wouldn't sit multiple vets, starting with Markstrom.
Because teams don’t do that.

They may trade good players for picks in an attempt to tank, but they don’t sit good players in an attempt to tank.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:31 PM   #1147
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Dumba? Why is everyone so hot for Dumba? I don't even understand what the supposed goal of such a signing would be.

If your goal is to be competitive, he doesn't help because he's terrible.
If your goal is to tank... why not just go with what's already here? Signing an extra player is pointless and keeps you from evaluating the defenders already present that might actually have upside.

I guess with all of that, it would be an extremely Flames move to make.
Ba'alzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:41 PM   #1148
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people are mis-interpreting 'competitive' with respect to the Flames' plans next year.

They know they are not going to be competitive, in the 'make the playoffs' sense of the word. What they are referring to (I believe) is to not suck - they don't want a 50 point season, they want to have meaningful games. They will still lose most of them, and finish bottom 10, and probably bottom 5, but they aren't going to go full San Jose.

They will never admit it publicly, but my guess is that their plan is to lose a lot of close hockey games (kind of like what they are doing right now)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 12:44 PM   #1149
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

DeBrusk is more of what we dont need, middle 6 LW's
Guy doesn't do anything to help us in the future.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:46 PM   #1150
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andrew Mangiapane is a really good player..

Unfortunately for the Flames he happened to pot 35 goals in a contract year and got too high of an AAV.

But at 50% retained I'm sure many teams would be interested in him. I doubt the Flames are that interested in paying $2.9 million for him to play somewhere else though, unless the return is significant...which it probably wouldn't be.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:52 PM   #1151
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Think we’re stuck with eat bread. Best thing that can happen is he has a great contract year coming up and look at moving at next years deadline. Time to move on.
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:52 PM   #1152
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I get the mentality of wanting to protect your young players from getting shelled every night.

It's definitely a fine balance between sucking enough to rebuild and not sucking too hard where you destroy the culture.

With that in mind I'd be fine going for a guy like Dumba. He can eat up minutes in hard matchups but he's not going to keep you from the bottom.

Same thing with goaltending. If we trade Markstrom we're probably going to want to bring in a 1b/backup vet like Allen, talbot or brossoit.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:55 PM   #1153
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
I get the mentality of wanting to protect your young players from getting shelled every night.

It's definitely a fine balance between sucking enough to rebuild and not sucking too hard where you destroy the culture.

With that in mind I'd be fine going for a guy like Dumba. He can eat up minutes in hard matchups but he's not going to keep you from the bottom.

Same thing with goaltending. If we trade Markstrom we're probably going to want to bring in a 1b/backup vet like Allen, talbot or brossoit.
I'd lol if the Flames brought Brossoit back into the Organization
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:55 PM   #1154
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think Dumba would be a good fit - can eat minutes and help your defense be less awful, but he isn't going to move the needle on winning many more hockey games.

'competitive'

And yes, Brossoit would be a good addition, if Markstrom gets moved. As would Quick.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:57 PM   #1155
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I'd lol if the Flames brought Brossoit back into the Organization
He has been fantastic in Wpg this year.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:57 PM   #1156
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Unfortunately for the Flames he happened to pot 35 goals in a contract year and got too high of an AAV.

But at 50% retained I'm sure many teams would be interested in him. I doubt the Flames are that interested in paying $2.9 million for him to play somewhere else though, unless the return is significant...which it probably wouldn't be.
Hmm last game I was thinking to myself this guy is not an NHL forward....
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:58 PM   #1157
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He has been fantastic in Wpg this year.
Oh yeah for sure. I'd all for it. It's just funny to me
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 01:03 PM   #1158
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

A lot of teams are still likely to be interested. He's a consistent scorer with a good motor, who initiates his own offence. He's good for 40+ points in a mid-six role. Yes, the AAV is high but also less risk, as it's only one year.

With a player like Mangiapane, there's a huge advantage to having him on the roster for a whole year, and seeing where he fits into the lineup before re-signing him.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:04 PM   #1159
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I think Dumba would be a good fit - can eat minutes and help your defense be less awful, but he isn't going to move the needle on winning many more hockey games.

'competitive'

And yes, Brossoit would be a good addition, if Markstrom gets moved. As would Quick.
Again... no he can't. I don't think you understand how bad Dumba has been for the past... I don't know, seven years?

Miromanov is better. Definitively. Pachal too.
Ba'alzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:07 PM   #1160
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba'alzamon View Post
Again... no he can't. I don't think you understand how bad Dumba has been for the past... I don't know, seven years?

Miromanov is better. Definitively. Pachal too.
Yeah, Dumba looks done. I don't know what happened, but he isn't a quality defender anymore. Not the player I want taking ice-time from a younger player. Maybe you try him a on a 1-year show-me deal, and hope he can be deadline trade bait, but I wouldn't invest any future into him.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good