Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2020, 01:56 PM   #1121
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
And I know this is controversial, but I'm happy about the window tint thing, too. I hate that. Not being able to see where a driver is looking as a pedestrian and cyclist is frustrating and dangerous.
That’s an argument I wish to see the actual data behind. Inattentional blindness is very real.

As a motorcyclist, I am constantly aware that someone can be looking directly at me and still not ‘see’ me. I know you’re an avid cyclist, and likely well aware of the phenomena.

I know we’ll never actually get the numbers on how many pedestrians are hit because they failed to secure eye contact with a driver before rightfully entering their path of travel, so I guess it’ll just be sour grapes. It is illegal because it prevents an officer from seeing activity inside the vehicle easily, and because it is the easiest money you can get.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #1122
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally an opportunity for all of the BMW and Audi drivers to get to show off their pristine, never-before-used signal lights.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #1123
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
What things can be assessed by anyone, and what things require an auto tech. Give me a list. One example, many cars don't come with mudflaps does the officer have a database to check what cars should have them what cars don't?
I mean, I kinda gave you a bit of list. You want me to go through every possible safety issue I think a cop could inspect? No thanks. As for the mud flaps, just because a vehicle doesn't come with them, doesn't mean they aren't required. If I recall correctly, there are specications, like distance to ground. This can be measured. I remember being in a Chevy dealership, and they had a simple sign explaining that you may need to buy mudflaps for your truck, and the regulation around it. Again, not complicated. It has nothing to do with a car database, it's a simple measurement.

Quote:
Then why the #### are you commenting? What an asinine thing to say.
I was acknowledging that yes, perhaps there is a possibility there are issues with a few items, (I don't know, and neither do you)it doesn't mean the entire initiative is worthless.

Quote:
This is not a program to actually improve safety, as I said to do that we need yearly vehicle inspections. Not a perfect system but it takes a lot of dangerous vehicles off the road. Also, Alberta has NO emissions testing a poorly running engine is horribly polluting. And we have many of those on the road.

Right, it is that simple. You either have perfect vehicle or a broken down piece of ####.
I'd be happy with yearly inspections and emissions testing. But we don't have those, so for now, lets do this.

I'm not sure what you are taking issue with? That people should be able to drive around with broken lights? Worn out tires?

Other than shouting that this is a cash grab, what is your objection to it? Or is that it?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:04 PM   #1124
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time to refill my headlight fluid I guess.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #1125
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the actual regulation:
Quote:
Mudguards 64(1) A motor vehicle or trailer must have a part of its body, a fender or a mudguard that covers the width of each tire.

(2) The body part, fender or mudguard referred to in subsection (1) must be above each wheel and

(a) extend downwards at the rear of each axle or axle group toat least the centre line of the axle, or
(b) be a distance away from the ground equivalent to at least 1/3 of the horizontal distance from the bottom edge of the mudguard to the centre line of the axle, but not closer to the ground than 150 millimetres when the vehicle is loaded.
https://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf

Super complicated, no way a cop should be responsible for mathing that one out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #1126
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Please please please please please DO NOT support emissions testing. It does next to nothing for the environment and pushes people towards financial suicide of financing newer vehicles they can’t afford. It’s a giant farce supported by governments, ins. companies and vehicle manufacturers because it’s a financial win for them.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #1127
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Please please please please please DO NOT support emissions testing. It does next to nothing for the environment and pushes people towards financial suicide of financing newer vehicles they can’t afford. It’s a giant farce supported by governments, ins. companies and vehicle manufacturers because it’s a financial win for them.
Yes, heaven forbid I get to ride my bike down the street and not choke to death by someone rolling coal. That sounds aweful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #1128
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It has a great deal to do with air quality. Ever been to a large city with no emissions regulations? Even the common practice of removing catalytic converters makes the engine pollute 1000x more. Then there are engines leaking fluids and burning oil these things are an environmental disaster.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #1129
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, heaven forbid I get to ride my bike down the street and not choke to death by someone rolling coal. That sounds aweful.
I know it’s hard to believe, but Alberta is much larger than the street that you cycle down. That ####### who throttles his DPF-delete f350 on MAXPOWRRRR on his programmer is not where policy starts and ends.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #1130
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We need basic vehicle inspections, I know that has turned into a boondoggle in some places (I've lived in them) but without it you have thousands of people driving around in cars that are not safe and in most cases they don't even know it.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #1131
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Here's the actual regulation:

https://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf

Super complicated, no way a cop should be responsible for mathing that one out.
I'm quite sure many new cars don't satisfy this requirement. Plus if there is a crackdown it needs to be for large vehicles I actively avoid them or purposely leave a space so someone else will cut in and provide a rock shield.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #1132
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Would love it if only to get the white Oakley wearing bro's to stop deleting all the emissions equipment on their jacked up diesels. Stinky, black smoke blowing polluters. Also, many big rig drivers (illegally) take these systems off their semis. Farmers with their tractors and combines too. Would seem to be low hanging fruit for the carbon crowd.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #1133
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm quite sure many new cars don't satisfy this requirement. Plus if there is a crackdown it needs to be for large vehicles I actively avoid them or purposely leave a space so someone else will cut in and provide a rock shield.
That's why Chevy had to put a sign up in their dealership. Just because a vehicle is sold somewhere, it doesn't mean it meet all the regulations for that specific jurisdiction. Should the dealership be required to make them complaint before selling? Of course they should. But then they couldn't sell them as an add on after.

I also think shops should be legally on the hook for making modifications to a vehicle that make them illegal, like to big of tires, removing cats, etc. And not just having the customer signing a form giving the shop indemnity. Make them legally responsible.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #1134
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know it’s hard to believe, but Alberta is much larger than the street that you cycle down. That ####### who throttles his DPF-delete f350 on MAXPOWRRRR on his programmer is not where policy starts and ends.
Good, lets get all the polluting ones off the road. Just because I used one as an example, doesn't mean the other polluting vehicles don't also count.

And I bike down more than one street. I even cycle up some!
Old 09-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #1135
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Out of curiosity, do you not have to get biannual vehicle inspections in Alberta?

Here in Nova Scotia you need to have your vehicle inspected once every two years to ensure that it meets safety requirements.

There are road blocks set up from time to time checking inspections (displayed via sticker on the windshield). I suppose any obvious major infractions would be ticketed at the time as well. But low washer fluid? Even if the officers are checking for safety that seems to be a poor use of time and resources.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:03 PM   #1136
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That's why Chevy had to put a sign up in their dealership. Just because a vehicle is sold somewhere, it doesn't mean it meet all the regulations for that specific jurisdiction. Should the dealership be required to make them complaint before selling? Of course they should. But then they couldn't sell them as an add on after.

I also think shops should be legally on the hook for making modifications to a vehicle that make them illegal, like to big of tires, removing cats, etc. And not just having the customer signing a form giving the shop indemnity. Make them legally responsible.
I think we are mostly in agreement about this whole thing. See this is why I think this stop and check is a quick cash grab. It will barely put a dent (yea I went there) in the problem some people will get tickets (fairly or not) the program will stop nothing will change. And I'd much rather officers do police work instead of playing mechanic.

I agree shops should have some responsibility, go to any tint shop and it's all wink wink this is for off road use, don't get pulled over. On polluting vehicles we are lucky, large land mass low population strong winds. Don't let that fool you into thinking cars in Alberta are not belching out pollution, they are. Engines with poor or non functioning emissions controls are noxious machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Out of curiosity, do you not have to get biannual vehicle inspections in Alberta?
No mandated inspections in Alberta it is left up to your insurance company.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #1137
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if they had these a bit more frequently, they would be effective. After seeing the news story, how many people are going to check and make sure the basics are working now? I'd imagine most who read it are at least going to take a quick look at their lights. So that on it's own is far more effective than the ticketing program.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:36 PM   #1138
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think if they had these a bit more frequently, they would be effective. After seeing the news story, how many people are going to check and make sure the basics are working now? I'd imagine most who read it are at least going to take a quick look at their lights. So that on it's own is far more effective than the ticketing program.
Yeah, but that doesnt make money.

"Hows our budget doing? Defunding you say? That seems less than ideal. We should do a Mob-esque shakedown of the populace for cash. Well...yes, that may not be popular but we're the Police...WTF are they going to do? Call us??"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:10 AM   #1139
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Stop being dramatic. Its not the same issue. One is an issue of finances, The other is an issue of being a ######.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:23 AM   #1140
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I should be OK with choking on smoke, because the person can't afford to keep their vehicle in good running order? Sounds fair.

Oh, right, I should just get off the road, or shut up and deal with it.