Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2024, 03:15 PM   #11221
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Details haven't been released yet.
Which makes 'Berta opting out almost immediately so hilarious lol
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 03:35 PM   #11222
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/cons...kers-1.6785780

Anti-scab law voted on unanimously by all parties (odd mainstream media title, considering this is a largely NDP led motion). iggy_oi should be quite happy on this bill being passed.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:39 PM   #11223
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's interesting, the CPC are trying hard to attract union-level votes. Pierre won't do a photo op or speech without a local union rep around. He and his policy team have also stopped meeting with many industry folk, as they want to cultivate a more "for the people" image.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:47 PM   #11224
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well it passed 2nd reading unanimously. Still lots of work to do to get it into law.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:58 PM   #11225
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
It's interesting, the CPC are trying hard to attract union-level votes. Pierre won't do a photo op or speech without a local union rep around. He and his policy team have also stopped meeting with many industry folk, as they want to cultivate a more "for the people" image.
I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth there. If all three major parties are becoming more pro-labour, that's a good thing.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 09:01 PM   #11226
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Cons going so far right they accidentally loop around to the left.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:24 PM   #11227
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/cons...kers-1.6785780

Anti-scab law voted on unanimously by all parties (odd mainstream media title, considering this is a largely NDP led motion). iggy_oi should be quite happy on this bill being passed.
I’d actually be interested to hear your thoughts on this bill.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:50 PM   #11228
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If they removed their support of “right to work” laws from their party policy more voters they’re trying to convince would probably believe they’re being sincere. I guess we’ll see what happens.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:45 PM   #11229
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Cons going so far right they accidentally loop around to the left.
I think what happened is that the Liberals moved so far into the private interest realm, that the conservatives saw the gaping hole they left behind with the working class, and ran to fill it. It's smart tactics, but goes against their base, which are going to be mighty confused.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:42 AM   #11230
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Countries across the West are seeing a political realignment, with the working class increasingly shifting to the parties of the right. The strongest predictor of political identity today is education, and education typically maps to income. So we have a political landscape where the people working in office buildings vote for parties of the left, and the workers who build the offices vote for parties of the right.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:12 AM   #11231
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Canada Strong and Free conference will be something to collectively keep our eyes on this year.

Rube, I wasn't saying it was a bad thing, just that it was a course change. Probably the right move to secure votes ahead of the election, too.

I think Cliff and Harry are both right here. It's pretty hard to argue that the liberals have not abandoned the middle class, working canadians in favor of whatever special interest tickles their fancy month to month. They spend like drunken sailors, but on companies friends or family own. It's outrageous. Meanwhile, Cliff is also bang on that this historical shift back to right-wing politics globally is being driven by a disenfranchised middle-working class group that feels like an outsider to policy making. So dual forces at play here that make it a particularly strong thrust.

It will be most interesting to see if the social conservative base can be married to the union-workers rights voters successfully. I think they can be, especially if you stick closer to centre on both groups voting issues.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 09:24 AM   #11232
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Probably a topic for closer to an election, but I wonder if NDP supporters will vote for Trudeau in order to try and block PP from getting elected?

Alternatively, NDP support might rise from people not wanting to vote Liberal. Will be interesting to watch, the answer might come from how the respective parties are polling closer to the election. People might just vote for which party has higher numbers, regardless of their platforms / track record.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:35 AM   #11233
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Canada Strong and Free conference will be something to collectively keep our eyes on this year.

Rube, I wasn't saying it was a bad thing, just that it was a course change. Probably the right move to secure votes ahead of the election, too.

I think Cliff and Harry are both right here. It's pretty hard to argue that the liberals have not abandoned the middle class, working canadians in favor of whatever special interest tickles their fancy month to month. They spend like drunken sailors, but on companies friends or family own. It's outrageous. Meanwhile, Cliff is also bang on that this historical shift back to right-wing politics globally is being driven by a disenfranchised middle-working class group that feels like an outsider to policy making. So dual forces at play here that make it a particularly strong thrust.

It will be most interesting to see if the social conservative base can be married to the union-workers rights voters successfully. I think they can be, especially if you stick closer to centre on both groups voting issues.
The ghost of Preston Manning continues to haunt us all.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:37 AM   #11234
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Probably a topic for closer to an election, but I wonder if NDP supporters will vote for Trudeau in order to try and block PP from getting elected?

Alternatively, NDP support might rise from people not wanting to vote Liberal. Will be interesting to watch, the answer might come from how the respective parties are polling closer to the election. People might just vote for which party has higher numbers, regardless of their platforms / track record.
Depends on where the NDP vote comes from. It has to come from Ontario. If it comes from Quebec and elsewhere, like Layton in 2011, Ontario will flip blue.

One of the ironies in Canadian politics, Layton won 100 seats and lost the balance of power.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:20 AM   #11235
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post

The not wanting to vote Liberal segment will be massive.
And which way they go is interesting.

NDP offer the more sensible social side that care about things like LGBTQ+ rights, women's rights, the environment but will destroy you financially.
Conservatives may offer the best financial outlook for a middle class or upper middle class family but are socially concerning.

Do I cut off my left hand or right hand?
The Liberals really have vacated the middle ground I think a majority of Canadians wish for.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:22 AM   #11236
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

They've abandoned it in the strangest way too. So much corruption mixed with strange, sometimes conflicting special interest. It's a remarkable bungle, and is probably further evidence of the total void of actual leadership up top.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 10:24 AM   #11237
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
The not wanting to vote Liberal segment will be massive.
And which way they go is interesting.

NDP offer the more sensible social side that care about things like LGBTQ+ rights, women's rights, the environment but will destroy you financially.
Conservatives may offer the best financial outlook for a middle class or upper middle class family but are socially concerning.

Do I cut off my left hand or right hand?
The Liberals really have vacated the middle ground I think a majority of Canadians wish for.
MYTH ALERT.

Based on what, exactly? Gambling on bitcoin? Cutting corporate tax rates?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 10:25 AM   #11238
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Example, I am not sure I can convincingly name a single policy the "liberal party" supports.

Carbon Tax? Nope

Tax incentives? About 1/2

Hydrogen export? About 1/3

No new developments at all and a total end to resource extraction? about 1/4

Plastics registry and ban? 1/2

$10 a day childcare might be one of the few.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:34 AM   #11239
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
MYTH ALERT.

Based on what, exactly? Gambling on bitcoin? Cutting corporate tax rates?
Letting our Banks delve into subprime mortgages so we can all lose our houses!
Old 02-28-2024, 10:36 AM   #11240
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If that doesnt toot your horn I'm holding the 'Canada: Weak and Oppressed' Conference in the hall right next door...

We have cookies!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote