Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2023, 06:14 AM   #1101
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Rebuild? That isn’t a word that people like to use because it makes it difficult to negotiate contacts and attract future players… don’t forget the non hockey effects if has on the business too. Instead we fans will hear things like being competitive, injecting youth and working hard every night.

Rebuilding also makes it difficult to change gears where if the stars align you can pivot quickly, like Calgary did after the “Heat Attack Kids” season. The biggest failure was being a year in and year out team instead of building a consistent competing roster.

Bean is … He’s very intelligent and highly effective in his role at CSEC. However when it comes to the Flames and Hockey Ops he’s much better at relaying Concession sales, Budgets and Season ticket holder retention strategy than hockey operations related information. Case and point the press conference.

Murray is Murray. He spends money but it’s has to make money. Him owning the Flames was always to hold the nuts of the city and have a level of political influence through his assets. It got the province to pony up. This shouldn’t be a shock to anyone. It could be worse but it could be better.

As for Duclair talk is just connecting people A) who work together and B) Huberdeau isn’t JG13 on his Edges and isn’t very light on his feet. He needs people who make defenders make mistakes not the other way around. JG13 forced defenders to make mistakes on a nightly basis and punished it. Also Noah and Florida are only linked because him and MT are close.

I should answer the question; I personally believe if well presented they would agree to a well planned and executed rebuild but if it’s 3 years. It sure better be 3 years. Colorado did this but they also had Nathan and Gabe, Calgary doesn’t have two players like that at a young age.

But if you could find your way into the Top 10 of this draft you could argue you have Wolf + X + X, let’s build.
Thanks man. Well explained. Happy as a fan what I’m hearing. When are you going to be appointed head of online PR? I really wonder who in the top 10 could conceivably want to deal with us? I’m thinking Washington if they want to be like Pittsburgh and give OV every chance to get in the playoffs? Anyway, hard to get in there but I really hope it’s going to be pulled off.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2023, 06:21 AM   #1102
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rebuild? That isn’t a word that people like to use because it makes it difficult to negotiate contacts and attract future players… don’t forget the non hockey effects if has on the business too. Instead we fans will hear things like being competitive, injecting youth and working hard every night.

Rebuilding also makes it difficult to change gears where if the stars align you can pivot quickly, like Calgary did after the “Heat Attack Kids” season. The biggest failure was being a year in and year out team instead of building a consistent competing roster.

Bean is … He’s very intelligent and highly effective in his role at CSEC. However when it comes to the Flames and Hockey Ops he’s much better at relaying Concession sales, Budgets and Season ticket holder retention strategy than hockey operations related information. Case and point the press conference.

Murray is Murray. He spends money but it’s has to make money. Him owning the Flames was always to hold the nuts of the city and have a level of political influence through his assets. It got the province to pony up. This shouldn’t be a shock to anyone. It could be worse but it could be better.

As for Duclair talk is just connecting people A) who work together and B) Huberdeau isn’t JG13 on his Edges and isn’t very light on his feet. He needs people who make defenders make mistakes not the other way around. JG13 forced defenders to make mistakes on a nightly basis and punished it. Also Noah and Florida are only linked because him and MT are close.

I should answer the question; I personally believe if well presented they would agree to a well planned and executed rebuild but if it’s 3 years. It sure better be 3 years. Colorado did this but they also had Nathan and Gabe, Calgary doesn’t have two players like that at a young age.

But if you could find your way into the Top 10 of this draft you could argue you have Wolf + X + X, let’s build.

Thanks for the updates, it's really appreciated.

Any word on Backlund? Is he getting any interest from around the league, are the Flames even shopping him at this point?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2023, 06:31 AM   #1103
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t get how the flames would like to get into the top 10 and still keep 16th pick? Their top 2 trading assets can’t sign an extension until July 1st. Can would be trade partners even be allowed to talk to agents about extensions?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 07:17 AM   #1104
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I don’t get how the flames would like to get into the top 10 and still keep 16th pick? Their top 2 trading assets can’t sign an extension until July 1st. Can would be trade partners even be allowed to talk to agents about extensions?
Even if they can talk, the only way those get 8-year contracts is to sign on July 1 or thereafter. So, if they are insistent on getting 8-year contracts, 2023 draft picks are out.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 07:21 AM   #1105
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames can tell a players agent to talk to another GM an get the framework for an 8 year deal in place, trade them at the draft and then that player can sign for 8 years on July 1st
Old 06-25-2023, 07:22 AM   #1106
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Thanks man. Well explained. Happy as a fan what I’m hearing. When are you going to be appointed head of online PR? I really wonder who in the top 10 could conceivably want to deal with us? I’m thinking Washington if they want to be like Pittsburgh and give OV every chance to get in the playoffs? Anyway, hard to get in there but I really hope it’s going to be pulled off.
I could see Detroit moving their pick at 9. I suspect Lindholm would be their target, maybe Hanifin. They do seem set though with Seider and Edvinsson as LHS D.

Something around Lindholm (extension in place) for 9OA might work. Perhaps some additional pieces on either side. I think Detroit will be motivated to make the playoffs. They’ve been drafting in the top 10 for six years already.
TOfan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2023, 07:23 AM   #1107
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I suspect Flames told Pat Brisson what they want in return and he’s brokering most of this deal because of the required extension. This is super common these days.
Brisson brokering a Hanifin deal shows why agents are considered qualified to become GMs - the better ones understand the league, player valuation, and negotiations as well as a GM. It also shows that despite what a lot of fans think, trades aren’t battles that one side wins. Someone with an interest in getting a deal done that suits all parties can come up with a fair trade that works for everyone.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2023, 07:31 AM   #1108
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Brisson brokering a Hanifin deal shows why agents are considered qualified to become GMs - the better ones understand the league, player valuation, and negotiations as well as a GM. It also shows that despite what a lot of fans think, trades aren’t battles that one side wins. Someone with an interest in getting a deal done that suits all parties can come up with a fair trade that works for everyone.
That’s right. Whether it’s a trade or a contract negotiation I think the emphasis is getting to a place where both sides are happy and bargaining in good faith. It’s not about screwing the other guy over or ‘winning’. Well, both sides should ‘win’.

I don’t know the rules exactly, but if the Flames find a trading partner for Lindholm/Hanifin in a location where they would be happy perhaps they hammer out an agreement in principle thereby facilitating the trade. July 1st arrives and they put pen to paper. If the acquiring teams pulls the rug out from under the players feet, they effectively destroyed that relationship and ruined their own reputation throughout the league. That’s a threshold I don’t think any GM would cross. They would likely never see the light of day again.
TOfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 07:49 AM   #1109
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks Sec, as always. Am equally interesting question I feel is why we want to get into the top 10....

The ranking tiers from Bingo in the draft thread:

6 Zach Benson F 7.29

Tier 3
7 Ryan Leonard C 9.24
8 Dalibor Dvorsky C 10.33
9 Oliver Moore C 11.52
10 Axel Sandin Pellikka D 12.14
11 David Reinbacher D 12.19

Edit: reading Sec's post back it could just be a case of adding another top BPA pick into the system and not something specific.

Last edited by iloveicedhockey; 06-25-2023 at 07:52 AM.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:05 AM   #1110
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames rank prospects in tiers, and Button commented that at 16th they’ll be drafting in the third tier.

First tier is likely picks 1-5.

Question is where does their second tier end. 10? 12?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:27 AM   #1111
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Flames rank prospects in tiers, and Button commented that at 16th they’ll be drafting in the third tier.

First tier is likely picks 1-5.

Question is where does their second tier end. 10? 12?
With our luck, probably 15 haha.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:30 AM   #1112
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way I can really see them getting into the top 10 while keeping 16 is if Detroit is willing to give up the 9th pick for Lindholm. Not crazy to think about so we will see
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:33 AM   #1113
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just excellent stuff SEC. Thanks!

Brisson brokering...unless they narrowed down the teams and have trade packages in place, i hope this isn't happening. If Hanifin's ask is large and isn't showing compromise/flexibility, it turns risk taking teams off that might have paid handsomely for him with a chance that they could sign him LT.
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2023, 08:35 AM   #1114
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The only way I can really see them getting into the top 10 while keeping 16 is if Detroit is willing to give up the 9th pick for Lindholm. Not crazy to think about so we will see
It’s possible Washington might try stay competitive. They could definitely use Hanifin.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2023, 08:37 AM   #1115
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if Michkov goes top 6 if then Washington would be OK trading down or just trading their pick.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:41 AM   #1116
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Even if they can talk, the only way those get 8-year contracts is to sign on July 1 or thereafter. So, if they are insistent on getting 8-year contracts, 2023 draft picks are out.
Dahlin’s contract is already in the drawer ready to sign and as we are seeing with Lindholm there is already contract negotiations going on. Flames let the agent broker the deal and player signs on July 1st. We will see it with PLD if he goes to the Kings.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:45 AM   #1117
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Just excellent stuff SEC. Thanks!

Brisson brokering...unless they narrowed down the teams and have trade packages in place, i hope this isn't happening. If Hanifin's ask is large and isn't showing compromise/flexibility, it turns risk taking teams off that might have paid handsomely for him with a chance that they could sign him LT.
I mean if a team wants Hanifin and will only trade for him if is signed long term, how else would you do it? If Hanifin has a dumb ask on his contract then the return will be closer to what he’d get as a trade deadline rental anyways
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:46 AM   #1118
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure why lindholm would be interested in signing an extension with Detroit. He’s not going to take the 1st line center spot from Larkin . Whondontheybhave to play with him for 2nd line? It won’t be Raymond .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:55 AM   #1119
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I personally don't see Detroit based on where they are right now. Frankly I think all the teams in the top 12 are shallow enough where they could use that 1st line/1st D pick, and they need to make the pick. I think Buffalo is the only team where they should consider dealing it to get a guy like Lindholm or Hanifin. NHL owners can be finicky and demand results immediately leading to fast tracking mistakes which we've continuously seen in the league, so who knows?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:58 AM   #1120
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I mean if a team wants Hanifin and will only trade for him if is signed long term, how else would you do it? If Hanifin has a dumb ask on his contract then the return will be closer to what he’d get as a trade deadline rental anyways
Then you don't trade with that team. Teams will pay up for him in hopes he signs. Sign and trades are rare. Hanifin is prized. UFA blueliners suck this year.

What i was saying is you don't let the agent talk unless you think a contract can be made and you already have a juicy trade package locked in from each of the teams. That's all i meant. And I'm sure that is what is happening if Brisson is involved.