Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2023, 09:11 PM   #1081
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The other poster said he didn't want to get into an argument about it and I don't either, so I'll explain what I meant and hopefully we can just leave it there.

Hopefully that explains my meaning and we can just drop it and return our focus to the NHL's bafflingly stupid decision.
Nothing wrong with respectful, thoughtful discussion so we all learn. appreciate you sharing your thoughts and explanation.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 11:55 PM   #1082
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Apparently a NHL team has ordered a whole case of Pride Tape, according to the Athletic.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 12:13 AM   #1083
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would not surprise me if it was Pittsburgh.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 02:01 AM   #1084
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

No pride tape but our teams can wear gigantic ugly gambling ads on their helmets. That’s appropriate. Kids can’t know gay people exist but we’re cool if they become gambling addicts that help our bottom line.

Is there some way I can contact the Flames to let them know how ridiculous that is? Very disappointed to see those monstrosities on their helmet tonight.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:51 AM   #1085
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Would not surprise me if it was Pittsburgh.
Because of Burke? He's gone.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 07:57 AM   #1086
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
In my view the PA has always incorrectly focused on defending the few instead of the many.
- When a player is suspended for hurting another player, often there is an appeal. Seems to index towards the rights of the offender and not the impacts on the victim
- In this case, they have supported the memo, basically to defend the rights of the bigots amongst their members, such as the Staals. Instead of respecting what seems to be the more prevailing desire to support pride.
You’re assuming the PA is only listening to the players who don’t support pride. But I’d wager there are a lot of players who are happy to wear pride jerseys or tape, but who don’t want to see their teammates publicly shamed.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 09:00 AM   #1087
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s 2023. I’m more than ok with shaming bigots. So should the PA.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 09:00 AM   #1088
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

IMO, the positive that will come out of this is all of the focus going forward will be on the supporters when they inevitably break the rule. It will be (or should be) a positive story, focusing on the good, rather than a negative story focusing on the players that don't break the rule (I hope, anyway).
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:31 AM   #1089
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You’re assuming the PA is only listening to the players who don’t support pride. But I’d wager there are a lot of players who are happy to wear pride jerseys or tape, but who don’t want to see their teammates publicly shamed.
It's pretty clear this is the issue from the NHL and PA's perspective.

You can't give players "a choice", which, if they choose to not wear the jersey, the player faces media & public ridicule to the point of a significant contingent of media & fans are wanting them removed from the league.

I've long been on the side of removing every theme/support from the ice - stop forcing the entertainers to take a political stance on this side or that side (because everything today is apparently black or white - "you're either with me or you're against me"). I suppose it all boils down to the fans expectations of the NHL - what do expect from them? I expect them to provide entertainment, and nothing more. Some other fans expect them to provide entertainment, as well as to advance social progression. Which is the proper path for this league? Fans will probably not agree on what the expectations should be.

Last edited by The Fonz; 10-12-2023 at 09:35 AM.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 10:16 AM   #1090
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
(because everything today is apparently black or white - "you're either with me or you're against me")
You can see that in the assumption that anyone who supports pride wants to see people who won’t wear pride symbols shamed. But IMHO, that kind of stark judgement is mostly an on-line phenomena. In real life (ie in the NHLPA), I’d wager “supports pride but doesn’t want people who refuse to wear symbols to be called out and shamed” is a more common stance than “supports pride and wants anyone who refuses to wear symbols called out and shamed.”

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-12-2023 at 10:18 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 10:47 AM   #1091
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You can see that in the assumption that anyone who supports pride wants to see people who won’t wear pride symbols shamed. But IMHO, that kind of stark judgement is mostly an on-line phenomena. In real life (ie in the NHLPA), I’d wager “supports pride but doesn’t want people who refuse to wear symbols to be called out and shamed” is a more common stance than “supports pride and wants anyone who refuses to wear symbols called out and shamed.”

There is a third option right in the middle:

supports pride but doesn't care if people on the internet are mean to those who refuse.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 10:50 AM   #1092
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
There is a third option right in the middle:

supports pride but doesn't care if people on the internet are mean to those who refuse.
No, you must either fully succumb to propagating this dogmatic display of identity politic assimilation or stand righteous and opposed to seeing your brothers victimized by it.

Impossible to just… not care if people you know say stupid things and get flack for it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 10:59 AM   #1093
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know someone is a scumbag when you support Allan Walsh and what he has to say about this matter.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 11:54 AM   #1094
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
You know someone is a scumbag when you support Allan Walsh and what he has to say about this matter.
Yeah...when Allan Walsh is on the right side of things you know something is FUBAR.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 01:16 PM   #1095
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sharks doing it right.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1712214684970209414
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 01:19 PM   #1096
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Because of Burke? He's gone.

Dubas has always been a pretty big advocate as well, so this wouldn't shock me, and the Pens have always been pretty supportive overall, so it wouldn't be out of character.

Leafs are another team that I wouldn't be surprised, all of their leaders on the team itself have been supportive and so is Treliving, pretty sure Shanahan has attended Toronto's Pride.

Plus last year when all the controversy started, they played in Columbus on the CBJ's Hockey Is For Everyone night and at least half the Leafs, including Tavares and all the alternate captains, plus Giordano and a few others, used Pride Tape in warm-ups (Marner and I think someone else left it on the grip of their stick for the game too, if I recall correctly)

As the visiting team, in the midst of a controversy over Pride support, they were deliberate in their show of support, so yeah, Leafs wouldn't shock me. Neither would the Flames, honestly.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:31 PM   #1097
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
As the visiting team, in the midst of a controversy over Pride support, they were deliberate in their show of support, so yeah, Leafs wouldn't shock me. Neither would the Flames, honestly.
Not so fast...

Quote:
We're going to support Pride any way we can other than the tape,” Flames captain Mikael Backlund said. “We're going to follow the rules and do what we're told.” When asked how he could show Pride allyship without using tape on his stick, Backlund pointed at other initiatives available to players.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:36 PM   #1098
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's incredibly disappointing.

And reaffirms my decision to stop watching hockey.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 04:32 PM   #1099
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's already in the rule book that they can use any tape! This just boggles my mind. Gross.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kipperiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2023, 04:38 PM   #1100
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
It's already in the rule book that they can use any tape! This just boggles my mind. Gross.
Yeah, it goes beyond being left unaddressed to specifically state that tape of any color can be used anywhere on your stick.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote