Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #1081
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a cool one. This is that old train station right behind the Alberta Ballet building, the North entrance of Lindsay Park on 18th Ave (a couple meters SE of St. Mary Cathedral.)
Spoiler!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #1082
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have any of the old paska-poo track that COP replaced?
That thing was frickin nuts.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #1083
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

on the stripper note, we used to go to the old Airliner Inn on edmonton trail and mcknight. Watching the 2nd season of Fargo and there is the old airliner being used in the series as a hotel. good times.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #1084
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
This is a cool one. This is that old train station right behind the Alberta Ballet building, the North entrance of Lindsay Park on 18th Ave (a couple meters SE of St. Mary Cathedral.)
Spoiler!
Excellent series of pictures, thank you. Also excellent picture quality on them.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #1085
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Good god... comic book shops, record shops, arcades, downtown theatres...it sounds like downtown was a way more interesting place in the 80s.

I am too young to ever remember theatres at Esso Plaza but I thought there were theatres at Bankers Hall as well?

Stephen Avenue is just a decrepid mess of empty vacancies now with restaurant after restaurant posting notices that they couldn't come to a lease agreement with the landlord about a rent $ that made sense. The rents are just way too high to have anything interesting down there.
Yes Bankers Hall had some really nice theatres on the top floor. I used to watch movies there all the time because they were some of the more nicely maintained theatres in town. I was surprised they closed them because they were quite popular.

My friends and I would take the bus and LRT downtown on Saturdays. Have a meal at McD's/Subway/Dairy Queen/The Bay basement (and, IIRC, the cafeteria on one of the higher floors). Go to the sketchy arcades, visit the pawn shops, used bookstores, magazine stores (I'd pickup European Commodore 64 magazines from Billy's News). Eau Claire had a dump next to the smoke stack. Prince's Island Park was dead all the time, even on the nicest summer days. Only chicks sunbathing. Not even the bums went there, which I always found odd.

CSB: There used to be a sub shop near the arcade on 7th Ave. Just getting there was an experience. People would whisper "hash" to you as you walked by. So one day we were having lunch at the sub shop and the cops arrested some people in the upstairs area of the restaurant. We were eating at the counter by the window when a cop slammed some guy's face into the glass right in front of us.

Good times.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #1086
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Construction projects

Spoiler!
I'm having trouble orienting myself on this... Obviously, I recognize the tower and the international hotel, and west, but I just don't recognize anything else.

Can someone landmark some of the bridges or something?
Old 12-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #1087
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some old black and white photos of Calgary. Unfortunately I have no idea the dates. But I am assuming they are 1950s or earlier.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 12-03-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #1088
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
I'm having trouble orienting myself on this... Obviously, I recognize the tower and the international hotel, and west, but I just don't recognize anything else.

The island is the Zoo. The bridge just beyond the island is Reconciliation bridge.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #1089
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

These photos have been awesome, HuntingWhale.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #1090
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post

I'm curious about the timeline of that one. The Tower is there so it has to be after the late-60s, but the flyovers aren't there, so it can't be too far into the 70s. Apparently, the 5th Ave flyover opened in 1972.

The Zoo on St George's Island is in the bottom left corner. The General Hospital in Bridgeland would have been just off the right side of the photo.

The bridge to the Zoo island is still there off of eastbound Memorial. Memorial Drive has been significantly expanded since then. It looks like it's only a two-lane road there.

You can see the Langevin Bridge crossing the Bow.

Comparing that photo to a current one, there isn't a lot in the photo that still exists today. The whole area around Fort Calgary (reclaimed by the city in 1974) and the East Village are completely different. Bridgeland is significantly different too.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #1091
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The first time I was in a strip club, I was underaged. I was with two buddies who were older than 18 so they did not end up carding me. I'm trying to remember the name of the club. I believe it was in the basement of the York Hotel. I think it was called the Spotlight Club? Can't find any evidence on the internet such a club by that name ever existed in the basement of the York Hotel but I remember they advertised in the Calgary Sun at the time. That's something else that seems to have disappeared -- advertisements for gentlemen's clubs in the mainstream media.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #1092
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

it was indeed the Spotlight Club, went there a few times as well.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #1093
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some old black and white photos of Calgary. Unfortunately I have no idea the dates. But I am assuming they are 1950s or earlier.

Spoiler!
Have you considered contacting the Glenbow about your collection? It seems like something they might like to preserve. The pics you've posted have been awesome.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #1094
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!
I believe the terminus was at the ballet building. If you look at the 1948 map here, it looks like there was a train yard where the Talisman is now with the tracks going over to Ogden - https://maps.calgary.ca/Crowchild/

Quote:

Spoiler!
This is Stephen Ave facing westward (the photo is reversed) The building on the right, closest to camera is The Belvedere, then Original Joe's, Blink, Divino and so on

Quote:
Spoiler!
This is the same part of Stephen Ave except looking east (again photo is reversed) so that's Winners on the right, Patagonia on the immediate left, following by the little wooden building which is currently a souvenir store and is actually the oldest building in downtown Calgary (1885)

Trams ran down Stephen Ave back in the day. Here's a picture of the same stretch of Stephen Ave from the 20s. Again, Winners on the left (the immediate buildings on the left don't exist - they're now the Bank of Montreal building built in 1930 (now a gym I believe)

Thanks for the photos Huntingwhale. I appreciate what your grandad was doing. When I first came to Calgary, for a number of years, I wandered around taking a bunch of photos documenting buildings and streets in Calgary in the hope that they'd be interesting to look back on for future viewers. I haven't done it in years, but I need to go get myself a camera and get back to doing that. I love looking at the evolution of places.

Last edited by Swift; 12-03-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #1095
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Dug out a couple of reproduction prints I bought on ebay years ago. I just scanned them and they're not great quality scans but here they are anyway. The first is actually the same photo I just posted above but bigger.

Spoiler!
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #1096
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Have you considered contacting the Glenbow about your collection? It seems like something they might like to preserve. The pics you've posted have been awesome.
Yes, yes, yes. Those photographs are amazing. I am trained as an archivist, and photos like that are really welcomed in collections.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #1097
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
My friends and I would take the bus and LRT downtown on Saturdays. Have a meal at McD's/Subway/Dairy Queen/The Bay basement (and, IIRC, the cafeteria on one of the higher floors). Go to the sketchy arcades, visit the pawn shops, used bookstores, magazine stores (I'd pickup European Commodore 64 magazines from Billy's News). Eau Claire had a dump next to the smoke stack. Prince's Island Park was dead all the time, even on the nicest summer days. Only chicks sunbathing. Not even the bums went there, which I always found odd.

CSB: There used to be a sub shop near the arcade on 7th Ave. Just getting there was an experience. People would whisper "hash" to you as you walked by. So one day we were having lunch at the sub shop and the cops arrested some people in the upstairs area of the restaurant. We were eating at the counter by the window when a cop slammed some guy's face into the glass right in front of us.

Good times.
Typically Saturday with my buddies circa 1984-86:

C-Train downtown. Head to to Three Ring Circus or Illusions on Stephen Ave Mall and play a couple arcade games. Stop into Catch the Winds to buy the latest D&D module. Go the Lancaster Building and grab pizza at DJs and take it up into Devonian Gardens to eat. Browse records and CDs at Sam the Record Man. Cruise around the plus-15s checking out the punk chicks. Make our way to Esso Plaza for more arcade games. Back to Stephen Ave to check out shirts, pins, posters, etc, at Boodlum or Charisma. Go to the comic store at the end of mall and pick up a couple issues of the latest Daredevil or X-Men. Back on the train and home for dinner. Out of pocket maybe $15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
The first time I was in a strip club, I was underaged. I was with two buddies who were older than 18 so they did not end up carding me. I'm trying to remember the name of the club. I believe it was in the basement of the York Hotel. I think it was called the Spotlight Club? Can't find any evidence on the internet such a club by that name ever existed in the basement of the York Hotel but I remember they advertised in the Calgary Sun at the time. That's something else that seems to have disappeared -- advertisements for gentlemen's clubs in the mainstream media.
The Spotlight was nasty.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 12-04-2017 at 11:47 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #1098
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny how this thread has split into two discussions -- historic photos and peeler clubs. Never change CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
Yes, yes, yes. Those photographs are amazing. I am trained as an archivist, and photos like that are really welcomed in collections.
Cool. Would you be able to explain a bit about what that involves? Just curious...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #1099
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Typically Saturday with my buddies circa 1984-86:

C-Train downtown. Head to to Three Ring Circus on Stephen Ave Mall and play a couple arcade games. Stop into Catch the Winds to buy the latest D&D module. Go the Lancaster Building and grab pizza at DJs and take it up into Devonian Gardens to eat. Browse records and CDs at various record stores. Cruise around the plus-15s checking out the punk chicks. Make our way to Esso Plaza for more arcade games. Back to Stephen Ave to check out shirts,, pins, etc, at the head shops. Go to the comic store at the end of mall and pick up a couple issues of the latest Daredevil or X-Men. Back on the train and home for dinner. Out of pocket maybe $15.
Yup, I'd ask my mom for $20. Usually had some money to give back to her.

I'm sure our cadre ran into your cadre, but we were snot-nosed 13 year olds in '86.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #1100
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember that there used to be a theatre in Chinatown. Or was there? Am I imagining things?

I swear that I saw a movie there once.

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time