Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2023, 03:37 PM   #10821
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I don't know if that's an extrovert/introvert thing as much as someone that lacks self awareness and empathy (being able to see how uncomfortable someone else might feel being subjected to that behaviour & disregard).

There are people who may start to do what you describe, but will catch themselves and apologize or cease whatever they are doing. To continue without realizing that they're neglecting the person they're with is just indicative of poor socialization and etiquette, even if they are extroverted by nature

Presence also plays into it. Many people have their energy and attention split in too many directions. I think it's really good practice to give your whole attention to whatever you're doing. Eating, reading, conversing with someone. If you're constantly giving things only half of your focus then the quality of everything you do and participate in will suffer.

I think some people just don't realize how bad they've gotten with these bad habits that have come with the smart phone era.
Yeah totally. One of em is my new buddy in my building, he's done it literally every time I've hung out with him. The ironic thing is he's a super nice guy, he's friends with basically half the building it feels like, everybody loves him. Super selfless guy.

It's usually his same buddy calling him when I'm hanging out with him, a friend who's an Uber driver who gets really bored, who he says lacks social cues (he knows he's with a buddy but calls anyway to chit chat). Think my friend feels bad for him so he always picks up. The irony of it all...best part is it's almost always on speaker phone. They were even bickering one time and it wouldn't end lol, so awkward.

If I was chilling with him all day I could see it, but its usually just for an hour or 2 to play some vids or watch the end of the game. C'mon, man..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 03:44 PM   #10822
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
There are people who take measures based on the conditions and advocate doing so, and there are people who think that their driving "skills" can compensate for the physics of their vehicle's performance (stopping distance, etc) being compromised by slick conditions.
I think good drivers combine both the awareness of what measures need to be taken for the conditions, and the skill to compensate for the change in their vehicle’s performance in those conditions.

If you’re just one or the other, you’re liable to be a hazard.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 03:56 PM   #10823
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
If the City:
1. actually kept playground zones and school zones separate instead of lazily making them all playground zones when a clerical error resulted in the wrong signs being ordered;
2. didn't make certain playground zones unnecessarily long because the rich assh-le residents complained (Elbow Drive, anyone?); and,
3. harmonized residential and playground speeds to a common 40 KM/H...

Then you'd probably get a lot more people willing to comply. But instead these things all get used as revenue generators thanks to liberally placing photo radar all over them. 30 KM/H is unnecessarily slow.

So I don't really feel bad about it. I don't get tickets, and I value my paint job as much if not more than your kids so I won't be hitting them anyway.
Maybe I'm just gullible, but did this actually happen?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 04:25 PM   #10824
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I just had to yell at a couple of manbabies blocking a narrow road because neither refused to move for the other. I’m running my ass off trying to get finished my work and they’re peacocking their toxic masculinity.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 05:50 PM   #10825
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
So far the “you can’t drive 50 in a 50 no matter how good you are! SAFETY FIRST!” posters are the same people who:
- Think all seasons are fine in winter
- Speed in playground zones

And somehow the other bad drivers are pretending it’s people who know how to drive that are the problem. A true classic.
Debasing and reframing counterpoints to suit your narrative while insinuating others can only hold the position you’ve determined they hold because they’re stupid.

True classic indeed.

Last edited by 81MC; 10-27-2023 at 05:52 PM.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 05:57 PM   #10826
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
One of those people are you. You make an excuse, but the reality is that you are just too damn lazy to change your speed. I wish you many school zone tickets.
I don’t quite get your first sentence in your post.

Lazy is a weird term for it as it takes no effort to slow down and speed up. It’s an active decision. I’ve gotten one playground zone ticket in 20 years. It was at 43 so wasn’t paying attention. I assume that they don’t give them out at 40 and below as I should have gotten them.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 05:58 PM   #10827
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
So far the “you can’t drive 50 in a 50 no matter how good you are! SAFETY FIRST!” posters are the same people who:
- Think all seasons are fine in winter
- Speed in playground zones

And somehow the other bad drivers are pretending it’s people who know how to drive that are the problem. A true classic.
Hey, some off us are on team winter tire.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 06:05 PM   #10828
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Debasing and reframing counterpoints to suit your narrative while insinuating others can only hold the position you’ve determined they hold because they’re stupid.

True classic indeed.
Oh sorry, I forgot to add a person to the list:
- hates driving, parking, other people parking and driving, his neighbours, his neighbours parking near him, his lawn, his sidewalk, his neighbours sidewalk, city transit, lack of city transit, his friends, his job, his neighbours friends, his friends neighbour’s job…

Yeah, no, I’m super shocked you’ve taken issue with this, too. Add me to the list ground gear daddy.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 06:06 PM   #10829
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Hey, some off us are on team winter tire.
Don’t worry, you’re cool even though you think I’m bad at science.
Old 10-27-2023, 06:41 PM   #10830
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Since we're on an English tangent, I did get a question from someone learning English on why "dull" and "cull" are pronounced differently than "bull" and "pull". I told her I have no idea, it just is ok!

English must be a bitch to learn as an adult. So many weird rules.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 06:48 PM   #10831
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Maybe I'm just gullible, but did this actually happen?
It was a long time ago and I cannot for the life of me find it now (probably could do with enough digging), but I recall someone on Reddit explaining that the actual reason for the change wasn't initially a conscious decision to switch all School Zones to Playground Zones, but something to do with administration making some screw-up in procurement and the City just deciding "well, we can just make them all Playground Zones then".
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 10:20 PM   #10832
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's remarkable how we've arrived as a society to the notion that anyone driving under the MAXIMUM speed limit anywhere at anytime is completely out of line, considered a danger to themselves and others, and just generally worse than Hitler.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 11:05 PM   #10833
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 10-27-2023 at 11:12 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:34 PM   #10834
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
1 at fault at 17 one not at fault.

I think not at fault accidents are important to note as well as the probability of being in an accident that is not your “fault” is improved by being a predicable driver who leaves space to get out of events.

Like if someone lane changes into you you aren’t at fault but you probably should have been able to avoid the accident.

Also I will drive 40 in residential streets and school zones because that’s how they should be designed. There is no evidence to show more incidents occur in school zones and it’s important that pedestrian collisions occur below 30 km/h
Wait, hold up. You've been in 18 accidents?

I'm middle-aged and I've been in 2 accidents (non-fault).

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:39 PM   #10835
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Wait, hold up. You've been in 18 accidents?

I'm middle-aged and I've been in 2 accidents (non-fault).
The sentence needed a comma.

Quote:
1 at fault at 17, one not at fault.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2023, 06:21 AM   #10836
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
You get gooder as time goes bye.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 06:24 AM   #10837
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Absolutely! I've been to England and even the adults, after their culture has had multiple generations to get the hang of it, still have no idea how to speak it.

'Allo Guvna!

"Pardon me?"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 06:33 AM   #10838
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Since we're on an English tangent, I did get a question from someone learning English on why "dull" and "cull" are pronounced differently than "bull" and "pull". I told her I have no idea, it just is ok!
Send her this:
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 07:37 AM   #10839
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't go to the liquor store often, but last I month I went, bought two bottles, including one of something I like and haven't had in a long time. Get out to the parking lot, put them in by back seat - and one falls out onto the pavement before I can catch, smashing. I curse, pick up the glass, and go home.

Yesterday, i decide to buy the same brand, becuase of course, i never actually had any. Put it on the floor of hte back of the car. To carry it upstairs, put it iin a grocery bag. Get upstairs, put the bag on the counter - and the bottle inside unbalances it, dropping it to the floor. Smash again.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2023, 07:39 AM   #10840
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It's remarkable how we've arrived as a society to the notion that anyone driving under the MAXIMUM speed limit anywhere at anytime is completely out of line, considered a danger to themselves and others, and just generally worse than Hitler.
We haven’t.

It’s just the peculiar demographics of CP aligns with the most aggressive demographic of drivers. Which - again - happens to also be the population that is most likely to be involved in serious auto collisions.

If CP members were mostly gun owners, it would an article of faith that guns make people safer and it’s people who don’t own guns who are putting themselves at risk. That’s the same mentality as the faster = better driver and slower = causes accidents delusion shared here. Both macho arguments completely unsupported by data.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: