Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #10381
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I think where the ROR rumor stems from is the fact that his end of season presser would indicate he's not happy being in Buffalo. This may force Buffalo's hand to trade him, doesn't mean he gets traded for sure however.

Brodie+Bennett would definitely get the ball rolling for ROR, why wouldn't it?
I was referring mostly to the Janko+Bennett proposals.

But sure, Brodie has value but personally, I don't see him being an attractive centepiece since he hasn't been very good the last couple of years. My guess is they would see him as an ok add but not what they would really covet though.

But in the case of Bennett... he has a lot more value to the Flames than to other teams. Sure, other teams would take a gamble on him in a buy low scenario but in that case it's just better to keep him. Why would any other team pay for his draft position and take a risk on him when none of that potential has realized?

I guess the bottom line is I can't see how these deals would be the best available for Buffalo. ROR is a #1C, maybe not top end but still and those are not only hard to get but expensive.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #10382
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think where the ROR rumor stems from is the fact that his end of season presser would indicate he's not happy being in Buffalo. This may force Buffalo's hand to trade him, doesn't mean he gets traded for sure however.

Brodie+Bennett would definitely get the ball rolling for ROR, why wouldn't it?
Because #3/4 d-man with big holes in his game + 3rd line winger who may or may not have big upside =/= #1/2 centre.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-19-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #10383
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Because #3/4 d-man with big holes in his game + 3rd line winger who may or may not have big upside =/= #1/2 centre.
Seth Jones got Ryan Johansen
Old 04-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #10384
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Any smart GM would look past the misuse by GG the last 2 years forcing Brodie to play his offside and see there's high potential for him to slot in the top 4 on their team. You cant ignore the fact that prior to GG, Brodie (yes while playing with Gio) looked like a cornerstone defenseman for Calgary for many years to come.

That skill/speed/smooth skating doesn't just vanish into thin air. Sure his stock has dropped I wont argue with you on that, but say a deal somewhere around Brodie + Bennett or Brodie + Jankowski SURELY gets Buffalo talking about trading for ROR.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #10385
Flamesfan2010
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
If I am the owner I fire KK, BB and BTfor getting me into this mess.

Replace KK with Lanny
Replace BB with Conroy
Replace BT with Tod Button (keep our capologist, Pascal?)
Going to hire Iggy as the HC too?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamesfan2010 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #10386
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
Columbus won that trade. I bet Seth Jones wins a Norris trophy sooner than later.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #10387
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Seth Jones is a top line dman who was 10th in defence scoring this year and 24 minutes a game

Brodie had 25 less points, 12 less goals, and was 26 worse in +/-

I'm not sure what your point was?
Old 04-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #10388
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
Seth Jones is a top line dman who was 10th in defence scoring this year and 24 minutes a game

Brodie had 25 less points, 12 less goals, and was 26 worse in +/-

I'm not sure what your point was?
at the time he was not this, potential to be, but not at the time of the trade. Just came off an 8 goal 27 point season.

I think this is a better gauge as to what you might get for Brodie (less) or Hamilton (more) in a trade. The Hall / Larsson is a garbage trade and should not be used for value comparison.

Brodie has 5 30+ point seasons in a row, cracked 40 points twice
Hamilton has 4 40+ points seasons in a row, hit 50 last year.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #10389
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I look at Jankowski I see Kopitar, Couturier, Scheifele. Big body center, quick, soft hands, great shot and intelligent on the ice. This guy is 23 and just played his rookie season, so same situation as Ferland for the discussion of trading.

Unless some team wants to seriously over pay for him, or until he is pushed out of a roster position by strong center depth, it does not make sense to trade Jankowski.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #10390
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
I hope that they trade Giordano this offseason while they can still get a good return.
Shaking my head

We nee more players with Gio's compete and leadership not less. Horrible idea.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #10391
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I know its been said, and I'm not saying I disagree but what exactly is your justification on this? I'm honestly curious.

Traditionally defenseman always cost more (as we know) but in this case Nylander is probably equal to the value of what Taylor Hall got straight across for Larson. He's a franchise winger for Toronto at this point one could argue.
EDM was dealing from a position of weakness because everybody knew they needed to deal a forward for a Dman so teams could lowball Chiarelli.

CGY is dealing from a position of strength. We don't have to deal Hamilton or Brodie. But if the right deal comes around we could. We aren't desperate. EDM was desperate.

Hamilton > Larsson. Nylander probably is somewhat close to Hall's value at the time. I agree that it would need to be Nylander+ for Hamilton before Treliving would entertain trading him.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 04-19-2018 at 02:28 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #10392
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
When I look at Jankowski I see Kopitar, Couturier, Scheifele. Big body center, quick, soft hands, great shot and intelligent on the ice. This guy is 23 and just played his rookie season, so same situation as Ferland for the discussion of trading.

Unless some team wants to seriously over pay for him, or until he is pushed out of a roster position by strong center depth, it does not make sense to trade Jankowski.
By the time Kopitar was 23 he had seasons of 61, 77, 66, and 81 points under his belt already.

Couturier has been a consistent 35-40 point shut down center in the NHL since he was 18 years old. Playing against other teams top lines to boot. This year he got elevated to play with Giroux and he is a Selke finalist with over 70 points.

By the time Scheifele was 23 he had seasons of 34 (in 63 games), 49, and 61 (in 71 games) points under his belt already.

It's simply not fair to Jankowski to compare him to players like this- it just creates unrealistic expectations. I agree that we shouldn't be trading Jankowski and that he already is and will continue to be a very useful player, but you can't evaluate him as a superstar in the making. The odds of that happening are slim to none.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #10393
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not too sure what getting at. Jones is a legitimate stud D. If he's not the best defense man in the league under the age of 25, he's certainly in the conversation.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #10394
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see why Toronto wants Hamilton. They need D men that can play D well. They already have 2 50+ point defenceman.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #10395
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I don't see why Toronto wants Hamilton. They need D men that can play D well. They already have 2 50+ point defenceman.
They need a right shot. Hamilton has elite metrics defensively the last 2 years. Is that due to Gio? I think yes butnisnthst what other teams think.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #10396
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really want to see what Jankowski can do with a year of NHL under his belt before thinking about dealing him. He's succeeded everywhere he's played so lets see how he develops, rather than decide based on a mediocre rookie season.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #10397
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Not too sure what getting at. Jones is a legitimate stud D. If he's not the best defense man in the league under the age of 25, he's certainly in the conversation.
Seth Jones at the time of the trade was not in this conversation
Old 04-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #10398
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Seth Jones had the potential to be a stud dman ever since being drafted. He was the highest rated dman in a long time. That potential did not disappear because he hadn't realized it yet. His value was high because his upside was massive. He's achieving that upside in CBJ. GM's and scouts draft and trade for upside. They look into the future and project how good a player will be when they are fully developed. Some fans seem only to be able to judge players for what they are at one exact moment in time. The Sam Bennett thread is a clear indicator of that. Jones was always projected as a stud #1 dman. That projection never went away. Its why NSH could trade him for a 30g young #1 centre with size.

And frankly there's still time for Bennett and Lazar to develop and achieve some of their original projections. I know that opinion isn't popular though. Bennett and Lazar to some are only what they've shown. Some don't see upside, some can't project young players developing and getting better.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 04-19-2018 at 03:01 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #10399
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Seth Jones had the potential to be a stud dman ever since being drafted. He was the highest rated dman in a long time. That potential did not disappear because he hadn't realized it yet. His value was high because his upside was massive. He's achieving that upside in CBJ. GM's and scouts draft and trade for upside. They look into the future and project how good a player will be when they are fully developed. Some fans seem only to be able to judge players for what they are at one exact moment in time. The Sam Bennett thread is a clear indicator of that. Jones was always projected as a stud #1 dman. That projection never went away. Its why NSH could trade him for a 30g young #1 centre with size.

And frankly there's still time for Bennett and Lazar to develop and achieve some of their original projections. I know that opinion isn't popular though. Bennett and Lazar to some are only what they've shown. Some don't see upside, some can't project young players developing and getting better.
very true as well
Old 04-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #10400
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
True, but Jones was always a highly rated prospect. Of course highly rated prospects don't always turn out as any Flames fan would know, but Jones was almost certainly going to be a top pairing D. The question was 'is he going to be top pairing good or norris trophy good?'

He is/will be Norris trophy good.

That trade will workout for both teams, but straight up player for player all things considered, I would take Jones over Johansen
Closed Thread