Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #10181
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heck, if I'm Ottawa, I might ask for Ehlers as part of a deal for a signed Stone. Decent contract, 23 years old.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #10182
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Ehlers is still out though, which leaves them with not much (after Wheeler) down the right side. And his return was just pushed back. He's 1-3 weeks away at last report.
Ehlers plays on the left side, doesn't he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Heck, if I'm Ottawa, I might ask for Ehlers as part of a deal for a signed Stone. Decent contract, 23 years old.
Winnipeg would never do this. They won't subtract from their roster in that fashion as they push for a Championship.

There seems to be a lot of writing on the wall for a Winnipeg/Ottawa connection. I really would have thought that it would be centered around Duchene though, not so much Stone. Their centre depth is not very good - and they know it, as last year they acquired and then looked to sign Stastny before Vegas grabbed him.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-15-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #10183
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Maybe - I forget. But so does Laine and Connor. Their current second line RW is Roslovic. I suppose if they get a 2C they move Little to RW.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #10184
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Winnipeg would never do this. They won't subtract from their roster in that fashion as they push for a Championship.

There seems to be a lot of writing on the wall for a Winnipeg/Ottawa connection. I really would have thought that it would be centered around Duchene though, not so much Stone. Their centre depth is not very good - and they know it, as last year they acquired and then looked to sign Stastny before Vegas grabbed him.
If Ehlers is out much longer he's not going to be much of a factor though - maybe are thinking of shutting him down.

BTW, I think their C depth is better than RW. Scheifele, Little, Lowry, Copp is better than Wheeler, Roslovic, Tanev, Appleton.

Stone is from Winnipeg FWIW.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #10185
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Means very little but Eklund has Stone to WPG at E4
Old 02-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #10186
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
He probably guessed wrong and it's Duchene.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #10187
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely tons of smoke around the Jets and Sens right now.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #10188
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Say, does anyone remember that one year where SN brought Eklund in to break rumours on TV for their trade deadline coverage?

Good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #10189
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Say, does anyone remember that one year where SN brought Eklund in to break rumours on TV for their trade deadline coverage?

Good times.
Wait really? That's nuts lol
Old 02-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #10190
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
It was years ago, and back when he was still blogging anonymously, so they had him perched in a darkened booth with his computer, and silhouetted so that you could not identify him.

It was so terrible that it only happened the one time, but I remember it vividly for how badly he stammered through a pile of rumours which all proved to be completely wrong.

He also had a hilarious feud with PJ Stock back then as well, and Stock completely humiliated him on the air with his own bull####.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-15-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #10191
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
I think he was in the back hidden in shadows too, hahahah.

Amateur hour.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #10192
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It was years ago, and back when he was still blogging anonymously, so they had him perched in a darkened booth with his computer, and silhouetted so that you could not identify him.

It was so terrible that it only happened the one time, but I remember it vividly for how badly he stammered through a pile of rumours which all proved to be completely wrong.

He also had a hilarious feud with PJ Stock back then as well, and Stock completely humiliated him with his own bull####.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I think he was in the back hidden in shadows too, hahahah.

Amateur hour.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #10193
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

You know you suck when PJ Stock beats you in a battle of wits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #10194
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Peg gets Stone then so be it but hopefully BT has helped drive the price up. Dorion is a moron so I have no faith in his ability to get a high return. It is early yet in the process, I would be asking for Connor+
Old 02-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #10195
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
According to TSN Edmonton Bureau Reporter Ryan Rishaug, the Oilers are "open to trading" winger Jesse Puljujarvi, but only if a proper return can be found.

Rishaug reports the Oilers spoke with Puljujarvi's agent on Friday and the team is considering sending the 20-year-old to the AHL to help boost his confidence. Rishaug adds that the return for Puljujarvi would have to be quite high, since the Oilers still believe in the 2016 fourth-overall pick.

https://www.tsn.ca/rishaug-oilers-op...arvi-1.1258284
Old 02-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #10196
chockfullofgoodness
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

He also had a hilarious feud with PJ Stock back then as well, and Stock completely humiliated him on the air with his own bull####.
Jim Rome also had him on around that same time. Utter craziness.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #10197
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Sure - they're beatable - any team is. But the chances of anyone beating them this year is thin. Tampa is trending to be the eleventh best regular season team in the last 68 seasons.

I'm not saying the flames fold it up, but this isn't the season to go all in. In a more normal year, where the flames are a top 6 team and the field is closer, I'd say go for it. But this isn't a normal year.

Most dominant regular season NHL teams since 1950:

1 Montreal (1976-77) - 60-8-12 - Won Stanley Cup
2 Chicago (2012-13) - 34-6-5 - Won Stanley Cup
3 Montreal (1977-79) - 59-10-11 - Won Stanley Cup
4 Detroit (1995-96) - 62-13-7 - Lost to Avs in WCF
5 Montreal (1975-76) - 58-11-11 - Won Stanley Cup
6 Boston (1970-71) - 57-14-7 - Lost in round 1 (Hot Goalie - Ken Dryden)
7 Montreal (1972-73) 52-10-16 - Won Stanley Cup
8 Detroit (2005-06) - 58-16-8 - Lost in round 1 (Oilers)
9 Edmonton (1983-84) 57-18-5 - Won Stanley Cup
10 Edmonton (1985-86) 56-17-7 - Lost to Calgary
11 Tampa (2018-19) 55-16-11

Whats really interesting about this, is that of the four teams that didn't win the cup - three lost to a hated rival, suggesting that emotion was the factor pushing them over the top.

Montreal beat Boston
Avs beat Detroit
Calgary beat Edmonton

Does anyone hate tampa?
Several of those teams were back when the playoffs were shorter, and there was huge discrepancies between the good and bad teams.

From the last 25 years, there are 3 teams on that list, and 2 of them didn't win the cup.

You are massively over-rating TB's likelihood of winning the Cup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #10198
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Several of those teams were back when the playoffs were shorter, and there was huge discrepancies between the good and bad teams.

From the last 25 years, there are 3 teams on that list, and 2 of them didn't win the cup.

You are massively over-rating TB's likelihood of winning the Cup.
2 of them if im remembering things correctly. 74 i think they went to 4 rounds.

Regardless this is the best regular season team in many years IMO and by all means should be heavy favorites to win it all.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #10199
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tampa is an amazing team this season - one of the most amazing teams in recent memory. If you had to pick a single team to win the cup, Tampa is the team you put money on.

With that being said, anything can happen. What happens if a few of their stars - Kucherov, Hedman, Vasilevskiy, Stamkos - get injured in this stretch drive? What happens if Vasilevskiy loses his confidence from now until the finals? There are also 4 gruelling rounds of playoffs, and it can very much be a war or attrition. If Calgary - or whoemever else makes the western finals - it just may come down to who the healthier team is. Heck, Calgary lost that war of attrition against Tampa in '04 when they had nothing left in the gas tank in game 7, and were running on fumes in game 6.

Yeah, I would put money on Tampa if you made me pick a team - they are the favourites by far. You still play it out because anything can happen, especially during a very difficult and very physical 4 rounds of NHL playoffs where huge upsets often happen.

Flames should be looking to get better with any acquisitions they make (and hopefully with a long-term vision in mind). You don't hesitate to make a move just because "Tampa is going to win it this year". No, you do your best to become a better team, period, at any time. I trust Treliving that he would only spend 'big' assets on players who can help this team for a few runs at least, and not just load up for a single run. I would't want him to do that even if Calgary was doing as well as Tampa, unless they found themselves with some serious injuries and a bunch of contracts that came up and forced them to do a mini-rebuild - that's the only time a team should really 'load up', IMO. Otherwise, you make smart moves and fill holes wherever you see them in the line-up, and then you add depth.

Tampa doesn't scare me at the moment, and it really is because anything can happen.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #10200
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
2 of them if im remembering things correctly. 74 i think they went to 4 rounds.

Regardless this is the best regular season team in many years IMO and by all means should be heavy favorites to win it all.
But even with that, round 1 was 3 out of 5 for many years
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread