Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2023, 09:54 PM   #10121
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
doesnt appear that latinx is any more foisted on anyone anymore than hispanic or latino or latina, it may or may not catch on, none of the terms are older than me though
I really don't think it will catch on anyway, particularly if Hispanics aren't especially sold it on anyway.

It's just kind of a stupid, pointless word. It's the sort of thing that -- every time you read it -- you kind of roll your eyes and move on.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:19 AM   #10122
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I really don't think it will catch on anyway, particularly if Hispanics aren't especially sold it on anyway.

It's just kind of a stupid, pointless word. It's the sort of thing that -- every time you read it -- you kind of roll your eyes and move on.
Its one of those no effort things people can do online to signal how they want to be viewed. That said - the amount it is actually used vs the amount of time its discussed to be stupid is probably like 60-40 - so just an all around pointless topic.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:49 AM   #10123
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

The state of right-wing politics in 2023 everyone

https://twitter.com/user/status/1653279549642399749

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:01 PM   #10124
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do you even say Latinx?

Latinks? Latinex?

What a useless hill to die on.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:14 PM   #10125
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
How do you even say Latinx?

Latinks? Latinex?

What a useless hill to die on.
I believe it's pronounced latinks.

Also, i don't see anyone dying on this hill except for the Republicans trying to ban it.

It certainly had a day in the spotlight until most hispanics in the US said they don't like it, so it was quickly relegated to the dustbin of most universities
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:22 PM   #10126
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren't "Challenges Woke Ideas" and "Makes Liberals Angry" the exact same thing?
Old 05-02-2023, 01:54 PM   #10127
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ol-satan-club/

Federal judge rules Pennsylvania school district must allow After School Satan Club
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 02:07 PM   #10128
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's good for the goose...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:24 PM   #10129
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Aren't "Challenges Woke Ideas" and "Makes Liberals Angry" the exact same thing?
I don’t think so. Making liberals angry is about being an open bigot and taking away rights. Challenging work ideas is about being a snowflake and getting uncomfortable because the Girl they want to objectify at a track meet might have a penis.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 06:57 PM   #10130
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t think so. Making liberals angry is about being an open bigot and taking away rights. Challenging work ideas is about being a snowflake and getting uncomfortable because the Girl they want to objectify at a track meet might have a penis.
Are you saying conservatives are upset with trans women competing in women's sports because they don't want to get turned on by a trans person? I don't think that's the case. They believe trans women should not be allowed to compete in women's sports leagues because they have an unfair biological advantage. You are free to disagree with that, but it's not an unreasonable take.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 08:57 PM   #10131
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Are you saying conservatives are upset with trans women competing in women's sports because they don't want to get turned on by a trans person? I don't think that's the case. They believe trans women should not be allowed to compete in women's sports leagues because they have an unfair biological advantage. You are free to disagree with that, but it's not an unreasonable take.
That’s the stated reason. But that doesn’t make sense when conservatives in general donT like title 9 and have never cared about the sanctity of womens sports before.

So why do they care now?
Old 05-02-2023, 09:29 PM   #10132
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That’s the stated reason. But that doesn’t make sense when conservatives in general donT like title 9 and have never cared about the sanctity of womens sports before.

So why do they care now?
Well they don't care about the sanctity of women's sports at all. They just don't like trans people. Most of their perspective is pretty ignorant, but they're not wrong that trans women should not be permitted to play sports against cis women. And since it's pretty hard to dispute that, they beat that drum all the time to undermine trans rights more broadly.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 10:28 PM   #10133
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well they don't care about the sanctity of women's sports at all. They just don't like trans people. Most of their perspective is pretty ignorant, but they're not wrong that trans women should not be permitted to play sports against cis women. And since it's pretty hard to dispute that, they beat that drum all the time to undermine trans rights more broadly.
Yes they are. It's a stupid idea born out of ignorance and hatred.
Itse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:29 PM   #10134
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The Tucker Carlson Text That Got Him Fired From Fox : ‘I Found Myself Rooting For the Mob’

Quote:
A bombshell text sent by ex-Fox News star Tucker Carlson, published by The New York Times on Tuesday, finally reveals the beginning of the chain of events that led to him being fired the right-wing network last month.

The text, written the day after the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol, was filled with racist vitriol, violent language and introspection over his own lack of morality, with the host confessing to a desire to support those who “surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living s— out of him.”
Quote:
The text was written to one of his producers, and was part of what was surfaced during discovery in the Dominion Voting Systems lawsuit against Fox News.

Here was one of the most disturbing texts that led the Fox board to hire an outside law firm to conduct an investigation, according to the Times.

“A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington. A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living #### out of him. It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it. Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn’t good for me. I’m becoming something I don’t want to be. The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I’m sure I’d hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn’t gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don’t care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?”
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/tucker-car...040237314.html
Old 05-02-2023, 10:38 PM   #10135
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes they are. It's a stupid idea born out of ignorance.

It just completely ignores the reality that trans women have already been competing and it has proven to be not a problem. Even in weightlifting.

It also ignores the reality that in extremely popular women's sports like figure skating and gymnastics, having a more male body would just be a disadvantage.

People just don't know what they're talking about, and they know it, but they don't care because it's a socially acceptable form of mild transphobia.

But that's just all there is to it. People are weirded out by the idea, and don't actually care enough to find out what the reality is, and then they rationalize to themselves that this particular transphobic position somehow isn't about ignorance and transphobia, even though it's pushed by extremely transphobic people. No, somehow this one is a "rational and reasonable" position. Even though it's not a position anyone actually thought their way into.

It's just people feeling weird about things they don't understand, and then using vague feelings of discomfort as a justification for policy.

Last edited by Itse; 05-03-2023 at 01:00 AM.
Itse is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 10:45 PM   #10136
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Word-for-word the text conversation I just had with my Latina wife:

Me: The hockey forum is engaged in a debate in one of the off-topic threads about the use of the term "Latinx"

Her: Haha, Yeah? Not a very new topic.

Me: Yeah, I decided not to engage in an argument with a bunch of white dudes over somethingt that doesn't impact or apply to us.

Her: I wonder if it's ever been on hackernews. ... It has!

Me: I've never heard of hackernews.

Her: It's a forum that's kinda techy, mostly of interest to tech folks. I'm sure 90% of the people there are white dudes.

Me: White dudes LOVE to have strong opinions about stuff that does not apply to or impact us. ******* LOVE IT. ... Ask us about trans women in sports, omg.

And then I pop back into the thread ...

"By Gawd! That's SLIVER'S MUSIC!!"
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 10:52 PM   #10137
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Was that written by bc-chris
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 10:52 PM   #10138
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

ok
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 11:00 PM   #10139
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
The Tucker Carlson Text That Got Him Fired From Fox : ‘I Found Myself Rooting For the Mob’

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/tucker-car...040237314.html
Did he get fired for the comments about wanting to see the kid die, or the introspection about possibly having a shred of human decency left?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 11:14 PM   #10140
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not going to argue the .000001% case of elite athletes because it’s a wedge and when people engage in that debate in only helps the bigots.

However the reason behind transphobia is quite simply homophobia. They don’t want the women they objectify to have penises whether it’s watching sports, at the mall, at the bar. It rooted in an underlying fear of being gay.