Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #981
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Having differing opinions is great.......unless it promotes intolerance, racism, bigotry, etc. I don't have time for that. Tucker is Tucker, we know who he is. Hearing Bobby Orr is a big fan just makes me think less of the man, that's all. So yeah, for me it is kinda sad that a guy I've looked up to for so long is a fan of someone who promotes things I find really terrible.
So you’re letting your esteem for Bobby Orr be affected by what exactly? Something he said or wrote?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:40 PM   #982
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So you’re letting your esteem for Bobby Orr be affected by what exactly? Something he said or wrote?
It's really not that complicated. His esteem for Bobby Orr would be lessened if Orr is a fan of Tucker Carlson. As would mine.

I would take it with a grain of salt though since it's coming from one of Cherry's incoherent rants.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #983
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
So Bobby Orr is apparently a big Tucker fan too. That's sad.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1194448649079549952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It’s absolutely sad when people you respect let you down with poor choices and being on the wrong side of history / morality.

Unless of course Orr is just a fan because of what a nitwit TC is.
Maybe Wyshynski means that Bobby Orr is a hug TextCritic fan? You can't blame him for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #984
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Tucker Carlson's expression suggests he did not have the foggiest clue who Bobby Orr is.

(Granted a continuous look of befuddlement is Carlson's trademark).
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #985
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

This situation sucks. I idolized Cherry growing up and watched Coach's Corner every week. I loved the way he talked, I loved the music, I loved that dog, and I always took his hockey advice.

As I grew older things changed. His views on hockey became less relevant, his views on European players were destroyed by Lidstrom and Malkin, and his Canadian patriotism drifted towards xenophobia. I still respected the man as an important piece of Canadiana but found my self watching him and agreeing with him less and less.

Now instead of having a legacy as one of the great Canadian icons Don will forever be a martyr for the I want free speech to spread hate crowd. Nice.

I am annoyed at Don for being so stubborn he couldn't issue a simply clarification or apology, I am annoyed at the CBC and Sportsnet for keeping this ticking time bomb on the air for years past his best before date, and I am annoyed at the Sun/Post media for stoking division and reopening wounds from the election by framing this as a PC/cancel culture/CBC/Trudeau issue instead of a business making a business decision. This sucks.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:17 PM   #986
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 10:34 PM   #987
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
It's really not that complicated. His esteem for Bobby Orr would be lessened if Orr is a fan of Tucker Carlson. As would mine.

I would take it with a grain of salt though since it's coming from one of Cherry's incoherent rants.
Well that’s the point I was trying to make. It would be a real shame if people started judging Bobby Orr because of something Cherry said.

If knowing an athletes political views are important to how you view them, I think you owe it to yourself to try and find them out for yourself as much as possible. Orr is private. Whatever he may believe, it seems he’s not interested in using his status as a platform.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #988
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
This situation sucks. I idolized Cherry growing up and watched Coach's Corner every week. I loved the way he talked, I loved the music, I loved that dog, and I always took his hockey advice.

As I grew older things changed. His views on hockey became less relevant, his views on European players were destroyed by Lidstrom and Malkin, and his Canadian patriotism drifted towards xenophobia. I still respected the man as an important piece of Canadiana but found my self watching him and agreeing with him less and less.

Now instead of having a legacy as one of the great Canadian icons Don will forever be a martyr for the I want free speech to spread hate crowd. Nice.

I am annoyed at Don for being so stubborn he couldn't issue a simply clarification or apology, I am annoyed at the CBC and Sportsnet for keeping this ticking time bomb on the air for years past his best before date, and I am annoyed at the Sun/Post media for stoking division and reopening wounds from the election by framing this as a PC/cancel culture/CBC/Trudeau issue instead of a business making a business decision. This sucks.
Well said. I wish this hadn’t happened and maybe hope some good comes of it. It’s still within Cherry’s power to make a profound admission, especially knowing his job status won’t change.

I could imagine a very powerful statement about fear, aging, intolerance that only someone like Cherry could make. But alas it’s unlikely.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:42 PM   #989
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’m impressed Cherry is not dodging interviews and questions. Even has some self reflection on the issue in his answers.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #990
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I’m impressed Cherry is not dodging interviews and questions. Even has some self reflection on the issue in his answers.
I'm less impressed with his 'throw Mclean under the bus' act.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:28 PM   #991
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just saw this video and I genuinely feel offended. Jess Allen basically called all hockey players young white bullies and that we choose to spend our weekends in the arenas instead of learning about the world.

I feel like she did the same thing that Don Cherry did.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #992
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trying to convince people he’s not a bigot. Goes on with Tucker Carlson, the biggest bigot on Fox News Channel. Stupid.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:31 PM   #993
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
What on earth are you even going on about?
Ask the multiple people that thanked my post...Its pretty clear though you may not agree which is fine
Old 11-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #994
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post

I just saw this video and I genuinely feel offended. Jess Allen basically called all hockey players young white bullies and that we choose to spend our weekends in the arenas instead of learning about the world.

Yikes. That woman is totally unhinged. Why did I watch that?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 11:41 PM   #995
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lol, first there's the people who think Cherry did nothing wrong, and right on queue you will get some other idiots now who will use this opportunity to push their nonsense about the "white male patriarchy" as well. The hockey community is largely people that have spoken out against Cherry's comments (see comments from most NHL personnel like Peters and Monahan), and if she thinks hockey players/fans were all white boys and bullies she just didn't hang out with many people. No idea who this person is but she's talking nonsense that just brings another layer of stupidity to this whole thing. She is quite literally generalizing about people, which is exactly what sparked all of this in the first place.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 11-12-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 11:42 PM   #996
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

It's far worse. She brought skin colour into the conversation.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:42 PM   #997
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well that’s the point I was trying to make. It would be a real shame if people started judging Bobby Orr because of something Cherry said.

If knowing an athletes political views are important to how you view them, I think you owe it to yourself to try and find them out for yourself as much as possible. Orr is private. Whatever he may believe, it seems he’s not interested in using his status as a platform.
It’s not black and white. If I find out Gio is a member of the KKK, yeah, it affects how I think about him. If I find out that Monahan voted NDP, not so much. And there’s a lot of space in between. Being a “big fan” of Carlson isn’t a positive for me, though there’s more than a small chance Cherry was just blowing smoke and name dropping the biggest hockey name he knows.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 11:50 PM   #998
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read the warning but watched it anyway. Man the airwaves are jam packed with crap.

I wonder if she knows that girls’ hockey is a pretty big thing these days.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 11-12-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 12:06 AM   #999
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Lol, first there's the people who think Cherry did nothing wrong, and right on queue you will get some other idiots now who will use this opportunity to push their nonsense about the "white male patriarchy" as well. The hockey community is largely people that have spoken out against Cherry's comments (see comments from most NHL personnel like Peters and Monahan), and if she thinks hockey players/fans were all white boys and bullies she just didn't hang out with many people. No idea who this person is but she's talking nonsense that just brings another layer of stupidity to this whole thing. She is quite literally generalizing about people, which is exactly what sparked all of this in the first place.
You do realize that the hockey community gives its members guidance on the company line so that it can be toed appropriately.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:40 AM   #1000
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^ exactly. And peters and Monahan are hardly speakers for the community. Lets hear from Gretzky Orr Etc. Except they know better, and won’t pile on cherry.

Hearing the Quebec premier talk about how he can now watch HNIC again..... total political garbage and that is now where this discussion is at.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote