Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2021, 11:20 PM   #81
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
True.

It is probably hard to scout. There is no systematic method to their game. They just kind of ...do stuff, then wait for McDavid to pick someone's pocket in the neutral zone or throw himself on the ice for a penalty.

Really playing some 4D chess on the opposing video coaches. Gotta give it to them.
The Penguins' game was a picturesque example of the Oilers' system actually.

(1) Post a winger on the defensive blueline.

Pack it in the slot with the other four guys until the opponent shoots, hope the goalie makes a save or someone gets a block, and then fire a stretch pass to the cherry-pickin' Hyman at the red line while McDavid darts the middle and exploits his otherworldly stamina on tired offensive players.

Basically a system that... only works if you have Connor McDavid. Anyways, either the Oilers score, or they get an offensive zone faceoff

(2) Have Draisaitl take an offensive zone faceoff, and then otherwise post RNH as the F3 and the centre defensively, while Draisaitl shifts over to RW and ~F2. Either that line scores, or momentum goes the other way

(3) Have 3C take a defensive zone draw, and pray that Koskinen can go full Hasek for the shift

(4) Have 4C take a defensive zone draw, and pray that Koskinen can go full Hasek for the shift

(5) Return to (1)

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2021, 11:27 PM   #82
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1467734216670519300

Interesting timing. Clearly saw first-hand who the best Swedish goalie in the world is.
Cant really blame the guy, I dont know if there are specific health reasons or just the Pandemic in general.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:35 PM   #83
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The overall game was a woof, but somewhat comforting that even after the inevitable poor performance, they were still close to pulling it off.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:35 PM   #84
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That's a bar down there, I'm assuming?
It's the platinum level of strip clubs in the world. The best at every thing. Talent,bar service , booze selection etc. I've never been to Vegas but I have heard stories.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:36 PM   #85
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPepman View Post
0-7-0 in Vegas man. I hate having to live with that for a few more months or worse, years.

Makes us wonder, how will this curse end, bring Jobu?
Jobu worked in Anaheim.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2021, 11:40 PM   #86
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Macfarlane View Post
Lehner wins the battle but will Markstrom win the war for Sweden starter at the Olympics?

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...olympic-games/
Odd to try to direct traffic to your site and off here considering 2 pages earlier it was already posted that Leggner himself told media he wouldn't accept due to health reasons . "Health" reasons he obviously means he couldn't due it mentally.

I don't know how Vegas is going to depend on him if they make the Playoffs. I know mental health reasons is a legit concern but If he can't handle a event that could be once in a life time how could he be counted on in the Finals if you make it.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:42 PM   #87
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Odd to try to direct traffic to your site and off here considering 2 pages earlier it was already posted that Leggner himself told media he wouldn't accept due to health reasons . "Health" reasons he obviously means he couldn't due it mentally.

I don't know how Vegas is going to depend on him if they make the Playoffs. I know mental health reasons is a legit concern but If he can't handle a event that could be once in a life time how could he be counted on in the Finals if you make it.
Because I think in China it will be in a bubble? Just speculating but I don't think Lehner likes the bubble idea for his mental health.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:45 PM   #88
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Knights just showed me how much more growth this Flames team still has ahead of them. Vegas outclassed the Flames pretty much the entire game. They absolutely owned the neutral zone and their bottom 6 ran circles around the team. Now that's a 3rd and 4th line you can be proud of. What a job by their management group to build a roster with so much depth and a strong identity.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:53 PM   #89
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
The Knights just showed me how much more growth this Flames team still has ahead of them. Vegas outclassed the Flames pretty much the entire game. They absolutely owned the neutral zone and their bottom 6 ran circles around the team. Now that's a 3rd and 4th line you can be proud of. What a job by their management group to build a roster with so much depth and a strong identity.

Flames have allowed 30 5 on 5 GA in 25 games...Vegas has allowed 55.

Any stat you wanna look at Flames are much better than the Knights.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:56 PM   #90
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post

Tonight is basically the first time Vegas has had their whole roster healthy. Pietrangelo also had a rough start along with Lehner too.

I expect Vegas' stats to be pretty similar to Calgary's stats for the final three quarters of the season, based on their stats in the past couple of seasons.

And all that is ignoring Jack Eichel.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:01 AM   #91
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Tonight is basically the first time Vegas has had their whole roster healthy. Pietrangelo also had a rough start along with Lehner too.

I expect Vegas' stats to be pretty similar to Calgary's stats for the final three quarters of the season, based on their stats in the past couple of seasons.

Their roster won't be the same. They have to clear a lot of money before Eichel comes back. And no way they Kucherov him. He's already skating and a long way to go to do that. And even if they do would love facing a rusty Eichel in round 1.

I thought they looked pretty average tonight and Flames made them look good by not showing up.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:09 AM   #92
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

The Knights have had serious injuries all season long. The Sportsnet graphic tonight showed the before and after powerplay numbers once Pacioretty got back into the line up and it was night and day. William Karlsson missed a month and is now back. Alex Tuch's been gone all season, but he's since been traded for Jack Eichel who's already skating.

Also, I don't know if Vegas is suffering from some kind of Stanley Cup playoff hangover where they don't try as hard until the playoffs, but what I saw from them today scares me. They're still as good as any top team in the league would be a nightmare match up in the playoffs.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:12 AM   #93
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Their roster won't be the same. They have to clear a lot of money before Eichel comes back. And no way they Kucherov him. He's already skating and a long way to go to do that. And even if they do would love facing a rusty Eichel in round 1.

I thought they looked pretty average tonight and Flames made them look good by not showing up.
How do you know it was the Flames not showing up vs what Vegas did to the Flames? They're a significantly faster team and naturally, the Flames look sluggish against them. They've absolutely owned the Flames since day 1 of their inauguration. Is this really a team you want to face?
Old 12-06-2021, 12:28 AM   #94
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
How do you know it was the Flames not showing up vs what Vegas did to the Flames? They're a significantly faster team and naturally, the Flames look sluggish against them. They've absolutely owned the Flames since day 1 of their inauguration. Is this really a team you want to face?
Flames were doing to them what they've done to other teams in the final handful of minutes.

Flames came with no urgency or intensity until some time in the third after pacioretty and stone set some guys off. Then they had their heads in it.

Vegas deserves some credit, but I think giving them all the credit for the result is misleading.

It wasn't a 60 minute game from the Flames. Not even a 20 minute game.

You really think that was the Flames at 100 just being stifled?

They were hardly skating coming through the neutral zone early. That wasn't like them.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 12:33 AM   #95
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Cant really blame the guy, I dont know if there are specific health reasons or just the Pandemic in general.
It's Lehner. It's always mental health reasons.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:43 AM   #96
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Flames were doing to them what they've done to other teams in the final handful of minutes.

Flames came with no urgency or intensity until some time in the third after pacioretty and stone set some guys off. Then they had their heads in it.

Vegas deserves some credit, but I think giving them all the credit for the result is misleading.

It wasn't a 60 minute game from the Flames. Not even a 20 minute game.

You really think that was the Flames at 100 just being stifled?

They were hardly skating coming through the neutral zone early. That wasn't like them.
When the game was in the balance, the Flames were completely outclassed. The Knights checked them to death in all 3 zones. They couldn't string plays together, couldn't generate shots, let alone any decent chances. The only reason the Flames started to make headway was when the Knights sat back, not unusual for a team down late in the third.

Maybe I am showing too much respect to the Knights. But I still think they're the class of the division and their performance tonight along with their dominance against the Flames in the past leads me to believe this was no fluke.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 12:45 AM   #97
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
It's Lehner. It's always mental health reasons.
I actually really dont mind either way.

I'm not going to rag on anyone for skipping the Olympics. I'd prefer every Flame do the same.

If the Olympics were in Stockholm or something during the 'Before Times' my attitude would be different.

But if he thinks its going to mess with his mental health on top of being in China and during a pandemic? Theres a laundry list of reasons not to go.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 01:57 AM   #98
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

speaking of ignoring you keep ignoring the fact they need to drop 10M in salary before he plays
Old 12-06-2021, 02:04 AM   #99
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
When the game was in the balance, the Flames were completely outclassed. The Knights checked them to death in all 3 zones. They couldn't string plays together, couldn't generate shots, let alone any decent chances.
They were, but the Flames also weren't skating, and were fumbling the puck all over. In the third they sharpened up and stopped doing that, and suddenly they had sustained zone time in Vegas' end.

That's no fluke.

You saw Vegas sit back. I saw the Flames take it to them.

The answer probably lies somewhere in the middle. But I think you're definitely skewing a little on the side of Vegas due to history.

Flames play differently this year than years past. However, they didn't play they way they have 22 or 23 of their games this year in those opening 40 minutes.

Rick Ball thought they looks fatigued/out of it. I agree with his assessment.

Regardless, bad game for the Flames and a narrow 3-2 outcome in Vegas, a crossbar from OT? If all things are actually equal, looks like the Flames have taken a step in Vegas' direction at least. They were routinely blown out in that building before.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-06-2021 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:16 AM   #100
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

On a positive note:

Mangiapane has 17 goals in 25 games. Holy #### bananas.

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good