Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2024, 09:59 PM   #941
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Not everyone. There were lots of people posting trades where bluechip prospects or young performing roster players were being moved in trade. So those expectations were not met in any way. We didn't see a Wallinder or Lekkerimaki dealt our way.

Argue away. He was drafted in the third round for a reason. He's a smallish defenseman who is pass first. Not a great shot, but an incredible passer. A player that not many on the board had heard of before the trade and a guy that didn't even make the Canucks top 15 prospects in their prospect review by The Hockey Writers for a weak Vancouver prospect pool. Still lots to prove for this kid, even with posting gaudy numbers in the OHL. Has a particular skillset the team needs but has a long path to the NHL. Still see him as a "B" level prospect, even with the scoring exploits, and that's okay. "B" level prospects can surprise and turn into core players if things go right.
Honeslty it will be interesting to see what happens after another season between Brz and Willander.

Not that different in size. Both RH shot dmen.

But I'd argue that Brzustewicz play and production in their Draft+1 has been way more impressive than Willander.

Prospects are hard to read and it's a small sample size in their draft+1 so far but will be interesting to see how each guy is looked at once we have another season of play to look at.

Because to me Willander has been somewhat disappointing for a top 12 pick in the NCAA and Brz has impressed.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:00 PM   #942
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Dude, give it a rest.
Dudette…don’t get her started on that too/
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:02 PM   #943
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Canucks continue to collect Elias’. They might not win the Stanley Cup but they are winning the Elias Cup.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:03 PM   #944
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Good chance Markstrom lands you that Iggy Jr. pick.

I think they should do it.

Should also swing for a conditional 2nd that becomes a 1st for Tanev like they did with Russell who was a comparable shot-blocking 2nd pairing guy. Could see Dallas being the team again too.
To me because Calgary is a tough(ish) place to land UFAs or retain free agents without overpaying, the strategy must be build through the draft. Especially the way the cap works. And the best way to do that is to load up on picks and rely on your scouting.

The Flames should have way more faith in their amateur scouting than they’ve strategically leveraged organizationally up to this point. Like, Wranglers are one of the best teams. All the kids coming in can compete, or seem to be able to. Lots of our picks have turned out well, or seem to. I don’t remember the Flames of the 90s or early 00’s having the best draft pick luck, but over the last 5-6 years it’s gotten way better. So, build this team through the draft and leverage our assets today to load up on as many picks as possible. You will find the next star player or players this way.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:03 PM   #945
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Overall I think this looks like a rare win/win. Odd that we've traded with Vancouver twice this season, but it is what it is. Kuz is going to be a boom/bust type guy it seems, that one OHL dman seems to be the meat and the 1st is the potatoes. Everything else is making salaries/contracts work IMO.

I think its a great trade for both teams based on our timelines. Can't wait for a 2nd and Podkolzin for Tanev.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simonsays For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:05 PM   #946
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not saying the two have anything in common at all but Adam Fox was also a 3rd round pick that put up points and now he's in the Norris conversation every year.

I don't think it's far fetched to believe that Brzustewicz will become an impactful dman one day and potentially on the top pair with a 3-4 being his likely floor.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:05 PM   #947
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Find a different thread. Or better yet start your own thread “is kuzmenko and his anti ghey stance is worse than dube? Is this more important to discuss than the measly hockey team?”

Then you can go converse with your brethren and us fans of the hockey team can discuss a trade here
Done
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:06 PM   #948
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
A 1st round pick, two solid defensemen prospects, and a 4th that can become a 3rd this year.

Plus a roster player cap dump one year removed from a 39 goal season.

Who can still be traded for more assets.

That’s a great return.
no kidding.. people are acting like this is 21-22 Lindholm with multiple years left on his contract.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:07 PM   #949
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
The Canucks continue to collect Elias’. They might not win the Stanley Cup but they are winning the Elias Cup.
Hard to win the Stanley Cup when the Flames knock you out of round 1!
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:07 PM   #950
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is it an evidence that the team plan is now a rebuild? I hope so.
If Markstrom was in trade talk, I guess he is ready to go too.
Time to deep dive.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:08 PM   #951
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yep, and the Flames still have time to see where Sharangovich and Kuzmenko fit in for the future, and if not they might be trade bait for next years TDL

So far Sharangovich has done nothing but increase his overall value since coming to the Flames. Hopefully Kuz does the same.
Exactly.

Maybe they work out long term - and that would be great.

And if not, they are assets for next year's trade deadline. And we can put Mangiapane in the same boat.

Not all trades have to happen this year - next year is shaping up to potentially be just as big as this year for us. And next year, most teams should have a little more wiggle room with the cap. So it could turn out to be very lucrative for the Flames.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:08 PM   #952
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
It took me a second but well done.
Shazam had the joke first, I just went mirror with it.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:08 PM   #953
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Not everyone. There were lots of people posting trades where bluechip prospects or young performing roster players were being moved in trade. So those expectations were not met in any way. We didn't see a Wallinder or Lekkerimaki dealt our way.

Argue away. He was drafted in the third round for a reason. He's a smallish defenseman who is pass first. Not a great shot, but an incredible passer. A player that not many on the board had heard of before the trade and a guy that didn't even make the Canucks top 15 prospects in their prospect review by The Hockey Writers for a weak Vancouver prospect pool. Still lots to prove for this kid, even with posting gaudy numbers in the OHL. Has a particular skillset the team needs but has a long path to the NHL. Still see him as a "B" level prospect, even with the scoring exploits, and that's okay. "B" level prospects can surprise and turn into core players if things go right.
Why not use a more recent prospect ranking? Here's one from earlier this month.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancou...y-2024-edition

Quote:
3. Hunter Brzustewicz- Kitchener Rangers, OHL
RD- 6'0", 190 lbs- Round 3, 75th overall in 2023

Hunter Brzustewicz is having a season to remember. The Kitchener Rangers defender leads all players in the OHL with 58 points in 37 games and is on the path to becoming just the 15th defender in OHL history to surpass the 100-point mark in a season. One of the CHL's most dynamic defencemen, he is the mid-season favourite to be named CHL Defenceman of the Year.
Yes that is a 3, as in 3rd best prospect for the Canucks. Favorite to be CHL Defenceman of the year doesn't sound like a description of a B prospect either.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:09 PM   #954
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't know if already asked but why doesn't Conroy trade Kuzmenko in a month to someone else? Why wait until next year?
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elkyiv For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:09 PM   #955
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
To me because Calgary is a tough(ish) place to land UFAs or retain free agents without overpaying, the strategy must be build through the draft. Especially the way the cap works. And the best way to do that is to load up on picks and rely on your scouting.

The Flames should have way more faith in their amateur scouting than they’ve strategically leveraged organizationally up to this point. Like, Wranglers are one of the best teams. All the kids coming in can compete, or seem to be able to. Lots of our picks have turned out well, or seem to. I don’t remember the Flames of the 90s or early 00’s having the best draft pick luck. So, build this team through the draft and leverage our assets today to load up on as many picks as possible. You will find the next star player or players this way.
Put as many darts on the board as possible and I'm positive that with this scouting staff the Flames will find their next diamond in the rough (Gaudreau), maybe a couple of them.

They should absolutely lean into their strengths. Core team needs were rarely if ever solved through free agency. I think you supplement a good team through FA (when it's time), and should do so very conservatively.

When it comes to the Flames, they should buy low in free agency to try to extract trade value to turn into more futures at the next deadline.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:11 PM   #956
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
I don't know if already asked but why doesn't Conroy trade Kuzmenko in a month to someone else? Why wait until next year?
Could happen.

What if he tears it up, and they flip him for a 1st?
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:11 PM   #957
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
It's probably best for Calgary to see how he does on their team for the next 12 months and see if they re-sign him or trade him moving forward. If he fits in well they may opt to keep him otherwise trade him at the deadline next year.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:11 PM   #958
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Wonder if Conroy will pull the Gaudreau move on Brzustewicz and fly him in on the private jet to play the last couple games of the NHL season if the flames are out to get him signed if the Rangers season ends. Seems like a real solid trade but long run signing him and Kuzmenko putting up some points and being flipped next season for some good value would really cement that
Was thinking that too. I would think the Flames would be all over that, in order to close the deal.

Also, I really doubt there is a flight risk issue here - if Brzustewicz was opposed to coming to Canada, why play in the OHL? Much easier to walk the path to UFA status by playing US college.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 10:12 PM   #959
Bubba17
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
i think you replied to the wrong post
You are correct and sorry for the mistake.
Bubba17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:13 PM   #960
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
Is it an evidence that the team plan is now a rebuild? I hope so.
If Markstrom was in trade talk, I guess he is ready to go too.
Time to deep dive.
The other factor if you may recall on Markstrom- Lindholm was one of his better friends. He may be much more willing to waive NMC with Lindholm gone.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote