Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #9021
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I never said the guys I named have never had good teammates out there on the ice with them. Malkin's also played on the PP with Crosby, Orr with Esposito, McDavid with Draisaitl, Mario with Jagr.

I was trying to make a point about how hockey is a team sport and even the best players were not just the Lebron James of hockey. Tkachuk having a Backlund to iron out some areas in his skillset he can't do individually is no different from Crosby's chemistry with Kunitz in his prime - just about the teamwork aspect.

Kessel obviously is a good linemate for Malkin. Really missing the point still.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 02-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #9022
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Lidstrom View Post
Re: Chucky. He's 21. He is a pwf. His skating has always been a knock but I have seen it improve. He has a pro work ethic and he's above ppg status as a 21 year old pwf. He is also the league's best agitator imo. Marchand was number one but his komarov stunt was a lil over the line. But it's the two of them at the top. He is a very valuable player. He looks physically bigger as well. He could be a very big customer here to round it out. This type of player is valuable. How valuable and how loyal are the pertinent questions afoot.

He will sign for something like Johnny. He will understand the cap dynamics and dynasty potential the flames could have here with their fantastic cap situation.

Which brings me to my current thought about the deadline. Should the flames make a big splash or stay put?

I think a modest acquisition would be good. Brett Richie maybe but would dallas let him go?

Brian Boyle could be a good get.
What would he cost?

how much would kreider really cost?

My buddy says doughty likes yyc. In the off season a trade could be an intriguing proposition but right now I wouldn't want to mess with the chemistry. He says the ire doughty and Chucky have for eachother could lead to magic dynamics for the team too. My buddy knows some of these cats. He and I were on the notion of James neal. We were musing that he could be the biggest acquisition if he turns it on come crunch time. He has been to two cup finals in a row. He could be playing conservatively. That aligns with the stand pat notion.
i like Doughty, but the acquisition cost would be too high for my liking; i don't know if he is good as he was previously, or whether the overall team being bad is dragging him down.

i'd be more than happy to stay pat at the deadline, but i think you do your due diligence.... as people have said, Stone is probably a pipe dream and cap would be an issue even if you were able to make the acquisition...I'd prefer a guy like Nyquist who would be a lot cheaper than Stone. Kreider or Hayes seem like they are in that kind of range too.

a lot of talk of a LHD, so a depth acquisition would not surprise me...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #9023
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Flyers announce they will waive Jori Lehterä
Yikes the Brayden Schenn for Jori Lehtera trade is showing shades of Chiarelli..
Old 02-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #9024
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Yikes the Brayden Schenn for Jori Lehtera trade is showing shades of Chiarelli..
meh. Morgan Frost and Joel Farabee are fantastic prospects.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #9025
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Waiving Jori Lehtera to get rid of him is about as no brainer a move as can be, since everyone and their pet dog knows Lehtera does not have NHL calibre hockey ability.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #9026
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
i like Doughty, but the acquisition cost would be too high for my liking;
With Doughty's cap hit and salary owed, I'm actually wondering if the acquisition cost is less than we expect. Not many teams can fit an 11 million dollar/8yrs defenseman who has broken 50 points three times. Even we're pretty tight paying Giordano 6.75 this year and he's probably been our best player.

Unfortunately for the team that needs Doughty the most, they have that salary tied up in Milan Lucic and Kris Russell.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-06-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #9027
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like another Preds trade happening shortly

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Hearing Nashville isn’t done yet. Stay tuned.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #9028
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Subban for Draisatil, come on Subban for Draisaitl
Old 02-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #9029
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Looks like another Preds trade happening shortly

Hearing Nashville isn’t done yet. Stay tuned.
Please be James Neal, please be James Neal...remember how good he was for you! He’s just as good now, trust us!

Would we lie to you? #Charles&Eddie
Old 02-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #9030
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if it is Simmonds?
Old 02-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #9031
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Reading between the lines, the Canes are not getting the offers they were expecting for Ferland

Carolina Hurricanes have pulled back a bit in the effort to trade Mike Ferland. See how the next few games go. May use Ferland as an “own rental” in playoff push.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-06-2019 at 11:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #9032
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

There will be nothing left for the talking heads on deadline day again lol
Old 02-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #9033
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Reading between the lines, the Canes are not getting the offers they were expecting for Ferland

Carolina Hurricanes have pulled back a bit in the effort to trade Mike Ferland. See how the next few games go. May use Ferland as an “own rental” in playoff push.
Lololol.

What a ####ing fleecing by Tre
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #9034
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Lololol.

What a ####ing fleecing by Tre
Hopefully the market continues to be cool for sellers.
The Following User Says Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #9035
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
Hopefully the market continues to be cool for sellers.
To me this feels like one of those seasons where waiting is going to be prudent.

1) Lots of teams still feel close enough to be in it and may be asking more now for that reason, that will change by deadline day.

2) There are lots of forwards available on the market, including 3 big ones that will hold up the market (Panarin, Duchene, Stone).

3) Teams that are going all in (Toronto, Nashville, etc) are going to spend more to get their shopping done early and set a false sellers market.

Could be a season where waiting till the last minute will let you bargain shop.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #9036
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I mean Carolina had to know Ferly wasn't worth their ask in the beginning.

Last edited by Otto-matic; 02-06-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #9037
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would a 2nd + Lazar for Ferland be fair ?
Old 02-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #9038
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Would a 2nd + Lazar for Ferland be fair ?
Maybe for the Flames, but Flames don't have their 2019 2nd. Plus at this point, Lazar holds almost no value, and I think Carolina is holding out for a 1st.

Plus, it's my understanding that there is almost no interest in Ferland from the Flames. Don't forget that the locker room was a major issue last year, and its not a coincidence that Ferland was one of the bodies leaving town.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #9039
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that through a personal source Incogneto?? Lots of analysts have been saying that the flames have been circling back to Ferland.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #9040
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
Maybe for the Flames, but Flames don't have their 2019 2nd. Plus at this point, Lazar holds almost no value, and I think Carolina is holding out for a 1st.

Plus, it's my understanding that there is almost no interest in Ferland from the Flames. Don't forget that the locker room was a major issue last year, and its not a coincidence that Ferland was one of the bodies leaving town.
I still don't buy this.

Gaudreau tweeted out to Ferland when we traded him, hasn't done that for anyone else.

Tkachuk was chumming it up with Ferly pre-game when he came to Calgary with the Canes.

Treliving himself explicitly had praise for Ferland after the trade and said it was a tough piece to lose. Radio silence for Hamilton on the other hand.

If Ferland was moved out for locker room reasons why would these three guys - our best forward, arguably our future captain, and our GM, have gone out of their way to treat him so well?

Ferland was moved because he was a pending UFA and Hanifin and Lindholm were high-end RFAs. It was asset management.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread