Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #861
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
What are your Crypto holdings?

Emotional, on here maybe but it's all in good fun...I am cold blooded in the market. I have been diamond handsing whole coins of BTC since March 2017.

I am passionate about crypto as I really believe in it vs a government printing money and lying about inflation.

Currently I am holding BTC and buying Eth and ADA
go on
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #862
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

So I'm new in the game when it comes to mining. I have a rig up and running 3 cards now using NiceHash. One of the cards is a GTX 1080... I was expecting a hash rate somewhere around 33-35, but am only getting around 26. Has anyone used OhGodAnETHlargmentPill for the 1080? Does it work?
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #863
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
I was expecting a hash rate somewhere around 33-35, but am only getting around 26. Has anyone used OhGodAnETHlargmentPill for the 1080? Does it work?
Yes, it works for the GDDR5X video cards but it may be tricky now to find a executable version of it that you can trust. However, with more recent mining software they have command-line options that duplicate that functionality. With t-rex, the option is "--mt 1" while phoenix it's "-straps 1 ". You can try higher numbers for better performance but with possibly less stability.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #864
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So just transferred a couple grand into my coinsquare account to buy bitcoin. Anyone want to offer an educated guess on a good target price to buy at in the next week or so to maximize? Seems like BTC price is all over the place. Any Bitcoin gurus care to weigh in?
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:57 AM   #865
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are going to hold for a few years or more, and believe the price is going to 2x or 3x over that time, does it really matter?

If you intend to sell when it tops, in a couple weeks or however long it takes, you are just gambling with your money. IMO now is not the time to accumulate BTC for this purpose as that ship has sailed. It will come back at some point, but it's not here now. You would be better off stashing your money away until the bull market is over and invest it during an accumulation phase.

Last edited by worth; 02-15-2021 at 12:08 PM.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 12:05 PM   #866
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
If you are going to hold for a few years or more, and believe the price is going to 2x or 3x over that time, does it really matter?

If you intend to sell when it tops, in a couple weeks or however long it takes, you are just gambling with your money. IMO now is not the time to accumulate BTC for this purpose as that ship has sailed. It will come back at some point, but it's not here now. You would be better off stashing your money away until the bear market is over and invest it during an accumulation phase.
Thanks I'm planning on holding it long term but I think I'll wait for the markets to settle a bit before buying more. Appreciate the advice.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:10 PM   #867
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could also think about dollar cost averaging whereby you purchase btc on a reoccurring weekly or monthly basis regardless of price. This takes the emotion and guesswork out of it and ultimately the cost averages itself out over time.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #868
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
So just transferred a couple grand into my coinsquare account to buy bitcoin. Anyone want to offer an educated guess on a good target price to buy at in the next week or so to maximize? Seems like BTC price is all over the place. Any Bitcoin gurus care to weigh in?
When dino is right and it goes to $1M in 7 years your buy in price will make a huge difference in what percentage of that million you’ll be worth.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:10 PM   #869
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If this was any other investment you wouldn't buy on a massive upswing, you would look to the inherent value of the investment and wait for it to drop down into a value range where its future earnings make the investment sensible

But its bitcoin, which depending on your theological bent is either going to somehow manage to increase in value forever for no appreciable reason or is in the middle of a vast ponzi like bubble that will inevitably burst and leave anyone holding the coin broke, you pays your money you takes your choice.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #870
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not particularly educated, but personally, I'd buy 25-50% at whatever price is now to make sure you're in the game and don't feel like your missing out. Then I'd wait a bit to see if it goes one of two ways:
1) If it breaks $50K (USD), I think 55-60 could be achieved pretty quick, so I'd use that as a signal to buy the rest.
2) If it refused to break 50 for a sustained time, I could see it dropping to the low 40s again, or potentially even to the 30s.

Personally, I'd also take about 20% of your investment and put it into Ethereum, as I think there is more room to grow there than in BTC. Also perhaps a bit into ADA, Polkadot, EOS.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #871
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the “real” value of Bitcoin is a very interesting question.

If Bitcoin is gold you could look at the world wide gold market value and use that as a proxy for the amount of stored wealth is currently required by financial markets outside of fiat currencies.

Right now there is about 10 trillion in gold out there. Bitcoin is worth about .9 trillion. So if you assume that Bitcoin will eventually replace the role of gold it could have 10x left in rapid growth before becoming just an inflation hedge.

Where this could underestimate the value is that gold is tough to buy, store and sell relative to Bitcoin so the people using it as an inflation hedge might expand to the retail level more so then gold. This would increase the market significantly. What would decrease potential is if it can’t defeat gold as the default inflationary hedge or if it has to share that 10 trillion dollar market with Etherium and other coins.

Of course this assumes that these coins don’t replace fiat currency entirely which while possible is more of a moonshot and also likely the end of nation states.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #872
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the other variable might be that gold has an inherent value as jewelry, which bitcoin will never enjoy.

Even after it didn't back currencies, gold had other uses.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #873
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
I think the other variable might be that gold has an inherent value as jewelry, which bitcoin will never enjoy.

Not just that, gold is literally required for computers as we know them to function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:45 PM   #874
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post

You sure can't wear a bitcoin watch
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:01 PM   #875
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sure, but gold isn't as finite as Bitcoin. There are only a certain number of Bitcoin out there, and that number shrinks every time someone loses their wallet password. Gold can be mined, or transmuted from other elements like lead. Or so I've been informed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:50 PM   #876
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
Sure, but gold isn't as finite as Bitcoin. There are only a certain number of Bitcoin out there, and that number shrinks every time someone loses their wallet password. Gold can be mined, or transmuted from other elements like lead. Or so I've been informed.

Do alt coins provide that function for Bitcoin? Does it matter if Bitcoin is finite if you can create other coins to hold value in a similar manner?
Old 02-15-2021, 08:20 PM   #877
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

gold has cultural value in much of the world, it is a way of displaying wealth for wedding celebrations and the like.
If India continues to grow then the rise of their middle class is going to increase the market for gold exponentially
Old 02-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #878
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If it is infinitely divisible doesnt that make it infinite in practice?
I have to admit that's one thing I have tried to wrap my head around
Old 02-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #879
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
If it is infinitely divisible doesnt that make it infinite in practice?
I have to admit that's one thing I have tried to wrap my head around
That supports the infinite value Diamond hands argument. As demand for Bitcoin grows supply is constrained so price rises until the total market cap meets demand.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 11:15 PM   #880
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

this guy gets it

Unless you think this will be the all time high price for BTC now is a good time to buy. If you are holding it doesn't matter and any day a major investment could come and push it into another stratosphere.

ETH and ADA will have better short term gains though IMO

Last edited by dino7c; 02-15-2021 at 11:25 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum