Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #61
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Ah yes... I cite Matt Kassian vs Zach Kassian and the legal battle over the trademark Kassassin
This actually happened? It's funny because both players are so very, very average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #62
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I seriously doubt that he will encounter any problems. It is a well established moniker, and one that he very easily can claim exclusive rights to.
exclusivity might be an issue. a few media people with Anaheim started calling John Gibson "Johnny Hockey" last year.

however Gaudreau has been called it since his college days so...

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-13-2015 at 04:56 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #63
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
This actually happened? It's funny because both players are so very, very average.
yup http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/02...n-be-only-one/

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #64
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I don't know how on earth people could mock this decision?

I'm surprised he didn't trademark it in BU when it first started gaining traction. His agent is a smart man.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #65
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
If any other player in the league did this, the majority of this board would mock and ridicule it. Odd decision
Like what ? "Hallsy" pimp wear

Hockey players have some of the lamest nick-names
"Johnny Hockey" is great
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #66
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
exclusivity might be an issue. a few media people with Anaheim started calling John Gibson "Johnny Hockey" last year.

however Gaudreau has been called it since his college days so...
As you note, Gaudreau would have the prior claim. Also, there would be a pretty good argument that the Anaheim media guys started calling Gibson that because of Gaudreau's nickname - much like the Vladdy Hockey stuff up north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

I'm surprised he didn't trademark it in BU when it first started gaining traction. His agent is a smart man.
He wouldn't have had an agent then given the NCAA works very hard to pretend it is amateur. I'm sure his scholastic "advisor" didn't realize how big the name would get.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #67
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its hilarious Gretzky trademarked King of Kings but forgot Hockey Christ Superstar and Hockey Jesus.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #68
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's a smart business move and the angrier and more agitated people get at it, the sweeter it gets.

Just food for thought that I find interesting - Connor McDavid hasn't played a single NHL game yet all over people are already dubbing him "The Next One". Johnny has already proven everything he can at every level of hockey, including the world's best league, that he can stick and can be elite. Still struggles to get respect.

Also laughing at the people who are dumb enough to think the nickname is offensive to Mr. Hockey.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #69
Walter Reed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Those other players are not Flames though to be fair.

I am sure it is being ridiculed by other fans. Which in turn would be applauded if it was their player.

I'm not huge on the nick name but he might as well maximize how much money he can make.
I'll preface my comment by stating that they don't stem from a anti-Calgary thing but rather a marketing scenario. I would think that JG using his nickname to market various products will have a somewhat exclusive appeal to Flame fans rather than a league wide appeal because he plays for a "small market" team. Had Gaudreau played for a LA, NY, Detroit or Toronto market I think adding his name might have a broader league wide appeal. Regardless, his agent is looking out for his client.

IKTHUS

Last edited by Walter Reed; 01-13-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Walter Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #70
JohnnySkittles
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Only thing that I don't necessarily love about this is that it could be premature. He does look fantastic, but still, he's only half a season into his career.
JohnnySkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #71
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

Boston College not Boston University, just a heads up.
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bezer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #72
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySkittles View Post
Only thing that I don't necessarily love about this is that it could be premature. He does look fantastic, but still, he's only half a season into his career.
Guaranteed it's his agent, and not Johnny, that wanted this done ASAP. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd been in his ear about it since college (I'm pretty sure his agent and "advisor" are the same person still). That's his job.

It's smart to lock it down, I imagine a few guys (like the others mentioned in this thread) have missed out on some big cash by not doing this. It may be premature, but it's also a potential brand name - and a damn good one at that. Best to be safe and get it done quick.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames supported the move as well.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #73
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i figured zack's nickname would be more like 'the toothless wonder'

Old 01-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #74
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

As others have said I'll bet you Johnny had very little do with this except saying "ok go ahead".

I thought I read somewhere that he's on record saying he doesn't even really like the nickname (pretty sure he was just being humble) and that the guys give him a hard time about it.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #75
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Reed View Post
I'll preface my comment by stating that they don't stem from a anti-Calgary thing but rather a marketing scenario. I would think that JG using his nickname to market various products will have a somewhat exclusive appeal to Flame fans rather than a league wide appeal because he plays for a "small market" team. Had Gaudreau played for a LA, NY, Detroit or Toronto market I think adding his name might have a broader league wide appeal.
I think his league wide appeal may come to surprise you:
· The nickname originated in Boston College, and was created by fans. American fans who watch hockey, and who are fanatical about Gaudreau.
· He was the best player in the NCAA by a WIDE margin in his last two seasons, and is universally recognised by NCAA hockey enthusiasts. It is a good bet that with the exposure he received via the NCAA's own marketing that "Johnny Hockey" was itself a household word for more than just college hockey fans.
· He has since played in the WJC and in the WC, and is arguably one of the most recognisable US borne players in the NHL in large part because of the hype that had developed—not just within Calgary—over the course of the last two years.
· Since coming to Calgary, he now benefits from tremendous exposure in Canadian television. He is a fixture in Flames national as well as regional broadcasts, on broadcasts of games in US cities, and he has been the topic of conversations at the national level about such things as the Calder Trophy race.

Of course playing in a big market would have dramatically increased the value of his trademarked nickname. But his presence in Calgary in no way precludes his market potential. There are still plenty of people outside of this city who recognise him, and who are fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-13-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 05:54 PM   #76
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySkittles View Post
Waiting to do something is the perfect way to lose any claim on the name.

This is as much about preventing other people from putting the name on stuff as it is about Gaudreau putting out merchandise with the name on it.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #77
Walter Reed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think his league wide appeal may come to surprise you:
· The nickname originated in Boston College, and was created by fans. American fans who watch hockey, and who are fanatical about Gaudreau.
· He was the best player in the NCAA by a WIDE margin in his last two seasons, and is universally recognised by NCAA hockey enthusiasts. It is a good bet that with the exposure he received via the NCAA's own marketing that "Johnny Hockey" was itself a household word for more than just college hockey fans.
· He has since played in the WJC and in the WC, and is arguably one of the most recognisable US borne players in the NHL in large part because of the hype that had developed—not just within Calgary—over the course of the last two years.
· Since coming to Calgary, he now benefits from tremendous exposure in Canadian television. He is a fixture in Flames national as well as regional broadcasts, on broadcasts of games in US cities, and he has been the topic of conversations at the national level about such things as the Calder Trophy race.

Of course playing in a big market would have dramatically increased the value of his trademarked nickname. But his presence in Calgary in no way precludes his market potential. There are still plenty of people outside of this city who recognise him, and who are fans.
I understand what you are saying and agree with what you've stated however while Wayne Gretzky was arguably the NHL's best player while in Edmonton his marketing stock really took off only when he arrived in LA.

IKTHUS
Walter Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #78
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Reed View Post
I understand what you are saying and agree with what you've stated however while Wayne Gretzky was arguably the NHL's best player while in Edmonton his marketing stock really took off only when he arrived in LA.
Is your entire point that there is bigger money in bigger markets?

Well, yeah Walter, yeah.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #79
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
gretzky also has wines that he puts his name on....

http://www.gretzkyestateswines.com/c...0Okanagan.html

it looks like the 'wayne gretzky estates' is trademarked

So...Wayne Gretzky...Wines? Who knew?

<winer><winer><winer>
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #80
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Johnny HockeyTM's agent is going to be on News Talk 770 tonight talking about this. Not sure of the time though.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaudreau , johnny hockey , trademark