Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #61
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
No one is asking for Gulutzan to be publicly humiliated and driven out of town tied to a car bumper.
Ya but you gotta show some professionalism dude. You think elite coaches like AV and JQ would want to come here if Treliving fired him with 2 games left in the season. Flames represent a classy organization from top to bottom on how they handle things, that is why we never hear trade leaks or any sort of bs rumours come out.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #62
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I'm glad you don't run the Flames or you'd be rolling dice to make decisions. Because luck.
Good to see you're letting everything I've said soak in.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #63
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
When was the last time a coach got fired with two games left in the season in any sport?
Not 2 games left, but Lou Lamorello fired Claude Julien very late in the 2007 season, and they were making the playoffs.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #64
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Not 2 games left, but Lou Lamorello fired Claude Julien very late in the 2007 season, and they were making the playoffs.
3 games left, 105 point season IIRC.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:19 PM   #65
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
It's funny - the GM's going back years have continually whined about "character", "tenacity" and "spark", yet have always managed to trade/lose the "sparkiest" guy on the team - Byron, Prust twice,... Like, really? Not trying to re-start those debates per se - just saying that you want "spark", yet...
And Byron could also score. He has 20 goals the last two seasons with Montreal. He also played for a loss less money than other players in the league with his talent.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #66
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least we didn't have to hear about "the process" this time. That was always such a cop-out answer for him in the past.

I was never really inspired by Treliving's talk and never understood the cult following he enjoys. Four seasons in, he should not still be trying to determine the identity of the team. Not that I don't think he hasn't made some good deals and signings, but the bad is starting to outweigh the good IMO. The results this season can attest to that.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #67
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Robbie Ftorek was twice fired with less than 10 games remaining. In both cases, the teams were going to the playoffs.

In 2000, Ftorek was fired by the Devils with 8 games left and replaced by Larry Robinson. They went on to win the Cup.

I guess there's some logic in trying to shake things up prior to the playoffs, but if you're not making the playoffs, there's no reason to do a late-season firing.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #68
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad things are never as bad as they seem, because they seem pretty ####ing bad.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #69
Demaeon
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm betting that the end of season pizza party and garbage bag and final interview day will be very subdued.

With the question of "Did Treliving spit in the pizza" floating out there.
Demaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:02 PM   #70
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I want to be optimistic that Treliving can turn this thing back around, but he traded away our 1st and 2nd round picks in a year where we missed the playoffs, and he's the guy who hired Gulutzan who has pretty much face planted in embarrassing fashion. (and hasn't fired him yet either...officially)

My faith is shaken, to say the least.
The Brouwer signing was the first big eyebrow raise for me.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #71
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Other people who hate to lose as much as tkachuk and smith: Sutter, iggy, ferland

People who seemingly don't mind losing: brouwer, ahler Matt stajan, lazar, Brodie
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #72
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Perhaps I'm letting my bias influence my perception, but to me, these comments seem like a clear shot at GG's robotic and emotionless approach to games. The rigid structure and inflexibility have been a major damper on this team's passion level.

Full disclosure, I also thought Smith's comments after the Glass/Lucic fight were directed at GG. It was Gulutzan's decision to have Glass fight Lucic, instead of Ferland or Hathaway.
It was also GG's decision not to dress Stewart for that game, knowing full well that Lucic may get out of hand.

The biggest error was made with the lineup before the game actually started.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #73
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
How a franchise treats players/coaches impacts whether other people want to be part of the organization. Running an outgoing coach into the ground isn't a good way to kick off the search for a new coach.
When I said "fire him already" that was in a general context not do it this second or else. I don't think firing him today would be the most egregious thing ever done either.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #74
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Identity huh?? Well let's look at players who brought identity , character and where is this guy that stirs the drink on this team.

I'd say without a doubt right now Tkachuk is that guy.....and Gio could be that guy you follow into battle but he just isn't.

It used to be McGrattan for a while. Before that maybe Paul Byron to a small degree ( no pun intended)
Both of these guys did stuff on the ice that commanded attention.

One guy smashed in your face and the other would just skate past you or nail your ash to the boards regardless of how big you were he didn't back down.

I noticed immediately the loss of these guys. It was easy to see no one was replacing Brian and I remember only a few people ever taking Byron seriously while the rest were just making jokes about what Byron offered or didn't.

Regardless, here we sit. Brad's got one helluva off season to work on.

I hope we do something to ensure we keep guys like Shore and heck even offer a PTO to Stewart with the understanding he has to earn a second year contract with a raise but for now it's always earned and never given.....yeah I said it to those who hate that expression.

I think so many problems go away once the axe is used on Glen, Dave Cameron and the rest of those supporting him.

Treliving has to be put on notice too.

Put this year behind us.....I never want to see us have another Abysmal like this one.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #75
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Other people who hate to lose as much as tkachuk and smith: Sutter, iggy, ferland

People who seemingly don't mind losing: brouwer, ahler Matt stajan, lazar, Brodie
Ferkland? Yeah he’s been just dominating out there lately....

He mailed in the last half of the season.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2018, 04:22 PM   #76
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Robbie Ftorek was twice fired with less than 10 games remaining. In both cases, the teams were going to the playoffs.

In 2000, Ftorek was fired by the Devils with 8 games left and replaced by Larry Robinson. They went on to win the Cup.

I guess there's some logic in trying to shake things up prior to the playoffs, but if you're not making the playoffs, there's no reason to do a late-season firing.
Not with 2 games left, no. But with 10-15 games left once it became clear it was over and the wheels were about to completely fall off? Why not. The end of this season has been abject misery. It couldn't have been good for the morale of, well, anyone. I understand that Treliving is a patient guy but it would be hard for me If I were GM to stand by and watch the team go limp to that degree at the end of the year. Maybe the good old days of the interim coach are over and it just wasn't realistic to make the change, but part of me wonders how the organization could just stand by and watch this all take place. I tuned in late last night but seeing the half empty dome with the Flames yet again faltering to a weak team was sad and pathetic. I felt sorry for those still in attendance. It never should've got this bad.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 04-04-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #77
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
How a franchise treats players/coaches impacts whether other people want to be part of the organization. Running an outgoing coach into the ground isn't a good way to kick off the search for a new coach.
Exactly.

Why is it so hard for people to see this.

You HAVE to be a classy organization.

Anyone remember the Tire Fire Up North firing someone over Skype?
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #78
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Not with 2 games left, no. But with 10-15 games left once it became clear it was over and the wheels were about to completely fall off? Why not. The end of this season has been abject misery. It couldn't have been good for the morale of, well, anyone. I understand that Treliving is a patient guy but it would be hard for me If I were GM to stand by and watch the team go limp to that degree at the end of the year. Maybe the good old days of the interim coach are over and it just wasn't realistic to make the change, but part of me wonders how the organization could just stand by and watch this all take place. I tuned in late last night but seeing the half empty dome with the Flames yet again faltering to a weak team was sad and pathetic. I felt sorry for those still in attendance. It never should've got this bad.
10-15 games left they were still in the hunt

You don't take team that has a shot still no matter how slim and throw a brand new coach in during the stretch drive for the playoffs

When he wasn't replaced early this season it was a sign he was here until the offseason
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #79
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post

How did you arrive at these conclusions? Do you assume this on the basis of how these players carry themselves following games and in interviews?

Smith is a fiery guy; so is Tkachuk. Brodie is not, and neither is Stajan. They do not look outwardly the part, but that very often does not mean much of anything. "Hating to lose" is such a cliché when it comes to NHL players; its the same thing with criticizing the coach for his perceptibly dispassionate demeanour behind the bench. One does not get to play in this League without being extremely competitive and dedicated to their craft in the first place. Every NHL player and coach hates losing whether they wear it on their sleeve or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #80
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hey Brad, I've heard Tavares and Sutter are really emotionally invested dudes.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote