Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #761
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Ok... here's a question "for a friend".

He is developing his basement without permits.

What is the punishment if the basement is finished and then the city finds out about the development? Is there any retro-active inspection that can be done without ripping all the walls down? How does all this affect insurance?
I guess my question is why wouldn't he pull the permits? It's not horribly expensive and it keeps the house insurance compliant. The other huge bonus is knowing the basement is renovated properly and safely. Inspectors are usually friendly and offer advice, they're generally a great resource of info. I would never do a major reno without the proper permits.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #762
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I guess my question is why wouldn't he pull the permits? It's not horribly expensive and it keeps the house insurance compliant. The other huge bonus is knowing the basement is renovated properly and safely. Inspectors are usually friendly and offer advice, they're generally a great resource of info. I would never do a major reno without the proper permits.
His tax assessment will go up. But I agree it is better to go the permit route.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #763
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

What's the penalty if some nosy neighbour reports you to 311 that you appear to be developing your house without a permit?
Old 12-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #764
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
What's the penalty if some nosy neighbour reports you to 311 that you appear to be developing your house without a permit?
I think most of the time, you just go and get a permit when that happens. Someone ratted on my neighbour for a nice looking garage a year ago and he just went and got a permit and that was that.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #765
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Usually basements get developed without a permit if you don't want the suite in the basement to be legal. There's a lot of extra work involved with making a suite legal that many people aren't interested in doing.

If it's not a suite I really don't understand why you wouldn't get a permit.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #766
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Usually basements get developed without a permit if you don't want the suite in the basement to be legal. There's a lot of extra work involved with making a suite legal that many people aren't interested in doing.

If it's not a suite I really don't understand why you wouldn't get a permit.
If you purchase a property with an undeveloped basement, bylaw demands a permit to develop it{in any municipality I have ever lived in).
That said, I never ever got said permit
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #767
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a heated garage and snow in the wheel wells of the car is melting. The water runs towards the door (as it should) but the door sweep is preventing water from running out to the driveway. Instead - water is running off to the sides of the garage where I have items stored and they're sitting in a pool of water.

Anyone have ideas on something heavy yet able to hold back water that I could use to keep the water from pooling on the sides of my garage? (think of a sandbag in hose form?)
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:30 PM   #768
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

For permits when doing a basement...
What is the exact definition of "development"?

If I throw up drywall, and lay carpet, do I need to get a permit, or is it more if you're adding full walls/rooms and electrical?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #769
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post

If I throw up drywall, and lay carpet, do I need to get a permit, or is it more if you're adding full walls/rooms and electrical?
Putting up drywall and carpet does not require a permit.

Edit:

I suppose it depends on how much, exactly what you are doing -

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgary.ca website
Building permits are not REQUIRED for:
Fences, sidewalks, planters
Retaining walls that are less than 1.2 metres in height
Painting, decorating and general maintenance
Minor repairs using similar or same materials for maintenance which do not affect any electrical or mechanical work
Accessory buildings not greater than 10 square metres in area, if they do not create a hazard
For example, I redid my kitchen, which included re-drywalling, re flooring, replacing all cabinets, etc. This did not require a building permit, as per the conversation I had with the city. I did get a homeowners electrical permit to revise the electrical.

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 12-29-2015 at 10:22 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #770
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to build a lean-to structure attached to my garage this spring, but I don't know the first thing about framing. It'll probably extend about 12' from my garage, and I don't want more than three columns to support it. Any suggestions on where to start learning? Usually youtube is pretty helpful, but I'm finding a lot of videos from total noobs with pretty sketchy work.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #771
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm going to build a lean-to structure attached to my garage this spring, but I don't know the first thing about framing. It'll probably extend about 12' from my garage, and I don't want more than three columns to support it. Any suggestions on where to start learning? Usually youtube is pretty helpful, but I'm finding a lot of videos from total noobs with pretty sketchy work.
I don't think he covers your exact project, but this channel does have a few videos on framing/decks/sheds that might help you. I've found it to be a solid resource as the host is quite detailed in his instructions.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
V
Old 12-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #772
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post

You can drywall a wall and leave the bottom two feet unfinished and that doesn't require a permit IIRC. As soon as you start to close it in, you need electrical and all the things required for developed room.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:16 PM   #773
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Google up the 'shed of doom'...lots of good info there. Its a thread on a bc sport bike forum.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 12-31-2015, 12:35 AM   #774
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Google up the 'shed of doom'...lots of good info there. Its a thread on a bc sport bike forum.
That thing was horrific. Surely it must have blown over by now in the wind storms?
Old 01-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #775
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone here ever cut somewhat larger holes into Ikea MDF (or whatever their particle board is)?

I bought a Galant printer cabinet for my UPS, NAS and possibly other components and I have a feeling its going to get too hot in there, so I need to cut some holes for cabinet coolers. I don't need the lines to be perfect, I just want to make sure it doesn't create massive cracks.

The cabinet is put together, so I was thinking of just using a jigsaw, but I'm wondering if something else will do a better job?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #776
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

What kind of holes and how big? Circles? Squares?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #777
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Has anyone here ever cut somewhat larger holes into Ikea MDF (or whatever their particle board is)?

I bought a Galant printer cabinet for my UPS, NAS and possibly other components and I have a feeling its going to get too hot in there, so I need to cut some holes for cabinet coolers. I don't need the lines to be perfect, I just want to make sure it doesn't create massive cracks.

The cabinet is put together, so I was thinking of just using a jigsaw, but I'm wondering if something else will do a better job?

I did this to get some cables. I used a large reamer bit to cut a circular hole, there some some chipping right around the hole, but I put a grommet through it, and it covers up the chips so it isn't noticeable.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #778
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if you tape it first and then drill you'll really reduce the chipping.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #779
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

holesaw attachment for your hand drill would be best
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #780
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
holesaw attachment for your hand drill would be best

Yes. Holesaw, not reamer. Got the names of the tools mixed up.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote