Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #741
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol. I find it difficult on easy. Of course I have no strategy, just walk in and start shooting
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:58 PM   #742
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lol yeah I die a ridiculous amount of times, I think I play on Easy or Normal. I tried going up to Hard and just got annihilated.
iLoveLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:07 PM   #743
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Lol. I find it difficult on easy. Of course I have no strategy, just walk in and start shooting
Taking plenty of cover, keeping your distance, using VATS for close range (so you can unleash a critical for a difficult shot since critical shots have 100% hit rate), and using a common ammo type (10 mm or .45 unless you have the patience to run a pipe weapon) works pretty well for me. At level 30, I've built up about 100 Stimpacks and have hundreds of every ammunition type.

Only thing that scares me now are Mini Nukes since they're 1 hit kills.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:43 PM   #744
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Also after you clear out a place grab as much as you can and start building up your junk. Then start crafting upgrades to your guns and amour and it will get easier.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #745
TheDragon
First Line Centre

Exp:

The perks you choose make a huge difference, as well. If you're having trouble killing things before you die, maybe pick a specific type of weapon Perk to use, (Commando, Gunslinger, Rifleman, Heavy Hitter, etc.)

If you just can't say alive, consider putting some points in Life Giver, or building up your Endurance a little bit. On my first play-through I maxed out Endurance and got Ghoulish and Solar Powered. I recommend avoiding Ghoulish, but Solar Powered was awesome.
TheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #746
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome advice so far guys. Thanks!!
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #747
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I've really leveled up gunslinger and rifleman, so i do like 60% more damage.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #748
TheDragon
First Line Centre

Exp:

One other trick I can offer up as a piece of advice - if you're having trouble aiming at enemies, you can utilize VATS for more than just auto-attacking. If you VATS at an enemy, and then back out, your cross hairs will be pointed at them. Makes it a lot easier to track them in places like the Coverga Auto Plant, where you've got raiders way up on the cat walks shooting down at you.
TheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #749
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Playing on survivalist is insane. I haven't died nearly as many times as I thought I would have, but I ran into a legendary yuo guai right out side of the Red Rocket. Luckily for me a legendary wild mongrel decided to attack the bear and was carrying furious combat knife. It took almost 10 minutes of me running for a spell, taking a slice or two, and repeating. I'm level 8 and have 4 legendary items already.

Every single ranged weapon I'm getting is either being broken down or sold. I feel like this is going to end terribly for me in a short spell.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #750
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
Playing on survivalist is insane. I haven't died nearly as many times as I thought I would have, but I ran into a legendary yuo guai right out side of the Red Rocket. Luckily for me a legendary wild mongrel decided to attack the bear and was carrying furious combat knife. It took almost 10 minutes of me running for a spell, taking a slice or two, and repeating. I'm level 8 and have 4 legendary items already.

Every single ranged weapon I'm getting is either being broken down or sold. I feel like this is going to end terribly for me in a short spell.

I've played nearly the whole game on Survival. I die lots but get wicked gear all the time. I'll kick it down to Hard when it is just silly (like 400+ rounds into a shelled bug and it still whips me).
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #751
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
This can be an effective strategy if you pop a psychojet first. Or just a jet, or just a psycho. Also fun as hell. Sprinting right up to a fortified position with a shotgun can finish things off quicker than the typical cover and shoot approach. Chems are really powerful. Be aware of your companion though as half of them dislike chem use.

Or, plant a bunch of frag mines when you enter a base crawling with enemies. fire a noisy weapon, back around the corner and wait for them to blow themselves up.

Also, use your grenades. Chuck em everywhere, they'll kill something.

Last edited by saillias; 12-15-2015 at 08:31 AM.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #752
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Chems are really powerful. Be aware of your companion though as half of them dislike chem use.
Another reason I only travel with Dogmeat. Even in a post-apocalyptic world, dogs don't judge.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #753
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How do you get Hancock as a companion? I beat the game and he's the only one I don't have :S
Old 12-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #754
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveLamp View Post
How do you get Hancock as a companion? I beat the game and he's the only one I don't have :S

Spoiler!
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #755
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Spoiler!
Yeah, that quest is bugged for me. All I get is a locked door when I go there.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #756
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know if it's a glitch or not, but my friend maxed out all his companions and gained all their perks. Even when they aren't there. He travels with Dogmeat and slaughters endlessly.

Is that just some glitch, or is there a perk that I missed?
Old 12-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #757
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
Game was getting too easy, even on very hard. Decided to restart and play through as full melee.
I think snipe and sneak has been too easy, so I'd like to try this, but my worry is the Super Mutant Suiciders. I guess I can blow them up with mines, but that doesn't really jibe with running recklessly in at all times.

Is anyone already playing a melee-based character? What's the best weapon? Pickman's is super fast and does the extra 25 points of bleeding damage, I use it now to kill things like radroaches and mirelurk babies that aren't worthy of bullets, but there must be something better. I pick up endless numbers of melee weapons that are critter-specific, which I guess is useful if you carry multiples of those around, but surely there must be something out there better than those. I remember in 3 you could get the schematics for the Ripper, I used to go all Ash vs Evil Dead with that thing, it was great.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #758
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveLamp View Post
Yeah, that quest is bugged for me. All I get is a locked door when I go there.
I remember the girl slides the door open and initiates dialogue, maybe if you didn't have the correct response she just locks it. I believe she asked if I would help.
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #759
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I think snipe and sneak has been too easy, so I'd like to try this, but my worry is the Super Mutant Suiciders. I guess I can blow them up with mines, but that doesn't really jibe with running recklessly in at all times.

Is anyone already playing a melee-based character? What's the best weapon? Pickman's is super fast and does the extra 25 points of bleeding damage, I use it now to kill things like radroaches and mirelurk babies that aren't worthy of bullets, but there must be something better. I pick up endless numbers of melee weapons that are critter-specific, which I guess is useful if you carry multiples of those around, but surely there must be something out there better than those. I remember in 3 you could get the schematics for the Ripper, I used to go all Ash vs Evil Dead with that thing, it was great.
I found a furious power fist in boston common. It still seems to be my most valuable melee weapon. I rarely use it though because I'm weak and always have plenty of ammo, lol
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2015, 02:38 AM   #760
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just spent the last 2 hours trying to kill Boomer, a legendary raider, and a couple of raider scum. With nothing but a knife. On Survival mode. At level 9.

I ended up sneaking in and stealing the fusion core out of Boomers power armour. Then I'd stab him a few times before he could draw than nasty Fat Man. Then I'd sprint over to the legendary raider who is just getting out of bed and gut him like a fish. A few more well placed stabs and slices and suddenly the outpost is cleared. Mind you, it was close to two hours later...

Tags
fallout 4 , nuka cola , the lone wanderer