Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #661
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacde View Post
Not technically scotch .... but as good as it gets anyway
Suntory Yamazaki 12 yr

probably the best Ive had...
I simply cannot think about Suntory without this popping into my head.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #662
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kirkland Signature is now a purveyor of good-quality vodka?

Huh... The world has changed or was I just asleep?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #663
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacde View Post
Not technically scotch .... but as good as it gets anyway
Suntory Yamazaki 12 yr

probably the best Ive had...
It's decent. if you liked it, try Bowmore 15 Darkest, same notes but deeper and more pronounced (best value in Islay Scotch single malt these days, imo, for $75). Suntory bought Bowmore long time ago and keeps away from meddling into its operations other than controlling distribution and learning the production techniques.

But it is Suntory Yamazaki 18, which those who appreciate single malts should get. It stole all of of the awards at pretty much all of the world single malt competitions when it came out 2-3 years ago. Initially, the price was just over $100 US. It was quickly bought out and disappeared from everywhere. Even in Japan, I couldn't find it in liquor stores there last fall. I've had two ounces of it for free at Narita Duty Free but balked at paying $500 for a "gift set" of one bottle plus decorative box and glass.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #664
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Alberta Premium is exported to be used in a lot of high priced American Rye blends. It's all a marketing thing. It's actually a decent Whisky. The problem is the regular product is really young at 5 years old. The Alberta Premium 10, 15, 20 year olds when they were available were reported very excellent.

There's a cool video out there somewhere of a pub in Scotland with ton of experienced Whisky tasters trying plain old Alberta Premium at a blind tasting and rating it as an expensive Scotch.

My go to whiskies for this year have been reliable/affordable Laphroaig Quarter Cask and actually Crown Royal Harvest Rye. They are so flavorful and smooth and bottled at 48% and 45% respectively. They don't have any harshness at all. It's just peaty, smoky goodness from Laphroig and a fresh and clean sweetness from the Harvest Rye.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-02-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #665
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it possible to find Harvest Rye easily now? I haven't looked in a long time.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #666
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is it possible to find Harvest Rye easily now? I haven't looked in a long time.
Pretty easy. But I've generally seen it at $40 instead of the original $26 price.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #667
pacde
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
It's decent. if you liked it, try Bowmore 15 Darkest, same notes but deeper and more pronounced (best value in Islay Scotch single malt these days, imo, for $75). Suntory bought Bowmore long time ago and keeps away from meddling into its operations other than controlling distribution and learning the production techniques.

But it is Suntory Yamazaki 18, which those who appreciate single malts should get. It stole all of of the awards at pretty much all of the world single malt competitions when it came out 2-3 years ago. Initially, the price was just over $100 US. It was quickly bought out and disappeared from everywhere. Even in Japan, I couldn't find it in liquor stores there last fall. I've had two ounces of it for free at Narita Duty Free but balked at paying $500 for a "gift set" of one bottle plus decorative box and glass.
$500 is a lot for something you just drink anyway... regardless of how good it is

Ill keep my eye open for the Bowmore, thanks for the tip
pacde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #668
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Had a bottle of Nikka from the barrel last week with a friend. First Japanese experience and was very pleased with it. The hangover not so much.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #669
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Super Nikka Revival at KWM. Great value for 79 bucks, and apparently the only place in Canada you can get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #670
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you guys experimented with your Nikka with ice/neat?

The bottle my buddy grabbed at Costco (Whisky from the barrel @51.4%) I drink neat no problem. Added ice and it got boring.

But I also nabbed a Nikka coffey grain (@45%) and it tastes... "standard and boring" when neat. Added water and it got all floral and unique?
Old 08-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #671
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

So I won't lie, I stocked up on the From the Barrel because of the low price at Costco, and have five of those in my cabinet at the moment. Cutest little bottle ever too!

No ice, no water, as neat as it can be. Coffey malt and grain, I put a big spoon of water in because I find them oily (but in a good way)
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #672
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like any good Scotch with ice or water. It diminishes the wonderful flavour and the experience. I use the whiskey rocks occasionally.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #673
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I don't like any good Scotch with ice or water. It diminishes the wonderful flavour and the experience. I use the whiskey rocks occasionally.
Agreed. But there are indeed a handful of Whiskey, Scotch, Rum etc. that are enhanced by water. That being said, such beverages are not common.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #674
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Agreed. But there are indeed a handful of Whiskey, Scotch, Rum etc. that are enhanced by water. That being said, such beverages are not common.
I splash water in anything barrel/cask strength, or where the burn overruns the flavour.

There's a Texas whiskey called Balcones, which is pure fire, but also tasty as hell. Without water, it's just like having a hot pepper for the sake of having spice, and the water lets the taste come through.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #675
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

What's the price for From The Barrel at Costco?
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #676
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
What's the price for From The Barrel at Costco?
About $48.00 if they still have any left.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #677
Homeslice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hey all - looking for some collective CP help; I'm super new to scotches but I've heard that Willow Park holds a pretty awesome scotch tasting (both here and in the newspaper) but I can't seem to find the event to purchase tickets.

Is this the same thing as the "Whiskey in the Warehouse" event? https://www.willowpark.net/Events/In-Store
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #678
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
I splash water in anything barrel/cask strength, or where the burn overruns the flavour.

There's a Texas whiskey called Balcones, which is pure fire, but also tasty as hell. Without water, it's just like having a hot pepper for the sake of having spice, and the water lets the taste come through.
I was just going to mention this. Cask strength is SUPPOSED to be diluted by water.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #679
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Hey all - looking for some collective CP help; I'm super new to scotches but I've heard that Willow Park holds a pretty awesome scotch tasting (both here and in the newspaper) but I can't seem to find the event to purchase tickets.

Is this the same thing as the "Whiskey in the Warehouse" event? https://www.willowpark.net/Events/In-Store
While I've never actual gone to this, I do believe that is the one. I have also heard great things about it from a few people who have actually gone. Don't plan to drive afterwards is advice I've heard from most.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #680
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

That one sounds like the same event I mentioned in the OP of this old thread from years ago.

I was just talking to my cousin about that the other day. We were reminiscing about how insanely trashed we got and how great it was to taste a whole ton of scotch that I wouldn't normally drop $100/btl on just in case I hated it. I can't recall how we got the tickets on the cheap. I think he might have been part of their preferred customer program or something like that.

My only regret is that I didn't take better notes. That and I was so wasted I dropped the free glass they gave us when I got off the Ctrain at the end of the night.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: