Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:54 AM   #6041
FranksandBean
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Simmons would cost a fortune and Spezza is finished, Vanek is having a good year and would defiantly help the PP but I think there will be a bidding war at the deadline for him.

I think if Treliving does anything at all it will be something like to target the cheap pissed off owner in Ottawa and try to steal Hoffman or Stone. It's something his dad would do!

I know Simmons would cost a lot that is because he is a great player but does he get extended beyond his current contract where he is. As for Spezza, he is having a better year than both Frolik and Brouwer (offensively) and is an offensive player who get most of his points on the power play. Since I stated that this was one of the things which needed help why not look at the possibility of him? Also who would you want more a Center with good faceoffs, good on the power play, offensive minded and right handed for two more years or Brouwer for three more? Again I don’t think Brouwer is the problem with this team but I can turn him into Spezza I do it, also and maybe I’m alone in this but if I can turn Frolik into Spezza and picks (replacing the ones lost in the Hamonic trade) I would also do that. I believe that Spezza playing with Jankowski and Bennett with Hathaway on the fourth line makes this team a bigger threat in the playoffs this year.

If you think that Simmons is going to cost a fortune but believe Hoffman will cost less that’s fine but I believe that they will command similar prices. The only reason I would pay that price would be to upgrade the team and more left handed shots does not help this team at all. If you are advocating trading Bennett or Frolik for Hoffman as I believe he is currently a better scorer that’s fine but he is not better than Ferland, Gaudreau, Tkachuk. Stone will simply cost more than all of these players, take it this way what would you want for Gaudreau (as he is our best forward same as Stone to Ottawa).

The good news is I believe we agree on Vanek which is not to say that because I disagree with you makes any of your point less valid. I just see things differently and may have a slightly different value system, it’s all good banter though.

Last edited by FranksandBean; 01-21-2018 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #6042
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I do not really get the hate for Montreal. So many people hope they fail. I understand Toronto (center of the universe), Edmonton, Vancouver and to some extent Winnipeg (same conference).

Montreal is a storied franchise and the players have to put up with absolute hell from the Media. I cheer for Montreal if the Flames are out of it.
I don't think it's the team as much as it is the fans. Any fanbase that can bronx cheer two of their franchises best goalies in Roy and Price, it's hard to like them.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #6043
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If there is a push for the playoffs, the 4th line needs to be upgraded big time. Send Mangiapane back down as he is being wasted on the 4th line, can't be good for his offensive confidence. Stajan just doesn't have it anymore and Lazar can be replaced as well.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #6044
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
If there is a push for the playoffs, the 4th line needs to be upgraded big time. Send Mangiapane back down as he is being wasted on the 4th line, can't be good for his offensive confidence. Stajan just doesn't have it anymore and Lazar can be replaced as well.
What exactly do you want a 4th line to do? Because if its put in 6-8 minutes a game and not give up goals then the 4th line is doing its job. If its work some hard shifts and tire out the D then again, the 4th line is doing its job.

If you want the 4th line to score 1-2 goals a game you might want to temper your expectations.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #6045
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
What exactly do you want a 4th line to do? Because if its put in 6-8 minutes a game and not give up goals then the 4th line is doing its job. If its work some hard shifts and tire out the D then again, the 4th line is doing its job.

If you want the 4th line to score 1-2 goals a game you might want to temper your expectations.
I want the 4th line to punish the opposing D, and make them look over their shoulders and make them make make mistakes. Basically I'm looking for a heavier 4th line that can wear down and create momentum. It can make a difference I a playoff run. I will agree the current 4th line is doing a decent job but it could be better.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #6046
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Our fourth line right now on it’s best night is essentially just used to give our effective players rest. They create no energy and no scoring chances.

I want a fourth line like the Islanders used to have with Martin-Czizkas-Clutterbuck. It made an impact every game
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 11:28 AM   #6047
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

4th line needs a centre and some size. Stajan is Fin.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #6048
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post

I disagree with anyone who doesn’t think we need an upgrade on our 4th line. When your goaltender has as many points as your 4th line center, that’s kind of a problem. Gulutzan tends to roll all 4 lines as well so they end up playing 10-12 minutes which is more than enough time to produce some offense. We can’t rely on the 1st and 2nd line to score every single game, that’s just unrealistic.

Just look yesterday’s game as an example. Johnny Gaudreau snapped his 7 game point streak against the Jets that coincided with us ending our 7 game winning streak. If his line doesn’t score or if the 2nd line doesn’t score then there’s a good chance we lose.

I’ve seen teams lower than us in the standings who have had their 4th lines come in and singlehandedly beat us (i.e. Canadiens, Flyers, Maple Leafs and etc). Forward depth in this league can be the difference between a good team and an elite team and If we had a 4th line that could provide a positive goal differential, than maybe we would be in comfortable playoff position battling the Knights for tops in the division instead. There’s a standard set for every player on this team and the current 4th line just isn’t meeting those standards.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #6049
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think Karlsson for us is a pipe dream (as is Tavares). He will be dealt to someone else at this year's deadline for a pretty hefty price. There's still a lot of contenders out there who have a 1st this year to at least start the conversation, which we don't.

I do feel however that Calgary will make a trade with Ottawa to send them Stone, perhaps at the draft, as the Sens will need to shore up RD after the departure of Karlsson and we have Andersson waiting for that bottom RD pairing spot to open up. Oduya walking after this year and Karlsson getting traded would mean their entire top pairing gone in the space of a single season.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #6050
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I still think Karlsson for us is a pipe dream (as is Tavares). He will be dealt to someone else at this year's deadline for a pretty hefty price. There's still a lot of contenders out there who have a 1st this year to at least start the conversation, which we don't.

I do feel however that Calgary will make a trade with Ottawa to send them Stone, perhaps at the draft, as the Sens will need to shore up RD after the departure of Karlsson and we have Andersson waiting for that bottom RD pairing spot to open up. Oduya walking after this year and Karlsson getting traded would mean their entire top pairing gone in the space of a single season.
Don't change the subject. Haven't you seen the last few posts in here?? This is supposed to be about upgrading this team's 4th line.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #6051
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So where sending them stone who are we getting back then lol.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #6052
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynn View Post
Probably Hoffman. Would have to add decent prospect/pick
Old 01-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #6053
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

People said Vanek would cost a ransom at the TDL last year, too. He cost a 3rd + a nothing prospect.

The Flames could probably send the Canucks a 3rd + Wotherspoon and be done with it.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #6054
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynn View Post
Who said that? There is pretty much no scenario where Ottawa trades Stone.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #6055
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Vanek won't ever be a Flame if what they said on the Fan a few weeks back is accurate. Boomer suggested he has it on good authority that it would never happen. The inference being Flames management did not like Vanek in the least.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #6056
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Vanek won't ever be a Flame if what they said on the Fan a few weeks back is accurate. Boomer suggested he has it on good authority that it would never happen. The inference being Flames management did not like Vanek in the least.
Good. Vanek has never shown he is a big playoff performer imo anyhow.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #6057
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
4th line needs a centre and some size. Stajan is Fin.
That's the Flames' trade deadline right there. Replace Stajan with a Brian Boyle type and Treliving can pack up and head to BP's for a Schooner and a Boston Brute.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #6058
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Who said that? There is pretty much no scenario where Ottawa trades Stone.
I think the original poster meant trade our Stone to Ottawa

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
Old 01-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #6059
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Not sure if he's available, but Gallagher would be a nice addition also. Sweet contract for what he brings and has a few years left on it. Plus he's a right hand shot.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Gallagher
That doesn't look fun to play against at all.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #6060
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

On D, my willingness-to-pay order would be:

Fox
Kylington
Andersson
Valimaki

This is nearly the exact opposite for me.

Fox is our best prospect, regardless of position. Kylington and Valimaki both rank ahead of Andersson for me as well.

1. Fox
2. Kylington
3. Valimaki
4. Andersson

I think they’re all good/great prospects, but Andersson has the lowest upside in my eyes.

I think a lot of people on CP have been unfairly critical of Kylington’s game, just in the same way people trash Brodie around here.
Closed Thread