Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Biden 6 66.67%
Trump 3 33.33%
Kanye/other/Independent 0 0%
Would not vote 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #6021
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Italy, Germany. We're arguing about a false dichotomy here.

People are not saying what happened in Germany or Italy will happen in the states, a river always carves a valley but never takes the same path. But we are saying is they are digging a valley, allowing bag actors to do damage to their institutions in similar ways, it may be true that they are starting with stronger institutions, but they already become a lot weaker than any of us had ever anticipated, and its time to call it out for what it is.

Minimizing what comparisons do exist because they are cliche at this point is pretty counter productive to the when we all need to be ringing alarm bells at this point.

I'd recommend listening to the opening monologue, of the most recent episode (The Crisis isn't Trump, its the Republican Part). he probably does a better job of articulating an appropriate level of alarm that I can.
https://www.vox.com/ezra-klein-show-podcast
I'm not saying there aren't huge problems here, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjenjANqAk

This famous clip I think is pretty instructive to what is wrong with the Republican Party - and its base - now.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #6022
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
What readings?
All of them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #6023
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I had to compare Trump's "fascist" governing style to something, it would be more inline with current Middle Eastern countries or monarchies before 1918. It's all about improving his own situation, the situations of his family and close circle, and not at all about the country.

Comparing him to Hitler or Mussolini gives him more credit than he deserves, but also pushes aside the human rights issues. Trump has obviously trampled on civil rights to a degree, but nothing compared to those two. But those two actually had strategies and visions for their country. Hitler was a mad man and Mussolini was a thug, but they also cared more about their countries than themselves (albeit in a sick way). Trump doesn't care about Americans, just his own success and legacy. He has no consistent or coherent strategy or plan. He's a Ferdinand Marcos wannabe.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #6024
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least two Republican governors have come out against Trump, which is nice to see.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/polit...mic/index.html

Quote:
Baker, who emphasized his work campaigning for fellow Republicans as he's "been a Republican for 40 years," called the President's claims of voter fraud "baseless."

"But this latest move to employ the Department of Justice in all of this is so wildly inappropriate and stalling an orderly transition process especially at a time like this is equally unacceptable," he said, adding, "I can't think of a worse time to stall a transition than amid a deadly pandemic that the federal government continues to own primary responsibility for responding to."
Old 11-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #6025
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Just how feasible do you believe the idea of a "false flag" operation is in reality? I just don't think there is a realistic chance of one ever actually working, and I suspect that is why they don't happen.
Yet they have happened and have been effective. False flags don't have to be effective in the long term, just effective enough to achieve the desired state.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #6026
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Look, I didn't say it would be ideal or anything.
I realize that Peter, but what you are saying is Mussolini was 'better', less dangerous than Hitler where as in truth the difference was not the man but the country, Italy was not, nor is to this day as efficient as Germany therefore it's fascism wasnt as efficient either.

The damage a dictatorship in the US can do is a product of the damage the US can do, not a measure of the idiot in charge, we may decry Erdogun's subversion of Turkey but we dont really worry too much as its just Turkey, Turkey's ability to eff with the world is pretty minimal
Old 11-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #6027
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I realize that Peter, but what you are saying is Mussolini was 'better', less dangerous than Hitler where as in truth the difference was not the man but the country, Italy was not, nor is to this day as efficient as Germany therefore it's fascism wasnt as efficient either.

The damage a dictatorship in the US can do is a product of the damage the US can do, not a measure of the idiot in charge, we may decry Erdogun's subversion of Turkey but we dont really worry too much as its just Turkey, Turkey's ability to eff with the world is pretty minimal
Look here, Wimbledon, they are taxonomically different regimes.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #6028
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

No Peter they were and are different countries, the countries shaped the dictatorship
Old 11-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #6029
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
No Peter they were and are different countries, the countries shaped the dictatorship
Which is my point, kinda.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:17 AM   #6030
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Which is my point, kinda.
So then we can't compare similarities to any countries ever because they're different countries?
Old 11-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #6031
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
So then we can't compare similarities to any countries ever because they're different countries?
Tougher than you think!
Old 11-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #6032
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
I think I speak not only for Corsi and myself, but for every other litigator on this board when I say that our lives are absolutely every bit as glamorous and exciting as you imagine.

Probably more so.
Do you get to wear a belt?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #6033
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

If folks are discounting the regimes of the 30's, what about seeing Trump as Peron (don't know about Melania as Eva though).
It's a cult of personality that survives the 'founder', and continues on as a political force.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #6034
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think I speak not only for Corsi and myself, but for every other litigator on this board when I say that our lives are absolutely every bit as glamorous and exciting as you imagine.

Probably more so.
But you don't fly in copters everywhere, so not as glamorous as a CA correct?
Old 11-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #6035
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If I had to compare Trump's "fascist" governing style to something, it would be more inline with current Middle Eastern countries or monarchies before 1918. It's all about improving his own situation, the situations of his family and close circle, and not at all about the country.

Comparing him to Hitler or Mussolini gives him more credit than he deserves, but also pushes aside the human rights issues. Trump has obviously trampled on civil rights to a degree, but nothing compared to those two. But those two actually had strategies and visions for their country. Hitler was a mad man and Mussolini was a thug, but they also cared more about their countries than themselves (albeit in a sick way). Trump doesn't care about Americans, just his own success and legacy. He has no consistent or coherent strategy or plan. He's a Ferdinand Marcos wannabe.
I agree...but think that Trump is more of a Kaiser Wilheim (insecurity in spades) that could drive his country into a disastrous situation.

The scary thing about that analogy is that its the fallout from Kaiser Wilheims choices that led to the environment that allowed the rise of Hitler.

I'm more worried about who could follow Trump if things break a certain way. A 'leader' with more competence but Fascist/Theocratic leanings would be bad

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Old 11-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #6036
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
If folks are discounting the regimes of the 30's, what about seeing Trump as Peron (don't know about Melania as Eva though).
It's a cult of personality that survives the 'founder', and continues on as a political force.
Peron is the best comparison so far. That's really good.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #6037
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Probably more so.
Can I as a pleb please have a glass of your Macallan 25?
Old 11-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #6038
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Do you get to wear a belt?
You mean, does he have to wear a belt?

Except Trump has almost no connection to the military and the American military is just generally not political at all.

Last edited by peter12; 11-12-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #6039
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You mean, does he have to wear a belt?

Except Trump has almost no connection to the military and the American military is just generally not political at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #6040
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
No Self-Respecting Lawyer Should Touch Trump’s Election-Fraud Claims
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ection/617064/

So lawyers are bringing frivolous cases, void of evidence, to courts that they must know will get thrown out. If they’re doing this on behalf of Trump, and billing him for it knowing it won’t get anywhere, are they entering into any kind of malpractice realm for not acting in a more fiduciary manner?
Closed Thread