Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #41
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

"Microsoft, you should fix the RROD."

There. The X-box 720 was my idea!
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Devils'Advocate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #42
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
The act of removing the game and putting it back in dragged the pins over the contacts, scraping off some of the oxidation, making a better connection when you put the cartridge back in. So, no, blowing didn't help, but it didn't not help...(except for the moisture from your mouth etc...)
Yeah, there are more urban myths out there that blowing got moisture on the connector and that bridged the connection from weakened pins. Then again, others say it increased oxidation.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #43
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Update:

I found someone who will fix the 360's for $60 each. He will replace the drives and it includes free "flashing" of the rom so I can play my "backups".

Looks like I'm about to get even.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #44
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Man I even blew air into the console slot...
At least you know how to show your NES a good time.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #45
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Update:

I found someone who will fix the 360's for $60 each. He will replace the drives and it includes free "flashing" of the rom so I can play my "backups".

Looks like I'm about to get even.

I thought microsoft was pretty good at detecting and banning modded consoles if you go on live?
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #46
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

So did I, it apparently depends on how and what you do with it.

I'm up and running with both consoles now. Each plays my originals and my backups.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #47
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

So I've found out why this new "method" doesn't get your console banned. Its pretty clever, those pirate types really take this stuff seriously.

Let me be clear that I do not support pirating games. The only reason CODMW 2 is so awesome is because people like me buy it, and that makes the future release of CODMW 3 all the better. While it can be fun to "stick it to the man", at the same time you're sticking it to the workers, and that's not so cool. If I'm going to play a game, I'll buy it.

Now that I've learned how to make a "stealth" backup of a game I'm not going to actually use it. I'm glad I have the knowledge though. I've played a burned game, which was first 'fixed' with abgx360, it works, and I'm pretty certain Microsoft can't detect that it is a burned copy.

I'll get even at Microsoft by buying a PS4 next generation. And I'll convince my friends to as well.

In the meantime, I have 2 Xbox 360's that work again.

The most interesting thing about my repair experience was the comments of the guy who fixed my 360's. He showed me the most common reason for the "Red Ring of Death" error and is of the view that due to the way the console is built, eventually EVERY console will fail. He says it has failure built in, but Microsoft didn't anticipate how their cheap manufacturing would haunt them so soon. He has repaired over 500 360's in Calgary and is busy all the time fixing out of warranty 360's.

He said that my replacement drives will also likely eventually fail but not within the first year or so. He says that he's certain each console will eventually get the RROD failure and he'll be happy to fix them for $60 bucks... lol...
Old 01-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #48
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
So I've found out why this new "method" doesn't get your console banned. Its pretty clever, those pirate types really take this stuff seriously.

Let me be clear that I do not support pirating games. The only reason CODMW 2 is so awesome is because people like me buy it, and that makes the future release of CODMW 3 all the better. While it can be fun to "stick it to the man", at the same time you're sticking it to the workers, and that's not so cool. If I'm going to play a game, I'll buy it.

Now that I've learned how to make a "stealth" backup of a game I'm not going to actually use it. I'm glad I have the knowledge though. I've played a burned game, which was first 'fixed' with abgx360, it works, and I'm pretty certain Microsoft can't detect that it is a burned copy.

I'll get even at Microsoft by buying a PS4 next generation. And I'll convince my friends to as well.

In the meantime, I have 2 Xbox 360's that work again.

The most interesting thing about my repair experience was the comments of the guy who fixed my 360's. He showed me the most common reason for the "Red Ring of Death" error and is of the view that due to the way the console is built, eventually EVERY console will fail. He says it has failure built in, but Microsoft didn't anticipate how their cheap manufacturing would haunt them so soon. He has repaired over 500 360's in Calgary and is busy all the time fixing out of warranty 360's.

He said that my replacement drives will also likely eventually fail but not within the first year or so. He says that he's certain each console will eventually get the RROD failure and he'll be happy to fix them for $60 bucks... lol...
even with stealthing and doing all that with abgx, Microsoft can still detect if your system is modded. Team jungle released a new firmware were its supposedly undetectable.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #49
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
even with stealthing and doing all that with abgx, Microsoft can still detect if your system is modded. Team jungle released a new firmware were its supposedly undetectable.
That's what I have on my drives. (ix 1.61)

He told me that even playing legit games I could get banned because of the firmware hack. The way I see it, I went from two non-working 360's to two that work, so if the consoles get banned, I don't really care.

In retrospect I should have left one un-flashed, but still, I'm ahead of the game.

Oh yeah, he also commented that un-flashed consoles get banned on occasion. It could be as little as a dirty laser not picking up the proper data when Microsoft sends the signal, but it does happen.

Edit: All my games are legit, so if I get banned for online play because of the flashing I'll post here to let you all know.

Last edited by Kjesse; 01-25-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #50
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can I get some contact info for the repair man? My xbox is fine right now since I use it sparingly...however once I get real deep into Mass Effect 2 I fear my drive will eventually give out.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #51
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Can I get some contact info for the repair man? My xbox is fine right now since I use it sparingly...however once I get real deep into Mass Effect 2 I fear my drive will eventually give out.
I'd like it too. My xbox currently has the video problem, I would rather have it repaired than receive a refurbed unit
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #52
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just traded off my 360 for a brand new ps3
Old 01-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #53
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I just traded off my 360 for a brand new ps3
Lucky. I was always a PS guy but for some reason decided to go XBox this time for the latest gen. I had never even heard of the phrase "Ring Of Death" before. What a joke. When you compare the two, PS3 just seems to blow out the XBox360 on everything:
Online Membership: XBox- $60, PS3- free.
Controllers: PS3- lighter, easier to hold(IMO), and don't need batteries for wireless(like you do for the XBox). Just plug it into the PS3 for a re-charge.
DVD player: XBox- regular, PS- Blue Ray
Durability: Xbox- Red Ring Of Death, need I say more? PS- Whats that?

I've actually been pretty lucky with my XBox, had er for a year and a half and still on my first one. But whenever I go to someone's house who has PS3 I get a little jealous. The worst part is I can't trade it in because the girl bought me the thing as a bday present, I'm sure she'd be insulted. Ah well, I can wait it out 2-3 more years until the next gen gets released. Then I'm back on the PS train baby!
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #54
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've always been a sony supporter, just got the 360 to play with friends and knew I could mod it right away. Lots of games that are out for both systems get a poorer rating for the ps3, its not for lack of hardware but rather I think a lack of effort and polish on some porting.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #55
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I've always been a sony supporter, just got the 360 to play with friends and knew I could mod it right away. Lots of games that are out for both systems get a poorer rating for the ps3, its not for lack of hardware but rather I think a lack of effort and polish on some porting.
Ya, I noticed that too, thats actually the main reason I wanted an XBox at the time. I played Madden 09 on both systems and thought it looked way better on XBox. Had I never walked into EA the day they were demo'ing Madden on the XBox, I'd probably be a PS3 owner right now.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 AM   #56
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Lucky. I was always a PS guy but for some reason decided to go XBox this time for the latest gen. I had never even heard of the phrase "Ring Of Death" before. What a joke. When you compare the two, PS3 just seems to blow out the XBox360 on everything:
Online Membership: XBox- $60, PS3- free.
Controllers: PS3- lighter, easier to hold(IMO), and don't need batteries for wireless(like you do for the XBox). Just plug it into the PS3 for a re-charge.
DVD player: XBox- regular, PS- Blue Ray
Durability: Xbox- Red Ring Of Death, need I say more? PS- Whats that?

I've actually been pretty lucky with my XBox, had er for a year and a half and still on my first one. But whenever I go to someone's house who has PS3 I get a little jealous. The worst part is I can't trade it in because the girl bought me the thing as a bday present, I'm sure she'd be insulted. Ah well, I can wait it out 2-3 more years until the next gen gets released. Then I'm back on the PS train baby!
I was lucky with mine too. I just started getting this sick feeling that it was going to die at any moment.

I had a ps1, ps2 and decided to go 360 because I didn't hear alot of people getting the ps3. Alot of my friends are jumping ship so I decided to go too.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #57
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

[MOD edit - link removed]

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 01-27-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #58
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
link removed
In my opinion, you have just crossed the fine line between telling people how you have modified your xbox to play illegal games and actually advertising for the dude that does it. I am not judging your actions and couldn't care less what you do with your own property. I am just saying that Microsoft obviously takes this stuff quite seriously and posting a link like that is a little dangerous.

And before your rip me a new one, I have had 2 360's die on me.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 01-27-2010 at 04:30 PM.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #59
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

No worries. If the link was over the line, so be it.

The link was not a pirate link, however.

The link was not "illegal" in that he isn't doing anything illegal. Flashing a drive is legal in Canada, even if it defeats copy protection. Bill C-61 would have changed that, but the legislation was awful and thankfully it died.

I found him because I wanted my Xbox fixed, that's it. I happened to get the drives flashed, which now I'm thinking might not have been the best idea, but at least my consoles are working.

I've found out there are several companies/individuals who fix Xbox's. For those that want to find someone, go to kijiji or read the classifieds.

EDIT: I posted the link because I was being asked for who fixes them. I now see I got a mod warning in my mailbox for "spamming advertising" and while I don't think I was spamming anything, they can do what they please here since its their website.

Last edited by Kjesse; 01-27-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #60
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well my 7th is dieing. It keeps thinking NHL 10 and Mass Effect 2 are DVD's, and not games. Funny how EA games are the only problems.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote