Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 PM   #521
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whether you think Tom Brady is the best or not, there is absolutely no one else you'd choose to start the Super Bowl than him. Maybe Peyton is better at the mental aspects, maybe Rodgers has a better arm, but when it's all on the line Brady is the one you'd want. That certainly means a lot.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:36 PM   #522
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
It can be both. Best system and best QB.
Yeah it can, and maybe that's the case here, but it just leaves it for debate when the guy can be suspended for 4 games and the team doesn't even Skip a beat. It isn't really fair to Brady, but it's something that always casts dispersions for me when the GOAT debate comes up.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 02-05-2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Loss to Buffalo.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #523
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Yeah it can, and maybe that's the case here, but it just leaves it for debate when the guy can be suspended for 4 games and the team doesn't even lose a game. It s. It isn't really fair to Brady, but it's something that always casts dispersions for me when the GOAT debate comes up.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #524
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:40 PM   #525
EricCartman
Draft Pick

Quote:
Yeah it can, and maybe that's the case here, but it just leaves it for debate when the guy can be suspended for 4 games and the team doesn't even Skip a beat. It isn't really fair to Brady, but it's something that always casts dispersions for me when the GOAT debate comes up.
They lost to the Bills 16-0 in week 4.
EricCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:43 PM   #526
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartman View Post
They lost to the Bills 16-0 in week 4.
Yeah I changed that. I had forgot about that. Point still remains though. 3-1. That trains keeps on moving and has his whole career when he's out. He's clearly an amazing QB that gets the job done year after year , and it's not his fault he's in an amazing system. It's just my opinion that if he didn't play for New England he wouldn't be in the same category as guys like Manning, Rogers, Montana, etc.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 02-05-2017 at 10:50 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #527
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I changed that. I had forgot about that.
Cool, so you're admitting you're mistaken then? It's the QB as much as the system.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:48 PM   #528
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
If you didn't know the score and just looked at the stats you'd assume the game was not even close. Really bizarre.
Brady with 62 pass attempts. Incredible especially since Ryan only had 23.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:57 PM   #529
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
How do you not just run the ball 3 times and kick a field goal after that Julio catch. There is no incremental upside to passing. A field goal wins you the Super Bowl.

Hell of a game. Had money on the Falcons but glad I got to witness greatness and a great Super Bowl.
Ok, maybe I'm just a youth coach, but I've done it for about 10 years now, I've coached offense and defense, and been a coordinator on both sides of the ball, and I can absolutely say with certainty that some coaches outsmart themselves.

Coaches are fallible like players, and sometimes coaches go against conventional wisdom. Why not run the ball three times? Because maybe your thinking that New England is going to expect that and they're going to stack as many guys in the box as possible. Do I trust my running back to take a beating? Do I trust him to be able to get through 11 guys and not get the ball stripped. If they're expecting that, then why not throw it, I might catch them in a bad defense because they're playing with conventional wisdom.

When Pete Carroll caused for a pass in the superbowl, maybe its because in his mind he was absolutely sure that the defense he was facing would be playing run strong, so maybe I'll be unconventional.

At certain times you have to make unconventional calls, or gamble.

In this case, I'm sure in his mind he thought he would catch them in a run stop defense and be able to get a surer field goal position, or better yet, maybe we score a touchdown, and kill the comeback attempt and put it away.

If a coach isn't willing to gamble, be unpredictable at times, or go for broke then he might as well stick with coaching offensive linemen.

The problem is that if you look at his body of work this year, his instincts have been bang on right for most of the season, why would he go against them now?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #530
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
He just did that. Anyone who isn't convinced he's the best of all time after this win will never be convinced.
That comeback cemented it for me, that and 5 superbowl rings.

But I still think he wants a 6th and a 7th ring. Right now he's tied with Charles Haley for the most Superbowl rings. After that the people that have won 6 and 7 (the most) are people who are either coaches or executives or players who have won rings both as players and as coaches.

I would think that he would want to get that 6th ring before he packs it it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:09 PM   #531
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Cool, so you're admitting you're mistaken then? It's the QB as much as the system.
He never will. Such an id** poster. Let him lick his tears.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:10 PM   #532
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

2017 season opener will cleary be the rematch. It is Afc east vs nfc south on the inter-conf schedule and this one a homegame for Patriots. Superbowl rematch two years in a row

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 02-05-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:13 PM   #533
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because this thread needs it:

Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2017, 11:33 PM   #534
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 minutes into the second half I was bitching to friends how this super bowl was a dud, how wrong I was. Love Brady, Love the pats.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:42 PM   #535
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

What makes this comeback more incredible was the Pats also beat the Seahawks 3 years ago. The Seahawks had like a 95% chance of winning in the dying seconds of that SB before Butler picked off Russell's pass.

And today the Falcons also had like a 95% chance of winning when they led 28-3.

And both times Brady and the Pats won. What are the chances of a team winning two games both of which with only like a 5% chance of winning?

You can get lucky once but twice?

Last edited by darklord700; 02-05-2017 at 11:45 PM.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:46 PM   #536
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Whether you think Tom Brady is the best or not, there is absolutely no one else you'd choose to start the Super Bowl than him. Maybe Peyton is better at the mental aspects, maybe Rodgers has a better arm, but when it's all on the line Brady is the one you'd want. That certainly means a lot.
Yes. Brady had to make so many plays and throws in the 4th quarter and he made them all. It was not a big play kind of comeback. The guy is just a surgeon.

And to top it off, I may be biased but I think Houston put on a hell of a Super Bowl this week.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:46 PM   #537
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I changed that. I had forgot about that. Point still remains though. 3-1. That trains keeps on moving and has his whole career when he's out. He's clearly an amazing QB that gets the job done year after year , and it's not his fault he's in an amazing system. It's just my opinion that if he didn't play for New England he wouldn't be in the same category as guys like Manning, Rogers, Montana, etc.
yeah those guys played on terrible teams lol

he is the best ever, there is no real debate...get over it
Old 02-05-2017, 11:56 PM   #538
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
yeah those guys played on terrible teams lol

he is the best ever, there is no real debate...get over it
The best is that he played with over 40 wide receivers during that time, 60 line men....and so on..
Old 02-06-2017, 12:15 AM   #539
EricCartman
Draft Pick

Quote:
IMO, he's the greatest ever for winning. He will never have the gaudy regular season stats of a Manning or Brees, but Tom Brady has championships. The sacrifice he makes for his team is enough to be the greatest. He never complains to the media that they got rid of Welker or Moss, he just continues to work on his craft tirelessly. TBs offence is one where they will pass 60 times to win a game and sometimes run 12 straight times because he makes the sacrifice and knows what's best for winning. A winning QB approaching 40 who is getting better and he's also the ultimate teammate, that's the greatest of all time right there.

As far as the system goes, when Cassel took over the Pats weren't even a playoff team. In Belichicks first year as coach Bledsoe led them to a losing record. If Belichick could replace him don't you think he'd go the Patriot way and get another younger QB in there? Pats love to get rid of aging players. Great system, greatest player ever.
EricCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:33 AM   #540
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Super Bowl records set Sunday:
- Most passing yards in a game (Tom Brady, 466)
- Most completions in a game (Tom Brady , 43)
- Most pass attempts in a game (Tom Brady, 62)
- Largest comeback (Patriots trailed by 25)
- Most offensive plays (Patriots, 93)
- Most 1st downs (Patriots, 37)
- First Super Bowl to go to overtime
What's even more nuts he did this at age 39
atb is offline   Reply With Quote