Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #5281
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Since this is a thread for speculation, a three way trade with Arizona and Anaheim makes the most sense:

To Calgary: Nick Ritchie
To Arizona: Curtis Lazar
To Anaheim: Anthony Duclair

Calgary coveted Ritchie at that draft and needs size and toughness and the scuttlebut is he's on the block. Anaheim needs a left shot to replace Ritchie, covets team speed and already has good toughness. Arizona is a dumpster fire that needs to move Duclair after his public trade demand and already has a comparable player to Ritchie in Crouse, would be able to give Lazar top 9 minutes he needs to thrive.

Too bad the teams are all in the West, if they weren't so afraid to make interdivision trades these days it makes too much sense.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #5282
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Since this is a thread for speculation, a three way trade with Arizona and Anaheim makes the most sense:

Calgary coveted Ritchie at that draft and needs size and toughness. Anaheim needs a left shot to replace Ritchie, needs speed and already has toughness. Arizona is a dumpster fire that needs to move Duclair after his public trade demand and already has a comparable player to Ritchie in Crouse.

Too bad the teams are all in the West, if they weren't so afraid to make interdivision trades these days it makes too much sense.
It makes no sense for whoever is acquiring Lazar. He’s horrible. It’s more fair if you just left it a Ritchie for Duclair deal.

Last edited by Love; 01-05-2018 at 12:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #5283
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Duclair - Hrivik - Mangiapane

Now that’s an effective 4th line in today’s NHL.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #5284
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why would Arizona want anything to do with Lazar?

They are all-in on analytics, and Lazar was one of the worst forwards on the Senators in the view of analytics, and is one of the worst forwards on the Flames in the view of analytics. Plus he is signed for an additional year at a salary higher than his cap hit. Arizona probably wouldn't even trade a 7th-round pick for Lazar.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #5285
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
It makes no sense for whoever is acquiring Lazar. He’s horrible. It’s more fair if you just left it a Ritchie for Duclair deal.
It's a futures trade of guys who are struggling in their current role/team.

Lazar has a career high of 20 points, Ritchie's in 28. Lazar's faster, Ritchie is more physical. I don't think it's that much of a reach. Maybe Calgary could chip in a conditional 6th or 7th based on performance incentives one way or another.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:55 PM   #5286
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Calgary coveted Ritchie at that draft and needs size and toughness and the scuttlebut is he's on the block. Anaheim needs a left shot to replace Ritchie, covets team speed and already has good toughness. Arizona is a dumpster fire that needs to move Duclair after his public trade demand and already has a comparable player to Ritchie in Crouse, would be able to give Lazar top 9 minutes he needs to thrive.

this makes no sense from Anaheim's POV. The other teams are trading guys that haven't delivered. Ritchie is right on track from a development point of view and clearly the Ducks are high on him still.
Why are they trading him for this type of return?
Old 01-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #5287
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Ritchie is pretty much where I would have expected him to be. He's been okay to good, whereas Lazar and Duclair are obviously struggling.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #5288
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't part of the problem with Duclair his supposed attitude issues? And his work ethic? And his lack of commitment to defence? I think that is why Duclair hasn't been working out.

IF the above is true, then I would sooner keep Lazar. Kid has a good attitude, and if he doesn't develop his scoring side, I bet he would make for an effective bottom-six type in the long run.

Duclair had one good season in the NHL (20 goals, and 44 points), but has been terrible since. He was even demoted last season to the AHL. He is like Shinkaruk in a way to me - not talented enough for the top 6, not gritty/defensively capable enough to find a role in the bottom 6. I think I would rather hold onto the current reclamation project named Lazar before giving up so soon and trying another reclamation project in Duclair.

The worst team in the NHL thinks he is not good enough to play for them. I don't see a spot open for him here either.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #5289
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It's a futures trade of guys who are struggling in their current role/team.

Lazar has a career high of 20 points, Ritchie's in 28. Lazar's faster, Ritchie is more physical. I don't think it's that much of a reach. Maybe Calgary could chip in a conditional 6th or 7th based on performance incentives one way or another.
Any GM that does that does their homework will see that Duclair and Ritchie do not have issues with talent, just consistency and work ethic. The problem is the opposite for Lazar, he works hard but the talent is simply not there.

If I'm trading for a young player there needs to be upside and Lazar's upside is most likely 3rd/4th line whereas the other two easily have enough talent to be top 6 at some point.
The Following User Says Thank You to nightfx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #5290
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Duclair - Hrivik - Mangiapane

Now that’s an effective 4th line in today’s NHL.
None of these guys are even full time NHLers yet...I would give it a shot but still
Old 01-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #5291
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfx View Post
Any GM that does that does their homework will see that Duclair and Ritchie do not have issues with talent, just consistency and work ethic. The problem is the opposite for Lazar, he works hard but the talent is simply not there.

If I'm trading for a young player there needs to be upside and Lazar's upside is most likely 3rd/4th line whereas the other two easily have enough talent to be top 6 at some point.
Are you absolutely sure it is a talent issue? Perhaps it is a confidence issue.

Remember that it wasn't long ago that there were people on this forum calling Bennett a bust, and actually saying that the kid has no IQ. Repeatedly. Ad nauseam. Anybody left here that still thinks Bennett is a talentless, brainless bust?

That is what I see with Lazar. Obviously his talent level is nowhere near Bennett, but I see a kid who has lost complete confidence and is almost playing rattled. Tough to fix him - difficult to give him more minutes until he plays himself out of it, but that is what I see with him more than a lack of talent.

FYI - at the draft, he was considered a very safe pick with high-end defensive acumen, leadership abilities and was thought of as being the 'backbone' to a future shutdown line while chipping in nicely offensively. I still think he can become that. His work ethic is there, his willingness to do whatever is asked of him is there.... he is just a rattled player in my opinion, and he just needs to start getting some bounces to start feeling comfortable out on the ice and in handling the puck.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #5292
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Are you absolutely sure it is a talent issue? Perhaps it is a confidence issue.

Remember that it wasn't long ago that there were people on this forum calling Bennett a bust, and actually saying that the kid has no IQ. Repeatedly. Ad nauseam. Anybody left here that still thinks Bennett is a talentless, brainless bust?

That is what I see with Lazar. Obviously his talent level is nowhere near Bennett, but I see a kid who has lost complete confidence and is almost playing rattled. Tough to fix him - difficult to give him more minutes until he plays himself out of it, but that is what I see with him more than a lack of talent.

FYI - at the draft, he was considered a very safe pick with high-end defensive acumen, leadership abilities and was thought of as being the 'backbone' to a future shutdown line while chipping in nicely offensively. I still think he can become that. His work ethic is there, his willingness to do whatever is asked of him is there.... he is just a rattled player in my opinion, and he just needs to start getting some bounces to start feeling comfortable out on the ice and in handling the puck.
I think it is a talent issue with Lazar. I just don't believe he is ever going to become much of anything more than what he is now.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #5293
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this has been posted but The Score writer thinks MTL should trade Max Pacioretty to the Flames in a deal involving Sam Bennett in return. Also mentioned SJ and PIT as possible destinations.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #5294
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Not sure if this has been posted but The Score writer thinks MTL should trade Max Pacioretty to the Flames in a deal involving Sam Bennett in return. Also mentioned SJ and PIT as possible destinations.
Sportsnet has an article with the laughable offer of Bennett and Dube for Pacioretty. Absolutely do not want on the Flames unless we absolutely fleece Montreal. A long term deal for Patches after next season is going to hurt whichever team signs it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #5295
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Sportsnet has an article with the laughable offer of Bennett and Dube for Pacioretty. Absolutely do not want on the Flames unless we absolutely fleece Montreal. A long term deal for Patches after next season is going to hurt whichever team signs it
Is that ever stupid. Bennett by himself would be a deal the Flames would regret. Patches won't outplay Ferland on the top line.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #5296
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading Bennett (and Dube? Haha) for Patches would be lunacy, and would in one swift blow completely destroy any faith I’d have in this organization.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #5297
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A 1 for 1 of Duclair and Lazar would never happen. Just for quick number comparison. I just feel his value is alot more then what a few people are suggesting.
Duclair 32 GP 8G 6A 14pts -5
Lazar 26 GP 0G 4A 4pts -6
Frolik 37 GP 7G 8A 15pts -3
The Following User Says Thank You to Braden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #5298
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree, would not trade Bennett for Pacioretty straight up (let alone include Dube or any other prospect).
Old 01-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #5299
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd trade Bennett for Brendan Gallagher & Karl Alzner.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #5300
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I'd trade Bennett for Brendan Gallagher & Karl Alzner.
Nope, not a chance.

Gallagher is good, Bennett will be better, and Alzner is awful.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread