Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #5201
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Is Regehr really joining the organization in some capacity? If so, I think we pretty much have to stop making fun of the Oilers' strategy of filling their hockey ops/coaching staff with former players.
Why exactly? If he's qualified then why shouldn't he be a part of the organization?
Old 01-17-2016, 02:47 PM   #5202
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Why exactly? If he's qualified then why shouldn't he be a part of the organization?
Same with the Oilers guys, I guess. It's not like we gave them the benefit of the doubt though, even if it turned out badly. Every hire by them was pretty much met with a resounding "lol Oilers" from Flames fans since the mid 90s.

Not saying he's not the best guy for the job, I just think it's a pretty big coincidence that 3-4 former players were all the best guys for the job. I'm probably reading too much into it.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #5203
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Well people hire people they have existing relationship with. The thing about the Oilers is guys have proven themselves to be incompetent and instead of being fired are given promotions.
Entirely different.
It is always OK to make fun ot he Oilers. Always
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #5204
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every team hires alumni.

The Oilers have made hiring alumni their organizational persona.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #5205
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Same with the Oilers guys, I guess. It's not like we gave them the benefit of the doubt though, even if it turned out badly. Every hire by them was pretty much met with a resounding "lol Oilers" from Flames fans since the mid 90s.

Not saying he's not the best guy for the job, I just think it's a pretty big coincidence that 3-4 former players were all the best guys for the job. I'm probably reading too much into it.
As of today the Flames have only Conroy (AGM) and Gelinas (Assistant coach). It is not like they have alumni as the president or GM like the Oilers have for the past decade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #5206
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You guys are of course right. Don't mind me, I've had the most stressful series of days in my adult life this weekend. I'm beyond agitated, I think I should probably step away from the keyboard, maybe all of civilization and become a hermit.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:24 PM   #5207
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like the legendary hermit of Leaky Lake?

I've always thought guys like regehr and pronger would be good mentors for young defenders even if it's just to help with meanness and positioning
Old 01-18-2016, 05:52 PM   #5208
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wills was just on the FAN, saying that he was told that the Oilers offered RNH for Jones and that the Preds countered with Draisaitl, which the Oilers rejected.

If true, Chiarelli is an idiot.

Sure, some people would argue that Draisaitl is a better prospect than Jones. I disagree, personally - I think Jones will have the better career. But that doesn't matter. The point is that they are very similar, and both on ELCs.

But the biggest thing is that that trade would have made the Oilers a better hockey team!

They have McDavid up front. Would I rather have Draisaitl than RNH? Sure. But McDavid/RNH is not a bad 1-2 punch at C. Plus Hallsy and Ebs. (lol)

Then they would have also had Nurse, Jones and Klefbom as a trio to build around on the backend. And that is a way more balanced team going forward.

Huge fail by the Oilers if what Wills said is accurate.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #5209
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^^ not sure I fully agree. I agree with the principal of what you are saying, but if the Oilers have decided at this point Draisaitl is the young centre they value most and RNH is the guy they willing to part with, they should stick to their guns.

RNH will net them what they need on the back end at some point. The fact they were willing to part with him shows the right thought process. It's actually good they didn't jump at the trade that was available now and move a player they'd prefer to keep. The gave the assets to get what they want on the back end, now they just need to patient for the right deal and partner who will give them what they want for the player they want to give up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #5210
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Instead of paying the price for a quality player, they cheaped out and didn't get the good player. Now they will only be able to get an okay player. Hamonic is a decent #3/4, which would be a possible piece for RNH, but he isn't a potential #1.

Oilers going to Oil.

If the Flames had McDavid, RNH, and Draisaitl down the middle and needed a D-man as badly as Edmonton does, I would be fine with using one of those guys in a deal. RNH works easily as a 2nd line C, not so much as a 3rd line C.

Just like last year with Hamilton and Reinhart, they didn't pay for the quality asset and spent almost the same amount on an inferior guy.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Old 01-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #5211
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

plus, RNH and Draisaitl will be even more expendable after they win the draft lottery and take Matthews.....
Old 01-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #5212
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
RNH will net them what they need on the back end at some point.

A player comparable to Jones?

Doubtful. Players like that rarely become available.

I think CG hit the nail on the head. They will ultimately make a deal for a 3/4 guy and continue to be a terribly un-balanced team.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #5213
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^^^^ not sure I fully agree. I agree with the principal of what you are saying, but if the Oilers have decided at this point Draisaitl is the young centre they value most and RNH is the guy they willing to part with, they should stick to their guns.

RNH will net them what they need on the back end at some point. The fact they were willing to part with him shows the right thought process. It's actually good they didn't jump at the trade that was available now and move a player they'd prefer to keep. The gave the assets to get what they want on the back end, now they just need to patient for the right deal and partner who will give them what they want for the player they want to give up.
I respect the 'sticking to their guns' point.

But they are taking a risk with the bolded. Sure, they can continue to use RNH as bait. But trades like these don't come around every day.

Jones is a stud prospect and was only going to be available for another stud prospect. RNH, at full market price of $6M per, isn't going to get them a stud - , more likely a 3/4 guy with a bigger cap hit (like Hamonic, as CagedGreat suggested).

They had a chance to round out the core, and said no.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #5214
Samuelsson
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I dunno, I mean it's not like the Oilers have an abundance of high-quality young forwards and lack a plethora of actual NHL-quality defenceman, let alone one of the best young defencemen in the league and likely to be so for the next 15 years. Ah, no, wait a second....

Either way, Oilers gonna oil, and we gonna lol.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #5215
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah Drasaitl for Jones is a good deal for the Oilers. Drasaitl is a good centreman, but Nuge provides a little more experience to that centre role anyways. You don't want an inexperienced McDavid and Drasaitl as your 1-2 right off the bat, so I would prefer McDavid and Nuge anyways if I was Chia
Old 01-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #5216
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I respect the 'sticking to their guns' point.

But they are taking a risk with the bolded. Sure, they can continue to use RNH as bait. But trades like these don't come around every day.

Jones is a stud prospect and was only going to be available for another stud prospect. RNH, at full market price of $6M per, isn't going to get them a stud - , more likely a 3/4 guy with a bigger cap hit (like Hamonic, as CagedGreat suggested).

They had a chance to round out the core, and said no.
Opportunity cost of wasting another season waiting for someone to give you a favourable trade offer.

That aspect I don't think can be understated.

The Oilers can't wait for a draft pick defender to turn into a top pairing guy when McDavid is 24/25 and hall is 29. And they need...at least 3 potential top pairing guys at this point. Adding Jones would've just been the first move in a concerted effort to gain a respectable blueline, not the only move.

Oilers gonna Oil.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #5217
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Edmonton should offer Nurse and Yakapov for Weber and a 2nd.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #5218
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
yes they should, but why should Nashville accept?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #5219
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That would be so, so bad for Nashville. Nurse might only be a 3/4 and Yakupov is Yakupov. All that for a #1 guy like Weber?

I've said it before, but I really don't see another team lining up to help Edmonton solve their problems. If they want a #1 guy, they will pay dearly. RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Nurse... these guys won't cut it IMO. Well maybe RNH/Eberle+2106-1st or something, but the others are just magic beans. I'm assuming Hall and Draisaitl are untouchable at this point.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #5220
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
More like Hall for Weber.
Closed Thread