Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #481
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

the amount of people who wanted to lynch Caryk, and Hoffman by association, was pretty high, even in this thread. seems everyone either assumed or wanted to believe the allegations were all true.

with this, hopefully we'll begin to see some of the truth as to what's going on..
imagine if it was Melnyk all this time?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #482
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure how karlssons know caryk did this. Sounds like it’s a guess, make the accusation a legal matter to get identity of culprit, and if it’s not caryk...well she wasn’t well liked anyway.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #483
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Applying for disclosure is a standard part of the legal process.
This doesn't seem like that though. Based only on what I've been reading from people who seem to know far more about the legal aspects of all of this, they aren't even at the point of discovery in that case - Caryk hasn't even filed any statement of defence yet, apparently.

Norwich orders are intended to compel a third party to produce data/evidence in prelude to suing a second party. In this case, the Karlsson's would be the third party. So one theory put forward is that Caryk wants that data to determine who the "real gunman" is in preparation of suing them for defamation.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #484
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
This doesn't seem like that though. Based only on what I've been reading from people who seem to know far more about the legal aspects of all of this, they aren't even at the point of discovery in that case - Caryk hasn't even filed any statement of defence yet, apparently.

Norwich orders are intended to compel a third party to produce data/evidence in prelude to suing a second party. In this case, the Karlsson's would be the third party. So one theory put forward is that Caryk wants that data to determine who the "real gunman" is in preparation of suing them for defamation.
I don't think there is a statement of defence in a peace bond application (just like a defendant charged with an offence doesn't file a defence).

Norwich orders are sought when an action hasn't even been commenced yet. Typically it is used in a civil case where you think a third party has information that needs to be preserved. I actually have not seen it done in a peace bond application.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #485
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #486
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Grizzly bear underwear!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #487
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Well... soap opera's DO tend to feature a wealthy villain.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #488
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Maybe it was Karlsson and Hoffman secretly working together to engineer their trades out of Ottawa.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #489
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of me thinks if Caryk is vindicated it would be a good thing because maybe in the future the mob would hesitate before vilifying people based on one-sided allegations and hearsay. But of course that'll never happen. Outrage culture is here to stay.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #490
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Outrage culture is here to stay.
Indeed. Just look at people who get angry at players for desiring to exercise their free agency rights.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #491
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Part of me thinks if Caryk is vindicated it would be a good thing because maybe in the future the mob would hesitate before vilifying people based on one-sided allegations and hearsay. But of course that'll never happen. Outrage culture is here to stay.
See: Jian Ghomeshi.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #492
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And unflattering photos. Don’t forget the photos
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #493
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Indeed. Just look at people who get angry at players for desiring to exercise their free agency rights.
Yeah, because a single post complaining about a free agent is pretty much the same as half the country vilifying the wife of a hockey player.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #494
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

More detail in this story:

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/...ng-allegations

Caryk has filed an affidavit this month swearing she did not do what she was accused of. The document is reportedly 75 pages long (I assume this would be with attached exhibits) and sets out her version of "a timeline of what she knew and when she knew it."

Perhaps some people were too quick to jump to conclusions?

Though, again, I would be quick to point out - just because someone puts forth a sworn document that does not by itself tell you what is the actual truth. If nothing else, maybe this story will continue to unfold and serve as a very good cautionary tale about why online mob 'justice' is often not justice at all.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #495
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post

Caryk has filed an affidavit this month swearing she did not do what she was accused of. The document is reportedly 75 pages long (I assume this would be with attached exhibits) and sets out her version of "a timeline of what she knew and when she knew it."

Though, again, I would be quick to point out - just because someone puts forth a sworn document that does not by itself tell you what is the actual truth. If nothing else, maybe this story will continue to unfold and serve as a very good cautionary tale about why online mob 'justice' is often not justice at all.
understatement of the year in the article

"It hasn’t been easy. You don’t wish this upon anyone. The comments were, and have been horrendous, and we haven’t had a chance to defend ourselves until this point.”

Caryk says the allegations have caused “severe” damage to both her well-being and reputation.
“Of course, this damage is not comparable to the hurt and suffering experienced by Ms. Karlsson, having lost her baby, and being made the subject of the harassment and cyberbullying,” Caryk said.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #496
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Thought that was Big Ears Teddy?
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #497
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Who really knows at this point. On one hand the accusations are so outlandish it's hard to imagine anyone coming forward publicly unless their legal team felt they had concrete evidence. Then you have other wives also echoing her comments that maybe Caryk isn't a very nice person. I believe in everyone having their day in court so I'm willing to sit back and let this unfold.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #498
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Though, again, I would be quick to point out - just because someone puts forth a sworn document that does not by itself tell you what is the actual truth.
THIS! As someone who has been through a very messy divorce and thus has been through the court process extensively, this hits the nail on the head!

My ex filed many affidavit's(she still does for our custody battle) and it's ful. of lies... My ex lies in court all the time and there are no repercussions unless I can actually prove her lies which can be tough when people make allegations on hearsay.
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #499
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
What about Ghomeshi? He apologized in one case in a plea bargain. In the other trials, the Judge could not find guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Many women came forward publicly and anonymously. I suspect he got off lightly.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/kathryn-borel...case-1.3577280

Last edited by troutman; 07-20-2018 at 04:46 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #500
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, because a single post complaining about a free agent is pretty much the same as half the country vilifying the wife of a hockey player.
In other words, "outrage culture" is only a problem when you aren't the one outraged?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post: