Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #481
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
so 98.1% don't support it then
I think you've confused his quote of "Arab Muslims" for "all Muslims", unless the middle east had a massive population explosion I missed.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:22 AM   #482
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only number I care about is how many refugees support ISIS, which I suspect is a lot smaller than the general population.

In Nazi Germany, a lot of Germans supported the Nazis, but there were still thousands of that didn't and were legitimate refugees. All this talk about Arabs that support ISIS is just a diversion.

The decision to exclude unaccompanied men from the year end deadline should help alleviate the security issue as more ISIS supporters tend to be single men.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #483
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours.
Speaking of which, where would one go if they are willing to donate time say to teaching a ESL class or something to help. I'm sure there are more than a few people on here that would like to help out but might not be sure where to start.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #484
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I think some of you would be shocked at how much support IS actually has. It's ridiculous.
Do you have a source?

I am interested in actually knowing.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #485
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Do you have a source?

I think one of the problems is the fact that we don't know that answer. In one Vice article, the author noted that the government first predicted supporters/militants in the tens of thousands, but have since re-estimated into the hundreds of thousands.

Bill Maher's guest the other night (the one with Chrystia Freeland) said Turkey, a moderate islamic country, has roughly 6 million (8% of the country) supporters of ISIL and its mandate (according to opinion polls).
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #486
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Well, they are also taking 2 years to process and bring those 30,000 refugees.

Is there a hint in there about the scope and timing it takes to screen/process that many people given this situation?
Fair point (although I personally don't have much of an opinion on the numbers/timetable). That hint was more directed at those who feel we should be afraid of bringing in Syrians in general.

It's also a bit misleading to compare those numbers since people from Iraq and Syria are mostly coming in on their own here in Europe. What those numbers mean in reality are highly debatable. It's more the principle that matters here.

On the timetable I fail to see what's so difficult. It's not like they'll just start showing up by the thousands unannounced like they're doing here in Europe. In here some random small border village might suddenly get a hundred refugees in a night. (Not to mention the dead refugees found in an abandoned trucks, or washing up on the shores of Greece.)

Yes the refugee situation it's chaotic and not without it's problems, but it's really hard to see what's so damned hard with Trudeau has promised to do. We're dealing with it. You can deal with it.

(And let's not even start on how many refugees Lebanon and Turkey have to deal with.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #487
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Do you have a source?

A few different media have cited this survey, from a non-partisan group. The Turkey numbers that Mahar cited are likely from here.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...dain-for-isis/

Ezra Levant then added up the numbers to see what 8% of Turkey, and 9% of Pakistan (etc) actually means in terms of actual people. He claims these numbers suggest it totals 60,000,000 (Sixty Million) people who support ISIS.

http://www.therebel.media/pew_poll_m...sdain_for_isis
Old 11-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #488
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Aren't combat aged males the people most at risk in Syria? No idea if true, but I have mixed feelings on this approach.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #489
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me if you are going to have a no man policy it really should be families only. Unless it can be shown that women are at more risk currently then men in camps. I would definaty support a children and their parent(s) policy a lot more than a no men policy.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #490
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
A few different media have cited this survey, from a non-partisan group. The Turkey numbers that Mahar cited are likely from here.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...dain-for-isis/

Ezra Levant then added up the numbers to see what 8% of Turkey, and 9% of Pakistan (etc) actually means in terms of actual people. He claims these numbers suggest it totals 60,000,000 (Sixty Million) people who support ISIS.

http://www.therebel.media/pew_poll_m...sdain_for_isis
Interesting links, and actually staggering numbers if true.

However, I think ucb was aksing how large ISIS' current fighting force is and if the number has peaked, declined, or is rising.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #491
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is worthy to add as part of the discussion:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedi...ight-1.3326072

Quote:
Simply put, the fear is that among the refugees will lurk terrorist agents who are coming to Canada to do great harm. But the argument makes little sense. Why would a terrorist spend two years in a refugee camp or risk death on the open seas when he or she could simply buy a plane ticket and fly here?

As Catherine Solyom of The Montreal Gazette points out, those who carried out the attacks in Paris were Belgian or French citizens and could, if they wished, come to Canada without even a visa.

It is important for us to understand that any refugees coming to Canada will come from refugee camps in Lebanon and Jordan. They are not from among the boat people or the migrants walking across Europe.

This is not the first time Canadians and Americans have worried about sleeper terrorists hiding in a migrant population. In 1938, more than 80 per cent of Americans believed that Jews should not be admitted to the US, as they might be Nazi agents, spies or communists.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #492
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Aren't combat aged males the people most at risk in Syria? No idea if true, but I have mixed feelings on this approach.
I can't imagine this is really the best way to combat ISIS anymore....take all the women and leave the military aged men. Just more lonely psychopaths looking for something to do.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #493
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the human face of this crisis - which is often thought of in abstract.

Refugees arriving in Calgary today:

From Annalise Klingbell of the Herald on twitter
Old 11-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #494
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I can't imagine this is really the best way to combat ISIS anymore....take all the women and leave the military aged men. Just more lonely psychopaths looking for something to do.
In an entirely pragmatic, yet Canadian-centric, way leaving the fighting aged males there prevents their radicalization in Canada. Keep the fight in the war zone is probably the gamble.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #495
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
This is worthy to add as part of the discussion:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedi...ight-1.3326072
There was a fantastic segment on last week tonight with John Oliver going over the objections.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #496
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Proud moment for all Calgarians with the warm welcome some of the refugees received.

Quote:
There, on the other side of the arrival doors leading from Canada customs, was a veritable welcome wagon made up of people with no reason to be there, except pure human decency and empathy for refugees made controversial through no fault of their own.

Colourful flags and signs written in both English and Arabic welcomed the new Calgarians, while piles of clothing, stuffed toys and snacks stood by in case they were needed to comfort and feed the group, following a long flight from Frankfurt
Quote:
I’m in Canada,” said one little refugee boy, clutching a new toy truck and beaming at all the attention

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/11/24...ake-city-proud
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #497
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
To me if you are going to have a no man policy it really should be families only. Unless it can be shown that women are at more risk currently then men in camps. I would definaty support a children and their parent(s) policy a lot more than a no men policy.
It's been pretty well documented that women in refugee camps are at a much higher risk of experiencing violence.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #498
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see more pictures of Syrians arriving in Canada if anyone knows where to look.

At the same time, I realize that respecting their privacy is important and we don't want to be in their faces so blatantly, but seeing how happy they are in those pictures made my day.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #499
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh Perfect, now is can make a roadside car bomb....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #500
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I would love to see more pictures of Syrians arriving in Canada if anyone knows where to look.

At the same time, I realize that respecting their privacy is important and we don't want to be in their faces so blatantly, but seeing how happy they are in those pictures made my day.
As far as I know, they have not begun to arrive yet. The pictures above are of refugees who have been in the application process for about 1.5 years and are sponsored by family already living in Canada.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote