Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #461
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I really hope this Wideman suspension doesn't make Treliving decide to keep Russell instead of trading him at the deadline.
I'm not even sure he's on the market, barring some team over paying for him.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:02 PM   #462
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Uh oh...

Rick Westhead @rwesthead
The NHL's heralded concussion protocol in the Dennis Wideman case wasn't followed. The concussion spotter called down to the Calgary bench.
Source: According to the NHL protocol, Wideman should then have been taken to quiet, distraction-free place & examined by doctor. He wasn't.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 05:03 PM   #463
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzz View Post
CP kills me, so many butt hurt grown men, super upset. 20 games is great,
I wish we were all as wise and mature as you are, then maybe we would understand. Maybe you can be our guide on this journey?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #464
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Uh oh...

Rick Westhead @rwesthead
The NHL's heralded concussion protocol in the Dennis Wideman case wasn't followed. The concussion spotter called down to the Calgary bench.
Source: According to the NHL protocol, Wideman should then have been taken to quiet, distraction-free place & examined by doctor. He wasn't.
The bad PR I mentioned previously.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #465
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Uh oh...

Rick Westhead @rwesthead
No surprise there. It is decidedly optimistic to expect a team to take one of their important players out of the lineup in a game they think is itself important. Disappointed the Flames didn't do the right thing, but not surprised. The league needs to give the spotter the power to force the player into the concussion protocol against the team and player's will.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #466
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

TSN's sports law analyst:

Eric Macramalla @EricOnSportsLaw
Assuming suspension is appealed expect NHLPA to rely on headshot to explain uncharacteristic contact made by Wideman.
NHLPA may pull out all the stops, including scientific evidence that could explain why Wideman did what he did following headshot thereby obviating deliberate contact.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:10 PM   #467
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They official was dropping the puck two minutes later and he is the one who is supposedly in the hospital all night and still injured.

Maybe someone should be watching the officials
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #468
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
> 90 per cent of fans and hockey watchers outside Calgary think Wideman's hit was intentional. Please give me some rational explanation why that figure would be any different for Calgary fans if Wideman was playing for the Hurricanes.
Citation needed for your first sentence. The rest is irrelevant. What 90% of the rest of the hockey world and 50% of the Flames hockey world think or don't think has zero bearing on what I think. You're so smart and powerful and not a homer, why can't the same be true for me, even though we disagree? Look at all the posts in here glad that he's off the roster. No one likes Wideman - we barely like the Flames right now. Homerism doesn't enter into it for me and it's insulting and flabbergastingly lazy to imply otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I can only surmise that fans are either bi-polar or it's just a sign of the internet times that people love to be outraged. I could quote hundreds of posts from fans at this site asking for Wideman to be benched, traded, banished to the AHL. This isn't a small group of fans as almost everyone here is guilty of saying something along these lines this season including me.

Fast forward and the guy gets a 20 game suspension that most in the hockey world have deemed fair and the same fans that wanted him anywhere but on the Flames bench are outraged like someone just robbed the Flames of a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

The decision has been made and barring an appeal it is what it is. Time to look forward to tonight's game and the rest of the season.
Odd post. Why can't a person want Wideman off the roster and also feel that the punishment is too harsh? Do you have such a black in white world view that you believe one can't look at a scenario objectively without consideration of how much they like the person in question? Who is talking about the Stanley Cup? Has anyone in this thread or the other seriously objected to a suspension because it makes the Flames a worse team? I've read way too many of the posts in here and I've seen none.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #469
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suspension will be reduced by a third party...PA just needs to show other incidents that got ZERO games and compare to others in history that have gotten lower amounts. You can't just decide to one day "send a message"

The NHL is so chicken #### here they put it in somebody else's hands
Old 02-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #470
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Willie Mitchell @Willie_Mitch33
Feel bad for Wideman.Clearly not himself going to bench & puts hands up as he runs into someone(ref)no intent @FriedgeHNIC #rule40.3 or less
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #471
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They official was dropping the puck two minutes later and he is the one who is supposedly in the hospital all night and still injured.

Maybe someone should be watching the officials
And, it just had to be this month right after that concussion movie with Will Smith comes out, that a otherwise NHL vet with 800+ games and a clean score card randomly clocks (took those words from another post earlier) a linesman for no reason... what a mess. Right after all the John Scott drama (/ feel good story?) too.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #472
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

While this doesn't look good on the Flames, players on all teams go to the bench shaken up all the time without being taken to the back.

Not saying it's a best practice, but an industry standard practice that should change. Just as Wideman is being singled out for an incident not very different than several others, I hope the Flames aren't singled out in the same way.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #473
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like this is the NHLPA's medical evidence:

Rick Westhead @rwesthead
After the game, Wideman was diagnosed with a concussion by the Flames team doctor: source
Old 02-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #474
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #475
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Suspension video (embedding nhlvideos no longer works since they updated nhl.com)

https://www.nhl.com/news/dennis-wide...ed/c-278258934
Old 02-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #476
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Uh oh...

Rick Westhead @rwesthead

This has been my issue all along. If Wideman was in fact "woozy" the concussion protocol should have been followed.

The fact that it was not followed, particularly if the "concussion spotter" - and I'm not sure who this person is, an NHL employee? A Flames employee? - called the bench for Wideman to undergo the protocol and this call was ignored, I would be very, very okay with members of the coaching staff, up to and including Hartley, getting fired over this.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #477
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

The nhl looks worse on this than the dumb John Scott fiasco imo.

Widemans wtf moment
Then the refs are out for blood
Then a suspension that seems to say 'we can't decide what happened but people are pissy so we'll just react to that'
And now a concussion drama

Apparently the last week to think this one through still wasn't enough.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #478
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

From the NHL suspension video:

NHL acknowledges Wideman being concussed but says that doesn't excuse his action

Wideman by his own admission refuses medical treatment multiple times

Wideman showed awareness by tapping his stick on the ice to alert his team mates that he is coming off the ice

Wideman deliberately hit the linesman with force, wasn't accident

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-03-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #479
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Looks like this is the NHLPA's medical evidence:

Rick Westhead @rwesthead
After the game, Wideman was diagnosed with a concussion by the Flames team doctor: source
Well isn't that convenient... Sounds shady to me but I guess we will never know.

Last edited by dissentowner; 02-03-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #480
Passe La Puck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Suspension video (embedding nhlvideos no longer works since they updated nhl.com)

https://www.nhl.com/news/dennis-wide...ed/c-278258934
It's interesting that the NHL intentionally avoids showing alternate video angles which make the incident look much less severe. No matter which side you take, you can't just look at half the "evidence".
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Passe La Puck For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread