Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #4641
mrchristy31
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Chicago is closer to winnipeg than calgary.

Chicago to Winnipeg: ~1,150 kms vs ~1,200 kms for winni-Calgary.
Looking at the state of the franchises and Toews comments about the team's firesale. It has more to do with moving to a contender (disputable).
Old 12-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #4642
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hell if we can get Toews while unloading Lucic there is no need to move Backlund. Just roll ultra deep center lines:

Johnny-Toews-Lindy
Tkachuk-Monahan-Mangiapane
Bennett-Backlund-Dube

Personally I would prefer to try and swing at Kane and move Johnny lol.
Oh hell no. If you go after Kane you absolutely keep Johnny. Those two on a line would be unstoppable no matter who plays up the middle. I have no interest in Toews, he is ridiculously overpayed for what he is. Great leader and a decent centre but not at 10.5M. Kane on the other hand..
Old 12-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #4643
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchristy31 View Post
That would be a dream, I don't see Kane agreeing to a move to Calgary however. The reason I suggested Toews, is being a Winnipeg boy, he might accept to finish his career a quick 2 hour flight from home.

Toews home is Chicago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2020, 09:54 PM   #4644
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Toews home is Chicago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s also Winnnipeg though... actually I don’t know, I haven’t asked him.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:01 AM   #4645
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wasn't the Toews and/or Kane to Calgary rumours done to death about 250 pages back? I know we are short on rumours but lets at least talk about Jankowski for a bit, oh wait...........
Old 12-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #4646
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/dec-...ted-in-hanifin

Not a real rumor, but I think we lose a Hanifin for Kase trade.

Kase+Strudnika might be worth considering.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 08:52 AM   #4647
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Kase, but not straight across for Hanifin, especially when you factor in Kase's remaining contact and inability to be healthy.
Boston would need a pretty significant add.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #4648
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kase and Carlo for Hanifin works cap wise with the Flames adding 500k in total cap but also adding another contract to their roster. No they would need to shed something small or bury someone to get Kylington signed at the minimum
Old 12-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #4649
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.thefourthperiod.com/dec-...ted-in-hanifin

Not a real rumor, but I think we lose a Hanifin for Kase trade.

Kase+Strudnika might be worth considering.
How come you don't consider it a real rumor? Pagnotta has been fairly reliable I thought.

Certainly a much better rumor than anything we get from Eklund, Dicklund, otherbodypartlund, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #4650
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin is the best player in those deals, I see no reason why Calgary makes those trades.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 09:16 AM   #4651
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
How come you don't consider it a real rumor? Pagnotta has been fairly reliable I thought.

Certainly a much better rumor than anything we get from Eklund, Dicklund, otherbodypartlund, etc.
No slight meant against Pagnotta, just that he never said Hanifin for Kase in the post, just that each team had interest in the other player. So it's not so much a trade rumor as it is rumblings of talks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #4652
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No slight meant against Pagnotta, just that he never said Hanifin for Kase in the post, just that each team had interest in the other player. So it's not so much a trade rumor as it is rumblings of talks.
Exactly. One is cost controlled for a few more years, the other is an RFA. Scales are pretty tilted one way.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:36 AM   #4653
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wtf is Boston adding to get acquire a #3 who was playing like a #2 come playoff time? Because an injury prone middle 6 winger isn’t enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #4654
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Wtf is Boston adding to get acquire a #3 who was playing like a #2 come playoff time? Because an injury prone middle 6 winger isn’t enough.
A 1st and a 2nd would be the pieces they’d need to add, but more importantly why would Calgary do it? It makes them worse next season, a season in which they are trying to compete for the Stanley Cup.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:35 AM   #4655
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Hanifin is the best player in those deals, I see no reason why Calgary makes those trades.
There is one big reason that exists and that’s the expansion draft. The Flames will likely protect only 3 defenseman and I don’t see Hanifin making the cut. So the Flames could potentially lose him for nothing or try to recoup something for him.

I’ve been thinking about a trade that could work for Hanifin for quite a while and the only one I could think of that’ll work for both sides is an expansion protected prospect. So if Boston is looking at Hanifin, maybe a framework around one their top blue chippers could work. Not sure if Jack Studnicka or Vaakanainen are expansion draft protected, but if he is, these could be the type of players maybe Treliving is targeting.

Last edited by Classic_Sniper; 12-10-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:35 AM   #4656
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People are way overvaluing Hanifan. He is exceptionally mediocre.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mitch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #4657
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
There is one big reason that exists and that’s the expansion draft. The Flames will likely protect only 3 defenseman and I don’t see Hanifin making the cut. So the Flames could potentially lose him for nothing or try to recoup something for him.

I’ve been thinking about a trade that could work for Hanifin for quite a while and the only one I could think of that’ll work for both sides is an expansion protected prospect. So if Boston is looking at Hanifin, maybe a framework around one their top blue chippers could work. Not sure if Jack Studnicka or Vaakanainen are expansion draft protected, but if he is, these could be the type of players maybe Treliving is targeting.
Vaakanainen would be a huge fail. He'd be like 7th on our LD depth chart even without Hanifin. We do not need more LD.

Strudnika is a maybe. I don't see how he's going to be better than Jankowski, and I would not make a Hanifin-Janko trade if my life depended on it.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #4658
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
A 1st and a 2nd would be the pieces they’d need to add, but more importantly why would Calgary do it? It makes them worse next season, a season in which they are trying to compete for the Stanley Cup.
The only thing I can come up with is the backup plan of signing another D, like Vatanen. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense at all.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #4659
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Vaakanainen would be a huge fail. He'd be like 7th on our LD depth chart even without Hanifin. We do not need more LD.

Strudnika is a maybe. I don't see how he's going to be better than Jankowski, and I would not make a Hanifin-Janko trade if my life depended on it.
I don’t think you’re getting my point. If you trade one LD, then you’re down one. But if you’re getting one back, then it’s a wash. The Flames have 4 legit defensemen they’ll have to expose by the end of the season, if the Flames keep Hanifin, then they’ll likely lose him for nothing in the expansion draft in July.

Is that scenario better than to lose him for this season, but pick up one or two expansion protected blue chip prospects who you can keep for years/decades? I’m not saying the Flames should definitely go this route. But it’s certainly something Treliving has to explore for asset management purposes.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #4660
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Chicago is closer to winnipeg than calgary.

Chicago to Winnipeg: ~1,150 kms vs ~1,200 kms for winni-Calgary.
Not that it even matters. Most players travel using flying machines these days. Home is never that far away. Assuming he even considerers Winnipeg home. He has lived outside of Winnipeg for 15 or of his 32 years, and all of his adult years in Chicago.

I'd take Kane over Toews at this point though. A line with Gaudreau and Kane would be killer. I know some people assume that Kane, being an American that plays in a large market wouldn't choose to go to Calgary, and that is a possibility, but I don't think it would be a given that he wouldn't.

The guy is from Buffalo and seems to spend a lot of his off-time there. It's not a large and exciting city. Plus he played junior in Canada, so I wouldn't say for sure that playing out of a Canadian city would be an issue for him. I think he just wants to win and play meaningful hockey.

While Calgary being a current contender is not a guarantee, I think they fall into the large range of teams that could complete. He could definitely help improve that, which I think is important to players like him. He wants to be the key guy.

I also think he was genuinely honoured when Gaudreau stated Kane was his favourite player and who he looked up to and wanted to emulate. They seemed to get along well at the All-Star game, so maybe he would give it a shot in Calgary.