Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #4561
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

She’s not invulnerable, but the Frey-method seems like it would work just fine. Put on a random face - get inside - kill Cersei. Getting slammed against walls head-first and stab wounds to the gut also haven’t stopped her yet.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #4562
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
That's a great idea. I bet you're wrong. Methinks Arya's gonna sit this one out with Gendry back in Winterfell because... whatever silly reason they come up with.

I do hope you're right though!
Maybe shes pregnant and decides she's done her part and will sit out the next battle. Would take a lot of time to recover at Winterfell and march south.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #4563
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cersi is at the top the 'list'. Arya's not hanging back in Winterfell.
It's not unreasonable to assume she might die trying

I had assumed she would use Jamie's face, after he died, and get to Cersi that way, but I expect Arya has had had her big moment now.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 05-01-2019 at 10:36 AM.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:23 AM   #4564
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I had assumed she would use Jamie's face, after he died, and get to Cersi that way, but I expect Arya has had had her big moment now.
She still might. Jaime doesn't have to be dead for Arya to use his face.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #4565
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think GoT is going to end like LOTR, a really drawn out epilogue with the Hobbits returning to the shire to find an enfeebled Saruman running amok, who then gets stomped by the returning battle hardened hobbits.

Cersei is being built as the big bad queen in the south, but she has no allies and has to rely on pirates and sellswords, her family's army has been at war most of the series and must be exhausted. Jon, Sam and Dany probably won't have to do much politicking to get the reach and dorne on their side (and whatever happened to the stormlands army?). The pirates and sellswords will likely bail at the prospect of facing 3 armies plus 1-2 dragons and the Lannister forces might just surrender before any bloodshed occurs.

Last edited by Matata; 05-01-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #4566
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #4567
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest cause for modest expectations about the King's Landing showdown is how uninspired the bad guys are. Okay, Cersei is great. But Qyburn has no apparent agenda or arc, the Mountain doesn't even talk, and Euron is probably the lamest character in the entire series - he's certainly the worst adaptation from the book to the show. Book Euron is a dark, terrifyingly ambitious, absolutely dead-serious killer. Show Euron has all the menace and gravitas of the drummer from Motorhead on a drinking binge.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #4568
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I think GoT is going to end like LOTR
Pillow fight on a bed, except everybody is naked?
Old 05-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #4569
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I think GoT is going to end like LOTR, a really drawn out epilogue with the Hobbits returning to the shire to find an enfeebled Saruman running amok, who then gets stomped by the returning battle hardened hobbits.

Cersei is being built as the big bad queen in the south, but she has no allies and has to rely on pirates and sellswords, her family's army has been at war most of the series and must be exhausted. Jon, Sam and Dany probably won't have to do much politicking to get the reach and dorne on their side (and whatever happened to the stormlands army?). The pirates and sellswords will likely bail at the prospect of facing 3 armies plus 1-2 dragons and the Lannister forces might just surrender before any bloodshed occurs.
It actually would be kind of interesting to have the remainder of the events play out like this: a denouement, rather than Cersei as a big bad.

However, the same director has been tasked with episode 5 as episode 3. He did Hardhome and BoB as well, and is the "big battle guy". Safe to assume we'll see another big battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The biggest cause for modest expectations about the King's Landing showdown is how uninspired the bad guys are. Okay, Cersei is great. But Qyburn has no apparent agenda or arc, the Mountain doesn't even talk, and Euron is probably the lamest character in the entire series - he's certainly the worst adaptation from the book to the show. Book Euron is a dark, terrifyingly ambitious, absolutely dead-serious killer. Show Euron has all the menace and gravitas of the drummer from Motorhead on a drinking binge.
And don't forget about the fearsome Golden Company, sans elephants.

Last edited by AltaGuy; 05-01-2019 at 12:54 PM.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #4570
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Pillow fight on a bed, except everybody is naked?

Now that I think about it, an orgy including all the main characters is the right way to end the series.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #4571
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

If that happened absolutely no one would be surprised.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #4572
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. I think Euron on the show is fantastic and was brilliantly cast.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #4573
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
It actually would be kind of interesting to have the remainder of the events play out like this: a denouement, rather than Cersei as a big bad.

However, the same director has been tasked with episode 5 as episode 3. He did Hardhome and BoB as well, and is the "big battle guy". Safe to assume we'll see another big battle.

And don't forget about the fearsome Golden Company, sans elephants.
I'm actually really hoping that we see a large, epic sea battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #4574
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Euron is on his way to Winterfell, right? What's going to happen? I've got to assume we aren't going to get another Winterfell battle, so will everyone else be making their way to Kings landing, and there won't be much of an army there for defence? Or do the dragons just wipe out the fleet so they aren't an issue?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #4575
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So Euron is on his way to Winterfell, right? What's going to happen? I've got to assume we aren't going to get another Winterfell battle, so will everyone else be making their way to Kings landing, and there won't be much of an army there for defence? Or do the dragons just wipe out the fleet so they aren't an issue?
Well, we know there are several chokepoints (not to mention thousands of miles) between Winterfell and King's Landing. The Neck and Moat Cailin. The Twins. The Trident. Harrenhal and the God's Eye. Their strategic importance has been painstakingly established earlier in the series.

Which is why I expect we'll have a scene of an army departing Winterfell, followed by a scene with said army forming up outside the walls of King's Landing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #4576
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well, we know there are several chokepoints (not to mention thousands of miles) between Winterfell and King's Landing. The Neck and Moat Cailin. The Twins. The Trident. Harrenhal and the God's Eye. Their strategic importance has been painstakingly established earlier in the series.

Which is why I expect we'll have a scene of an army departing Winterfell, followed by a scene with said army forming up outside the walls of King's Landing.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #4577
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Euron has all the menace and gravitas of the drummer from Motorhead on a drinking binge.
RIP, Philthy Animal, 2015
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #4578
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
In the duration of the battle at Winterfell Euron sailed to Eastwatch, back to Kings Landing, over to Qarth, then swung by Casterly Rock, then back, now he's on his way to the Iron Islands.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #4579
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that Jon would not be the one to kill the Night King. It makes sense because it would be so telegraphed. Like Beric, he was brought back to play a part.

I'm of the belief that Bran being the 3 eyed raven is also the lord of light. He foresaw that the only way for the night king to die was for Arya to kill him with the catspaw dagger. He/lord of light needed certain pieces to be in place in order for her to get to her goal. It was the only way he'd die.

Beric needed to provide space for her to escape the dead in the hall to get to Melisandra. He kept getting brought back because he was needed to be that Berricade.

Similarly if Jon wasn't in the courtyard, then Arya couldn't get passed the dragon as the dragon would have seen her and that would have been it. The night king needed to view Jon as the true threat and would have been focusing his dragon's attention on him. Not some small girl. Jon screaming what sounded like Gooooo go go makes sense. It created that small window for Arya to sneak through, run like hell and do what needed to be done. As for the time it took, it's only about 40 feet or so from the courtyard where the dragon was to where Bran and the Night King were. Doesn't take that much time for someone to sprint there. Because of the Night King's hubris, he didn't take her seriously. Much like Oberyn after he defeated the mountain. Let his guard down and it was the end of him.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #4580
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope Arya ends up as the head of the Kingsguard