Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #4421
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

nm
Old 12-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #4422
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
And people who don’t give 2 red cents about hockey, a luxury leisure pastime? What about them
Well they can go sit in their $300 million dollar Library that us hockey fans have to pay for but don’t give a flying ###### about.

Last edited by csnarpy; 12-22-2017 at 02:45 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #4423
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Well they can go sit in their $300 million dollar Library that us hockey fans have to pay for but don’t give a flying ###### about.
Don't compare a library to a private hockey arena, this has been debunked so many times.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #4424
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Don't compare a library to a private hockey arena, this has been debunked so many times.
Oh I know, just pointing out how dumb his argument really is.
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #4425
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Paging this post is terrible
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #4426
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Paging this post is terrible
And so are most of them in this thread. So sorry I forgot the green text, edited
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #4427
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Same arguments over and over. There tends to be a few hundred thousand people watching games and - in an amazing coincidence - they almost all reside in southern Alberta. It's almost like fans tend to have a connection with the geographically local team.

If 'TV fans' don't care about the Flames, why do we have this board? why do we have countless threads having the same discussions? why is there so much angst towards KK and Bettman whenever the idea of moving the team is brought up?
If the Flames moved, these people would stop watching hockey? spare your classic anecdotes about you not doing so.

The NFL does just fine in Canada without having a team. MLB does just fine without outside of Toronto

It's not like the Flames don't get any benefit from TV viewers. Pretty sure Rogers pays the NHL a pretty penny for us to get this free lunch (TV dinner?) from the Flames!

The same arguments get trotted out by both sides over and over. Don't act like you aren't contributing to this clusterf#^$

Last edited by Cappy; 12-22-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #4428
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
And so are most of them in this thread. So sorry I forgot the green text, edited
It’s really sad a statement like that needs green text
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #4429
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That is true, most aren't.

But we have to remember that the Flames (the team) and the arena are two different entities and two different businesses, even though they are intricately related.

And we also have to remember that only the very largest cities have the economics to make an entirely privately funded arena viable. Cities the size of Calgary can't, and thus choices have to be made.
1) not necessarily.

2) you have no evidence of this at all.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #4430
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That is the funniest part about it!

It's an absurd argument, but one that has been argued several times in this thread.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:58 PM   #4431
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
That is the funniest part about it!

It's an absurd argument, but one that has been argued several times in this thread.
Yeah, that it needed green text is an indictment on a segment of CP that actually genuinely makes that comparison, not the poster who posted it sarcastically or anyone that didn't catch the sarcasm.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #4432
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Why are people pretending like the options here are fully private or fully public?
To be fair, my post did start people down that tangent; in part because I was outlining how even with no public dollars, the Flames could build a new arena and make more money than they currently make. I'm not saying that is the only acceptable answer for me. I think the city's most recent offer was quite fair.

The bottom line for me is that with a new arena I will be priced out of Flames season tickets. To see that happen and see my tax bill go up significantly is not something I like.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #4433
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Same arguments over and over. There tends to be a few hundred thousand people watching games and - in an amazing coincidence - they almost all reside in southern Alberta. It's almost like fans tend to have a connection with the geographically local team.

If 'TV fans' don't care about the Flames, why do we have this board? why do we have countless threads having the same discussions? why is there so much angst towards KK and Bettman whenever the idea of moving the team is brought up?

Maybe the could stop bringing it up?

If it keeps dragging on like this coupled with the comments from that ball of slime in New York, more people are likely to tell them to #### off and take the team with them.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #4434
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Let me get this straight. You guys wouldn't pay a fee to have an NHL team in the City of Calgary?

I say fee because the rise in taxes for an arena would be likely less than what you pay on starbucks in a year.

I'm sure it'll be awesome to watch the Oilers in Edmonton while The Flames are in Houston.

It's a privileged to have a pro sports team in the city, not a right. I see MOST Calgarian's online want nothing to do with contributing in regards to taxes to make it happen, some prefer to see the team leave. WTF???

What the hell is going on up there?? Such a huge piece of pride and a true gift that the team exists there.

I'm awaiting, Coyotes, glendale blah blah blah.. I personally see the Coyotes gone barring a miracle so spare me.

I really don't understand it. So what if The Flames owners want a Katz deal? Guess what? HE GOT IT! and people in Edmonton seem pretty happy about it
Old 12-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #4435
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Let me get this straight. You guys wouldn't pay a fee to have an NHL team in the City of Calgary?

I say fee because the rise in taxes for an arena would be likely less than what you pay on starbucks in a year.

I'm sure it'll be awesome to watch the Oilers in Edmonton while The Flames are in Houston.

It's a privileged to have a pro sports team in the city, not a right. I see MOST Calgarian's online want nothing to do with contributing in regards to taxes to make it happen, some prefer to see the team leave. WTF???

What the hell is going on up there?? Such a huge piece of pride and a true gift that the team exists there.

I'm awaiting, Coyotes, glendale blah blah blah.. I personally see the Coyotes gone barring a miracle so spare me.

I really don't understand it. So what if The Flames owners want a Katz deal? Guess what? HE GOT IT! and people in Edmonton seem pretty happy about it
I'm stick of seeing billionaires hold city after city hostage with their sports teams, threatening to move if they don't get millions of dollars of free money for a new building that they will profit from. The Flames ownership and NHL itself have been extra disgusting with Calgary, going as far as trying to influence an election

If the Flames relocate I won't give a damn at this point, my interest in the NHL is at an all-time low. And even if I was still invested, it wouldn't make a difference where the Flames play to me. I can't afford to go to games anyways because it's so damn expensive, and would be even moreso in a new building

I hope Nenshi and the council sticks to thier guns and don't offer a penny more than they already have
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #4436
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:

It's the principle of spending tax dollars to help a sports franchise make more money. As far as I know you had a wealthy/decent life here in Calgary and are a huge sports fan so your priorities are likely skewed.

No, the majority of citizens aren't worried about a sports team, they are worried about paying bills and want their taxes going to things like daycare programs and other things that help them get through life easier.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #4437
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm sorry but that Edmonton deal is embarrassing for the city especially when that same owner goes and buys the single most expensive personal property acquisition in the history of the city of LA ~ total cost is basically 2 thirds of any arena deal in the league at this time. Good on the city of Calgary for sticking to their guns and trying to find common ground here so that there is a benefit for both the citizens and the team. To me, seeing 7 high multi millionaire and billionaire owners squabble over what amounts to a spit in a bucket for them honestly with regards to initial costs in order to have the general public 'pay for the dinner and the tip' is ridiculous and insulting; and to use pompous figure heads like Ken King and obnoxious media personalities like Francis to deliver this 'poor owners' jargon is getting old.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #4438
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
"Edmonton is the clear example of this. I mean, clearly, so much of Edmonton's flagging, sad, little ego is tied up in their hockey success that they needed to sign a scam of a deal to give a sweetheart arena over to Daryl Katz. And now all of a sudden the expectation is that Calgary is going to fall in line?

I'm afraid we're not that pathetic. We're just not that pathetic, as a city."

-Jen Gerson.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #4439
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
These examples are pathetic. But sure, let's pretend that we want to watch people eating in a restaurant on TV tonight. And let's pretend that the economics of a restaurant and an arena are the same.

If you don't want to have a local team, just say that. But these arguments (over and over and over) are ridiculous
TV users pay for watching the flames. Carriage fees and watching adds. TV watchers in Canada pay at least 500 million dollars for NHL. It's a fairly significant contribution relative to ticket prices. So to say that people who don't buy flames tickets don't support but recieve benefits is a Tier 2 argument.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #4440
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm a professional writer, and I guaran-damn-tee you that that library will be of no earthly use to me. Is it really $300 million worth of use to the rest of you?
Closed Thread