Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2024, 06:25 AM   #421
SemicolonD
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Say what you will about dgibb, but these are good points. I think his conclusion is correct.
It’s not so much that he’s completely wrong but more so how condescending his messages are. Sitting on his high horse when his GM was begging and leaking things left and right to trade for the very goalie he’s now ####ting on lol. It’s just funny acting smug after the fact, as if missing the playoffs was the plan all along.

Last edited by SemicolonD; 03-14-2024 at 06:29 AM.
SemicolonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:42 AM   #422
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Are you still here? And sorry guy on what planet are/were the Devils making the playoffs this season...Should have got off the wallet a long time ago
Now they traded a rental for pennies on the dollar

There is going to be multiple good teams with disastrous goaltending in the playoffs and the pressure will be on. Vezina caliber goalie for 2 years at 3M will get a massive return.
I worry that the Devils will be Meiered in Medicority unless they get a goalie. Part of their problem is that they burned a lot of assets for a middling player like Meier. At least Meier has more points than Zetterlund (34 compared to 30). One more move like that and Fitzgerald probably has them locked and loaded for another 5-10 years of rebuilding.

The only foresight that Fitzgerald had was making that first this year contingent on making the Conference Finals either last year or this year. That was never going to happen so it is only a second.

So the trade ends up being

Meier (34 points this year)
A bunch of scrubs including Hatakka

For
Zetterlund (30 points this year)
A former first round pick
A 2023 first round pick
A 2024 2nd round pick
A 2024 7th round pick
Some scrubs including the Flames current player Okhotyuk.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 03-14-2024 at 06:49 AM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:42 AM   #423
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Except he never offered Lindholm 9M x 8yrs. He hardlined it at 8.5M and stuck to it. If you heard otherwise, you heard wrong.
9M or 8.5M, hardly much of a difference.

But Conroy was, much like Treliving, chackled by the owners. He may well have felt that signing Lindholm was a big mistake.

The big difference was the lesson the owners learned from Johnny. "Don't walk players to UFA", so Conroy was greenlit to trade these guys.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:53 AM   #424
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Say what you will about dgibb, but these are good points. I think his conclusion is correct.
Yeah. Best case is value doesn’t decrease. I have a pretty hard time believing his value will increase. I could maybe get there if he was young.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:14 AM   #425
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think his value increases, but the potential the cost could increase if there is a bidding war with more teams involved.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:25 AM   #426
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I don't think his value increases, but the potential the cost could increase if there is a bidding war with more teams involved.
Yeah, I'm not getting the doom and gloom. There was one single team interested in Markstrom. That's a hard negotiation.

It seems there will be maybe two high end goalies available off season. We know NJ wants a goalie. We know Toronto always wants a goalie. There are a number of other who are about to discover their goaltending isn't good enough.

How much is Markstrom retained worth to an Avs team next year?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:28 AM   #427
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

People belly aching about Markstrom is like complaining about the 10% you didn't get when you passed a course at 90%.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 09:29 AM   #428
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

The Flames must have felt the value for Markstrom would be better than what Jersey was offering (which we don't know), or they would have dealt him.

The math wasn't good enough to hold him for the playoffs.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:39 AM   #429
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
People belly aching about Markstrom is like complaining about the 10% you didn't get when you passed a course at 90%.
This is a perfect way to sum it up!

Conroy traded 5 UFAs in less than favorable circumstances in a single season. That's pretty Damn good if you ask me. He also listened to teams on Markstrom and decided it wasn't an urgent enough matter to just take whatever offer was there.

Last edited by Burning Beard; 03-14-2024 at 09:43 AM.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:56 AM   #430
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The math wasn't good enough to hold him for the playoffs.
Never say never with the Flames
Offseason will be interesting to see if they trade Markstrom either way. I don't think you keep him into the start of the next season if the plan is to sell off the next wave of UFAs
Old 03-14-2024, 10:00 AM   #431
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, I'm not getting the doom and gloom. There was one single team interested in Markstrom. That's a hard negotiation.

It seems there will be maybe two high end goalies available off season. We know NJ wants a goalie. We know Toronto always wants a goalie. There are a number of other who are about to discover their goaltending isn't good enough.

How much is Markstrom retained worth to an Avs team next year?
I would guess if you took Georgiev and Girard off their hands (clearing 8.4 million in salary) and gave them back a 3 million dollar Markstrom it would be worth a lot. That would leave the Avs with a 400K savings in net alone and 5.4 million in savings overall. It would leave them with about 22.2 million to sign 11 players or so, with Middlestadt being the most expensive. It would give them one season to make a run with Rantanen signed and would create enough room with Girard off the books for them to likely sign Rantanen again.

You would have to be looking at Ritchie, a 1st and maybe another prospect in addition to the two salaried players you are picking up. Flames might have to throw in a 3rd rounder or two to balance it out but the Avs (especially if they don’t win this year) look like a logical trading partner.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 03-14-2024 at 10:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 10:01 AM   #432
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Even the Flames rumored hardline offer would have been a disaster for this franchise. Yikes, I'm so glad everyone was turning down conroy's offers to stay in Calgary.

It forced us in the proper direction.
The least we can do is put Lindholm in the forever a Flame for rejecting that contract and being greedy.

Would have been crippling.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:09 AM   #433
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
The least we can do is put Lindholm in the forever a Flame for rejecting that contract and being greedy.

It’s going to be hilarious to compare it to whatever he signs for in July. Had to have left $14-$21mil on the table.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:10 AM   #434
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I would guess if you took Georgiev and Girard off their hands (clearing 8.4 million in salary) and gave them back a 3 million dollar Markstrom it would be worth a lot. That would leave the Avs with a 400K savings in net alone and 5.4 million in savings overall. It would leave them with about 22.2 million to sign 11 players or so, with Middlestadt being the most expensive. It would give them one season to make a run with Rantanen signed and would create enough room with Girard off the books for them to likely sign Rantanen again.

You would have to be looking at Ritchie, a 1st and maybe another prospect in addition to the two salaried players you are picking up. Flames might have to throw in a 3rd rounder or two to balance it out but the Avs (especially if they don’t win this year) look like a logical trading partner.
The stakes go way up if Georgiev costs them in the POs. His gross numbers last POs look OK but game to game he was inconsistent, which you sure don't want. This year he's been average at best.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:16 AM   #435
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The stakes go way up if Georgiev costs them in the POs. His gross numbers last POs look OK but game to game he was inconsistent, which you sure don't want. This year he's been average at best.
As long as it is not to the Oilers I am fine with the Avs being beaten out this year. Limited playoff success for a team with arguably two of the top 4 players in hockey and a third player who is probably top 10. They might have a strong desire to win more than one Cup with that group.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:17 AM   #436
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post

I was kind of wondering if the Flames circle back to him in free agency. He's totally bombing in Vancouver (1 assist and only 12 shots in his last 10 games) worse than he was this season as a Flame. Teams are always going to be interested in 2-way centers so his agent's phone will be busy on July 1st but I have to imagine teams have taken notice that this guy doesn't have another gear, nor does he fit well with a lot of wingers so there's going to be a buyer beware stigma attached to him and he's going to have to settle for significantly less money than the Flames were willing to pay him and I would be surprised to see any teams willing to commit 7 years or anything north of $7 million.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:22 AM   #437
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I was kind of wondering if the Flames circle back to him in free agency. He's totally bombing in Vancouver (1 assist and only 12 shots in his last 10 games) worse than he was this season as a Flame. Teams are always going to be interested in 2-way centers so his agent's phone will be busy on July 1st but I have to imagine teams have taken notice that this guy doesn't have another gear, nor does he fit well with a lot of wingers so there's going to be a buyer beware stigma attached to him and he's going to have to settle for significantly less money than the Flames were willing to pay him and I would be surprised to see any teams willing to commit 7 years or anything north of $7 million.
I think his 2 way play is grossly overstated, if you go back to the player cards during that big season his defensive rating was around 70, while Johnny and Matthew finished 95 plus.

He's really good at faceoffs and on the penalty kill.

He has killed all value, I can't recall a player tanking their value like this before. He is going to have to sign a 1 year deal or take a reduced deal on a multi year deal.

I don't think he wanted to be here anymore either, I doubt he comes back. The team seemed a lot happier once he was gone.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:23 AM   #438
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don’t think he wants to come back in the first place but only way I’d be fine with them signing Lindholm is if Kadri gets traded.
I think he ends up in Boston
Old 03-14-2024, 10:23 AM   #439
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Lindholm was a default top line center AT BEST. He was between two elite players and was dragged along with them.

He wasn't even that good.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:24 AM   #440
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It’s going to be hilarious to compare it to whatever he signs for in July. Had to have left $14-$21mil on the table.
If some sucker gives him a 7x7 he cost himself 20 million total. I believe it was 8.6 AAV for 8 years we had on the table, and he was pushing for 9.5

Huberdeau and Lindholm for 20 million for 7 years.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good