Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #401
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see why Sony would do it. But I could totally see a cross platform developer making a game to the lowest common denominator.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #402
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I don't see why Sony would do it. But I could totally see a cross platform developer making a game to the lowest common denominator.
Sadly, me too, since this was the big cause of the "consolitis" that PC games experienced for a few years after the PS3/360 were released. I mean, who needs higher resolution texture assets right?

Would be equally sad if the PS4 started experiencing XBoneitis in a similar vein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #403
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Count on it. Multi-platform games are the best way for developers to make money. They're not going to limit themselves to one platform.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #404
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

And then once a big PS4 exclusive comes out that blows away everyone else, guess what happens to the games that come afterwards? Do they try to match this on the PS4 and nerf the XBone version, or do they continue to look significantly worse than this great looking PS4 title?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #405
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't wait for a Naughty Dog title on PS4.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #406
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
And then once a big PS4 exclusive comes out that blows away everyone else, guess what happens to the games that come afterwards? Do they try to match this on the PS4 and nerf the XBone version, or do they continue to look significantly worse than this great looking PS4 title?
I'm not sure this can happen anymore, or at least the window is much smaller. With a much larger PC market, a stupid awesome badass looking PS4 exclusive title would have to come out within ~6 months of launch (around the time the GeForce 8xx series will be out) to be knock out of the park gorgeous. The effect of a good looking console game has diminishing returns when more people have access to good looking PC titles. Who knows though, the hardware this generation may be powerful enough to give them a 1-2 year window? Proof will be in the pudding I guess.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #407
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn't devs just do the multi resolution/texture detail approach that PC gaming does for console games now? They have the sh*tty Xbone low profile, mid PS4 profile and PC multiple profiles when developing games instead of just going with the lowest common denominator?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #408
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Couldn't devs just do the multi resolution/texture detail approach that PC gaming does for console games now? They have the sh*tty Xbone low profile, mid PS4 profile and PC multiple profiles when developing games instead of just going with the lowest common denominator?
Adds development costs. Why do you think we see so many terrible console ports to PC? Sure they could implement this kind of setup, but I doubt many will
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #409
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryse apparently not 1080p.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #410
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Ryse apparently not 1080p.

Gross. If you want to see just how awful "upscaled" games look when their geometry & textures are optimized for a lower rez medium, take a look at Dark Souls on PC. Even at forced 1080, it still looks like muddy ass because of it's godawful texture work.

Quote:
Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #411
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dang, 5 million eh? Sounds like production numbers won't be a problem for Sony.

I wish Microsoft was more forth coming with their numbers (only for the sake of my curiosity). But I guess that's the nature of the game when you are behind and not leading.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/09/1...-by-march-2014

Sony Aiming to Sell 5 Million PS4s by March 2014
Old 09-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #412
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, that XBone 180 PSU is a lot larger than I would have thought. Even bigger than the 360 one. Can't wait til people started taking these consoles apart.

How did Sony make such a smaller console with more power? Maybe it'll be loud as heck and have it's own RROD problems.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #413
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a xbox 360s and the newest PS3 slim (top loading disc) and I couldn't keep the PS3 in my tv console, way too much heat and way too much noise with the fan. I'd rather have the external power supply if the other option is smaller console/noise.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #414
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Man, that XBone 180 PSU is a lot larger than I would have thought. Even bigger than the 360 one. Can't wait til people started taking these consoles apart.

How did Sony make such a smaller console with more power? Maybe it'll be loud as heck and have it's own RROD problems.

If the PS4 is actually more powerful it's negligible however it is curious how Sony could package similar hardware in a considerably smaller package. Maybe the RROD made Microsoft overly cautious this time around? Time will tell I guess.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #415
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If the PS4 is actually more powerful it's negligible however it is curious how Sony could package similar hardware in a considerably smaller package. Maybe the RROD made Microsoft overly cautious this time around? Time will tell I guess.
Sony has had many more years of miniaturization experience than Microsoft does so maybe this is just a result of that. There haven't been anywhere near the number of heat related issues on the PS3 vs and Xbox after all.

PS4 to start streaming PS3 games in 2014. I think I'll start buying all my PS3 games off of PSN now instead of physical disks so I can use the streaming service.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/19/47...4-ps-vita-2014
Old 09-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #416
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Sony has had many more years of miniaturization experience than Microsoft does so maybe this is just a result of that. There haven't been anywhere near the number of heat related issues on the PS3 vs and Xbox after all.

PS4 to start streaming PS3 games in 2014. I think I'll start buying all my PS3 games off of PSN now instead of physical disks so I can use the streaming service.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/19/47...4-ps-vita-2014
Excellent, I've been buying my PS3 games through PS+ now for awhile. This will make it very easy to shelve the PS3 for good
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #417
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remote play on PS4/Vita looking good and essentially no lag at all. Got to play the same areas myself but not with the Vita remote play.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #418
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS3-PS4 game upgrades will require the disk to be inserted during play. Not a huge issue but interesting.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09/...k-requirement/
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...-ps4-versions/
Old 09-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #419
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ makes sense - otherwise you could just pass the disks around/sell them after getting the upgrade.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #420
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have there been any hands on previews from bloggers that have had a chance to play the games running on actual hardware? I've seen previews talking about the hardware and about the games they've seen at trade shows.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote