Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #4021
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
*shakes head*

You had a chance this time NDP. You really did. But you screwed the pooch by trying to look like something you're not, and flip flopping on multiple policy issues as they started to look at the popularity of such things (MJ being one of the main ones). And then being dishonest (or, perhaps worse, ignorant) about your plan to fund and implement your policies.

Could have made history for their party. Got power hungry and saw stars in their eyes and went full....you know.
Instead, he got a one-way ticket to Palookaville.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #4022
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

NDP never had a chance anyhow, even with mad Jack at the helm.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #4023
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a note folks, according to CBC the results will begin trickling in from Atlantic Canada at 5:30 PM Mountain.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...atch-1.3275459

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Old 10-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #4024
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
I don't think the party coming in second should form government. If the CPC win the election and forms a minority government I have no problem with them negotiating with opposition parties to make parliament work.

I think the Liberal fanboys in this thread are hilarious though! Do you think it's awesome for the NDP to support a second place Liberal party into government but dastardly for them to do the same for the CPC?
Who thought that? As a Liberal supporter, personally I would sooner see a coalition with the CPC than the NDP. Mulcair did nothing but try to tear the Liberals down the whole campaign.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #4025
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

My mission is to defeat Harper.
My mission is to join Harper?

I would love to see a coalition, just for interests sake. A blend of two opposing viewpoints might turn out well for everyone (Though it didn't in any of my failed marriages).
Old 10-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #4026
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think the party coming in second should form government. If the CPC forms a minority government I have no problem with them negotiating with opposition parties to make parliament work.

I think the Liberal fanboys in this thread are hilarious though! Do you think it's awesome for the NDP to support a second place Liberal party into government but dastardly for them to do the same for the CPC?
Is this really surprising to you? NDP and LPC have many similarities in policies and are both left leaning. Most people voting for these parties have no interest in what the CPC has been doing. And it surprises you that the two left parties working together is more palatable to left-leaning voters than either one doing the same with the CPC?

It's not about underhandedness as much as it is about who we want to be making the decisions. Of course we're going to be on board with pretty much anything that helps who we want to win, outside of illegal means, obviously.

***EDIT I'd also like to point out the CPCer's who would support this own hypocrisy. For all the communist, fear-mongering BS that gets thrown their way by the CPCs, and now you're all OK with aligning to keep power? Give me a f***ing break.

Last edited by Coach; 10-19-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #4027
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
Just a note folks, according to CBC the results will begin trickling in from Atlantic Canada at 5:30 PM Mountain.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...atch-1.3275459
I think that all of the other polls close at roughly the same time though, with BC closing about 1/2 later. So while we might see the Liberal sweep in Atlantic Canada ahead of time, Ontario and everywhere else is close to all at once.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #4028
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think that all of the other polls close at roughly the same time though, with BC closing about 1/2 later. So while we might see the Liberal sweep in Atlantic Canada ahead of time, Ontario and everywhere else is close to all at once.
Yup, polls here in Quebec open 9:30am to 9:30pm
Old 10-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #4029
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

OT - Kept our son home from school today since his school is also a polling station. Didn't want to compete with the parking lot traffic and strangers hanging about the school.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #4030
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm not sure if this has all been posted in one place before in here, but anyway, can't hurt to repost if it has.

The Liberal Party platform is here: https://www.liberal.ca/…/New-plan-for-a-strong-middle-class…
The costing plan for their platform is here: http://www.liberal.ca/costing-plan

The Conservative platform is here: http://www.conservative.ca/…/p…/conservative-platform-en.pdf
The costing plan for their platform is here: http://www.conservative.ca/media/plan/costing-plan.pdf

The NDP platform is here: http://xfer.ndp.ca/2015/2015-Full-Platform-EN.pdf
They have not supplied a costing plan.
It's too bad it looks like this post fell on deaf ears. If I were to ask you what party has promised the most tax cuts and the highest increase on spending to make our streets safer who would you guess? Months ago I would have never imaged the answer is the Liberal party.

Also, if I'm reading it correctly the biggest Liberal promise in both increased revenue and increased spending is the removal of the UCCB and implementation of their Canada Child Benefit respectively. $20 billion/year in tax shuffling for families with children is the largest item in either parties platform.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #4031
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
... strangers hanging about the school.
Please tell me your're kidding.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #4032
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our polling station is the local Masonic Lodge.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #4033
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think the party coming in second should form government. If the CPC win the election and forms a minority government I have no problem with them negotiating with opposition parties to make parliament work.

I agree that the second place party shouldn't form the government, but it's within the current system for them to do so (i.e. don't hate the player, hate the game). But surely you'd agree the NDP and Liberal platforms align a good 80-85%, whereas the NDP and CPC align at maybe 10%?

A Liberal/NDP coalition to gain power might be distasteful, but it's close enough ideologically to not be something unusual. A CPC/NDP coalition? That'd be pretty ####ed up I'm sure you'd agree.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #4034
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
It's a well known fact that most kidnappers have also voted at some point in their life.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #4035
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Why though? If the Liberals have a minority, then they look to the NDP for help passing bills, which means some concessions to their platform.
I like how everyone always assumes the Liberals and NDP are the closest aligned. Maybe it's the ABC campaign getting to people's heads? Realistically a Liberal minority government will turn to the Conservatives for backing more often than not. They're both pandering to the populist vote and their platforms are more closely aligned than people care to admit.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #4036
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm assuming the lines are going to be massive today? I work on the other end of the city from the riding I'm registered to vote in and I don't think it's a good idea to pull the leave work early card today.... Damn it.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #4037
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
My mission is to join Harper?

I would love to see a coalition, just for interests sake. A blend of two opposing viewpoints might turn out well for everyone (Though it didn't in any of my failed marriages).
I don't see where the NDP said they would form a coalition with the Cons. One candidate said

Quote:
Andrew Thomson suggests on CPAC that the NDP might work w a Conservative minority to make Parliament work
That's far from forming a coalition, it just says they might work with the Cons. It may be only as some said on a case by case situation but go on with your jumping to conclusions that fits your bias that Mulcair is a dirt bag.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #4038
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I like how everyone always assumes the Liberals and NDP are the closest aligned. Maybe it's the ABC campaign getting to people's heads? Realistically a Liberal minority government will turn to the Conservatives for backing more often than not. They're both pandering to the populist vote and their platforms are more closely aligned than people care to admit.
Platforms yes, but regressive social policies that pander to religious fundamentalists are notably absent among the Liberal doctrine (though not among some Liberal candidates )

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I'm assuming the lines are going to be massive today? I work on the other end of the city from the riding I'm registered to vote in and I don't think it's a good idea to pull the leave work early card today.... Damn it.
Your work by law has to give you 3 hours to vote. Voting closes at 7:30 in AB, so they should be letting you off by 4:30 latest to vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #4039
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Nope. My wife was nervous about it. Apparently an abduction attempt last week at a local elementary school set her off.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #4040
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Our polling station is the local Masonic Lodge.
seriously?
Closed Thread