Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #21
FlamesFanInEdm
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am loving the Raptors recently. Really, really impressed with their chemistry and shooting. You can chalk me up on the Parker bandwagon too, I think he is a great player. Rasho has even been a steadying influence on the team. I'm very happy with the direction Colangelo has taken with this team.
________
Gong Bong

Last edited by FlamesFanInEdm; 03-16-2011 at 09:47 PM.
FlamesFanInEdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #22
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one guy on the Raptors I am not sold on is Parker.

I don't even think his defence is that stellar to get him the minutes that he gets.

I like the rest of the squad though. Wouldn't mind seeing someone other than Bosh sneak towards 10 rebounds a game though
Old 02-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #23
KTown
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
The one guy on the Raptors I am not sold on is Parker.

I don't even think his defence is that stellar to get him the minutes that he gets.

I like the rest of the squad though. Wouldn't mind seeing someone other than Bosh sneak towards 10 rebounds a game though

Parker is an awesome player. Correct me if I'm wrong but he was euro league MVP two times in a row. The guy is still fairly young and is adjusting quite well to the game.

The guy I'm not sold on yet is garbo, garbo is amazing on D, but too inconsistant on O. He had a great game today on O, but his last 4 were terrible. Reliable defender though.

This Raptor team is young and has lots of upside.
KTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #24
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

The Raptors just like the Flames have to show they can win on the road. The Nets are heating up a little so Toronto has to keep the foot on the gas pedal.

As for the rest of the NBA, so much for people saying Steve Nash is only the mvp because he plays with so many all stars.
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #25
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_1987 View Post
The Raptors just like the Flames have to show they can win on the road. The Nets are heating up a little so Toronto has to keep the foot on the gas pedal.

As for the rest of the NBA, so much for people saying Steve Nash is only the mvp because he plays with so many all stars.
Nash is a great player, but there may be something to that case. If you look at why he's an MVP nominee it's because of his crazy assist numbers. Look at that lineup who he's feeding it to...Marion, Amare, Barbosa, Diaw. Those guys are pretty good shooters. Now look at a team like Utah who has Deron Williams feeding assists to nobody's, and nobody never realizes it. It's somewhat hard to explain what I mean, but there is some reason to what they're saying. Nash is great, but if Marion is removed from the picture, I'm not sure he'd put up the same numbers.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #26
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Nash is a great player, but there may be something to that case. If you look at why he's an MVP nominee it's because of his crazy assist numbers. Look at that lineup who he's feeding it to...Marion, Amare, Barbosa, Diaw. Those guys are pretty good shooters. Now look at a team like Utah who has Deron Williams feeding assists to nobody's, and nobody never realizes it. It's somewhat hard to explain what I mean, but there is some reason to what they're saying. Nash is great, but if Marion is removed from the picture, I'm not sure he'd put up the same numbers.
I understand what your saying but the suns since Nash went down have not looked at all like the same team. He makes that team go, plain and simple.

Boris Diaw had been a virtual unknown in the NBA till Nash came to the Suns. Barbaso nearly doubled his points per game when Nash came to the Suns. They lost Amare for the entire season last year, and didn't even miss a beat. Steve Nash deserves all the credit he gets.

Williams is one the best young stars in the league, Utah isn't really a big market so you don't hear too much about him especially in Canada. But the guy is not passing to nobodys, Utah has built a very solid team and he's one of the cornerstones.
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #27
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Shawn Marion has one of if not the worst shots in the league. He certainly can score but his shot is garbage.

These guys are the scorers they are in large part because of the position that Nash puts them in and the way that Nash runs and organizes that offense. They lost to Atlanta without him in the line-up. If they were so great and carrying him along they should have easily beat the Hawks.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #28
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Don't really care much for basketball but go raps.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #29
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tonight's game is the biggest of the season thus far: last game before the all-star break, playing at home against division rival NJ Nets who they currently lead by 3.5 games. And NJ is playing without Kidd tonight. A Raps loss tonight would really let the Nets back into the race for the division title and give them some confidence. A win and the Raps are in great shape to win the division.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #30
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Quote:
But then, how would you explain Phoenix's terrible record over the past few seasons when Nash is not in the lineup? My opinion would be that this statistic strongly suggests that it is Nash who makes his teammates better rather than the other way around.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #31
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

the raps are leading the division by 4.5 games? wow, i had no idea, i guess that if i cheered for a team it would probably be them so good on 'em. may as well keep on truckin up the standings.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:15 PM   #32
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Two big games in a row for the Raptors as they first snap a 15 game losing streak against the Bulls with a 112-111 win, and than come back with a 120-111 win over the Nets. Suddenly they're 29-24 and not that far behind the other so called top teams in the East. It's been a pretty remarkable turn around.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:14 PM   #33
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Boy Barnagni looks like he could turn into Dirk part two, his outside game is pure, and the big guy can move. I love the way Calderon plays point, he is always on the attack, and tenacious on d. These guys are extremely exciting to watch, and have me interested in the NBA for the first time since the killing of the Grizzlies.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #34
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did anyone see Carter mumbling "MVP ya right" when the fans started chanting 'MVP!" for Bosh.

Not a huge basketball fan, but man I am ever glad that the Raptors dumped that pompous ass. He is such a clown and the biggest whiners/babies in the league.

Also pretty happy to see him and the Nets out of the playoffs while the Raps are in.

Last edited by Eagle Eye; 02-15-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #35
fanforever1986
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I can actually say I've watched the past 4 raptors games...first 4 of my life. The last quarter is basically the only one that effects the final score, but its fun to watch.

I may even buy one of those (and its about time its not purple) red hats with their newish logo if they make the playoffs.
fanforever1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:02 PM   #36
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think my favorite player in the NBA right now is Anthony Parker. The guy is a total class act, he's a solid player and he very seldom turns the ball over or takes stupid shots. The Raptors are a really fun team to watch, they have two point guards who can really get up the floor quick and they have a team that is willing to make the extra pass (unless TJ Ford is playing one of his greedy games which are thankfully not that often).

Add in a big guy in Bargnani who looks like an absolute gem (this guy can pass the ball!) and this team has a great future. Man, if only they took Granger instead of Graham in the draft a few years back (Granger was the guy I was hoping they'd take, I loved the way he played at New Mexico).
Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:11 AM   #37
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I think my favorite player in the NBA right now is Anthony Parker. The guy is a total class act, he's a solid player and he very seldom turns the ball over or takes stupid shots. The Raptors are a really fun team to watch, they have two point guards who can really get up the floor quick and they have a team that is willing to make the extra pass (unless TJ Ford is playing one of his greedy games which are thankfully not that often).

Add in a big guy in Bargnani who looks like an absolute gem (this guy can pass the ball!) and this team has a great future. Man, if only they took Granger instead of Graham in the draft a few years back (Granger was the guy I was hoping they'd take, I loved the way he played at New Mexico).
I never understood that one either. They said Graham was the better athlete and solely based on that, they took him (and they still laud him for his great build). The guy isn't lazy, but he's pretty clueless. As for Granger, don't know why they passed on him at the time when all he had was a broken leg (?). He's not a big loss though as his numbers aren't that solid, but they are better than Graham's.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #38
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I never understood that one either. They said Graham was the better athlete and solely based on that, they took him (and they still laud him for his great build). The guy isn't lazy, but he's pretty clueless. As for Granger, don't know why they passed on him at the time when all he had was a broken leg (?). He's not a big loss though as his numbers aren't that solid, but they are better than Graham's.
I think Graham would be a far better player if he played with a little passion and drive. The guy can be a very effective mid-range player if he uses his size to drive the lane as it will allow him to use his pull-up jumper a lot more which is surprisingly effective.

The big reason why the Raptors passed on Granger was his knee problems. What I like about him is how versatile he is - the guy was a statboard stuffer at New Mexico and he's going to be a solid all-around player for Indiana in the future.

Don't even get me started on the Raptors passing on Iguodala for Araujo.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #39
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Don't even get me started on the Raptors passing on Iguodala for Araujo.

ahh, but here's the thing, Babcock reportedly wanted Iguodala, but (I can't remember the executive's name - the really old guy not with the team anymore) wanted Araujo BADLY, and Babcock apparently had no choice. It's not even a rumor, it's fact (although I don't have the link). Even the VC trade was because of that executives decisions. I liked Babcock, though he made some major booboo's. I'm even happier that they got Colangelo, but a lot of moves that Babcock weren't really his fault, but he was the fall guy.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #40
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
ahh, but here's the thing, Babcock reportedly wanted Iguodala, but (I can't remember the executive's name - the really old guy not with the team anymore) wanted Araujo BADLY, and Babcock apparently had no choice. It's not even a rumor, it's fact (although I don't have the link). Even the VC trade was because of that executives decisions. I liked Babcock, though he made some major booboo's. I'm even happier that they got Colangelo, but a lot of moves that Babcock weren't really his fault, but he was the fall guy.
Yep, Babcock apparently wanted Iguodala but he was too new to the job so he trusted the judgement of the scouting staff already on board. Oh well, the ship has fortunately turned around now. I'm really curious to see what Colangelo does with Ford and Calderon though - Calderon is signed through next season at a very cheap rate but he's apparently being coveted by a number of teams.

Let's say Atlanta (who desperately needs a young point guard) comes calling and offers Josh Smith for Calderon - do you make the deal? I'd definitely have to consider it if an athletic small forward who can defend is headed to the Raptors.

Ford
Parker
Smith
Bosh
Bargnani

Truth be told, I'd rather trade Ford and keep Calderon though.